Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Sonata LX V6 with 225/50r17 Michelin MXV4 tires and it's time to replace them after 55k miles. I like them and I am considering going back to them, but the cost is staggering. I'd like find a less expensive alternative and also maintain the same quality, if possible. I'm interested to hear from anyone who switched from the same tire to something else. It's equally interested to know what to stay away from as I am to identify a good tire. Suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah I finally had to get new tires too. But there is no way I would pay that much for tires. I did some checking and got Nexen A5000 (60K warranty) for 80 bucks a piece total (tax, fees etc.). I first was only going to get a pair and told the tire guy I would pay cash at 150 out the door. But after seeing the new tires and the tread I got four. So I got four paid cash and got a good discount. Plus my new tires fit the wheel wells better.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
There are a few tire threads here already, so doing a search might be a good idea....

Maguzma, getting a good deal i one thing. The question is, are those tires good quality.... How's the ride?

·
Banned
335 Posts
QUOTE (maguzma @ Sep 2 2010, 07:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=353917
Yeah I finally had to get new tires too. But there is no way I would pay that much for tires. I did some checking and got Nexen A5000 (60K warranty) for 80 bucks a piece total (tax, fees etc.). I first was only going to get a pair and told the tire guy I would pay cash at 150 out the door. But after seeing the new tires and the tread I got four. So I got four paid cash and got a good discount. Plus my new tires fit the wheel wells better.
Just got off the phone with a Dealer who wants to sell me Sunny Tires. Never heard of them. Comes with 35K Warranty or 2
Years. :whistling: $85 each out the Door with Tax, Stems, Balancing, and an Alignment that I do seem to need now.
They look fine but I think I'm making a possible mistake? I can get BF Goodrich g-Force Sport 98894 - 225/50ZR17's brought to me
for less with a $60 Mastercard B F Goodrich is sending! But then I would have to lug 116 pounds somewhere in a box that I'm sure wont fit it the Sonata.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
sunnys are really low end tires. thats the brand my friends living off scholarship/financial aid money throw on the old civics. if your not a "spirited" or aggressive driver thats gona be pushing the car to the limit the sunnys (nexxen, achieles, nankangs, generals, federals, etc) should do fine. just make sure that they balance it right and that it doesnt take too many weights to balance them.

·
Banned
335 Posts
So this description is bull. Oh well. But all the reviews are really positive for this Cheap Chinese tire? Any thoughts on the BF Goodrich g-Force Sport 98894?

Attachments

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
I spent some time last night (had coffee, couldn't fall asleep), so did some research. Consumer Report is very happy with Hankook Optimo H727 so I did more research for reviews. It's about $100, and regarded as a great all-season tire, long-lasting, very quiet and does well in snow.

I went to our local Just-Tires guy (thanks, boehmb!) who thought the Hankook Optimo are very good, told me he can get me 4 for $550 OTD. But inspecting my OEM Michelin tires he told me to come back next year....

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ive used Falken zeix 512s an they worked pretty well imo. when i got my car....used it had a set of half used khumo....solus?? i think anyways alright all weather tires but when i switched to the falkens they were much much better and had much more grip on dry or snowy conditions. the only problem with the falkens is even with rotation every 5k they really only lasted me about 27K or so.....which from what i heard is pretty normal with them. but you get what you pay for...i dont mind spending any extra $15 to $25 a tire if there is a real marked difference you can see and feel. i guess the only reason i didnt mind them wearin so fast was cause i only paid $400 installed for all four.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just bought a set of 4 Kumho Ecsta LX platinum from tirerack for $83/tire. They are highly rated, have good specs and excellent warranty. Besides I saw their factory in Korea while I was there. And given that 80% of all cars in Korea are Hyundai - I figured they MUST have tested their tires for aerodynamics, noise, grip etc on a hyundai sonata :grin:

Got it shipped to my home and then installed for $48 (including disposal of old tires). Feel a definite improvement in road noise v/s my balding OEM Michelin mxvs8 - which lasted 47.2k miles and almost 5 yrs.....

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
4,858 Posts
Well I have tried pretty much all tires. LOL. My favorites were the BF goodrich KDWS's Look good hooked up very well did not last long. (almost $200 a tire) Falkens get great grip but I have to change them out about every 5-6months. ($150 per tire) The Nexen are cheap but nice and hard. Longest lasting tire I ever had, (1.5 years, $95 per tire) But never gave me traction. For the price of sunnys and how long they lasted I would just get the Nexen as I have had both. I have federals on my drift AE86 corolla. They are not bad. they get decent traction and last a while. I actually just recently put nankangs on my Sonata ($100 per tire) they have lots of grip equal to the falkens and a thread rating of 410. I am hopeful of these tires. I am sure I am forgetting some but there is my run down.

All prices listed are per tire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts