Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i dinged the tires a bit on a curb and i thought it was no biggie, just cosmetics. But i realized that as i was driving, the alignment was off slightly to the right and that worried me about my baby girl (my car). So after i rubbed my Hyundi down and apologizied for being a total idiot for overestimating the turn radius of the MIGHTY Hyundai, i went to the dealership for an inspection. They told me i needed new tires and rims and then they could perform an alignment because i guess the tire is slightly warped or something and that makes the tire useless or something. The price quote for a new tire + rim was about 700 bucks.... and that was enough to make me cry. So i was wondering, does anyone know of any good place to buy rims and tires cheap compared to the dealership? Also, whats the side effects of just driving it slightly crooked all the time? Oh and, its just a slight scratch on the rims and i personally dont see anything warped about the tire itself.... am i getting scammed by the dealership to buy an expensive tire? (Id hate to believe it cuz the sales guy was super chill and seemed like an honest and legit dude) Any information and comment will be helpful, so please comment!

Thanks in advance,

Steve

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The $700 price is about accurate for factory Rim. Factory stock rims aren't cheap. You are better off buying 4 new aftermarket rims for the price of one factory rim. Then sell the remaing 3 good one to make back some of the money.

As far as if it is damaged, might try visiting a independent tire shop and get their opinion.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm thanks for the advice Souks, ill definitely get another opinion about the damage. And if i had known how expensive these rims were i woulda treated it better..... only if i had just swallowed my manhood and reversed instead of trying to just bully my way past the curve.

·
Registered
854 Posts
According to my CCC Pathways estimating system the list price on the SE wheel is $362.13 each. The price of the tire is probably about $110-160. Add dealer mark up and that sounds about right.

If I was you i'd assess what is important to you then go in two directions.

Direction 1, find the wheel online for cheaper, have the tire inspected by a couple other places to get their opinion to see if it really needs to be replaced, if it does buy a tire online too. This should save you a couple hundred bucks at least. Then have you local tire place put it on for 15-20 bucks. I could sell you the wheel also but with shipping it might not be worth it. Where you located?

Direction 2 - Look for a set of aftermarket rims and tires for a little more than $700 if you go with 18's. www.wheelsnext.com is the site i might get my rims from, check em out they have package deals.

I'd also go to a couple of tire places to show your wheel and get some other opinions.

Goodluck.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I think that price is about right. When I thought about buying a ltd and getting the dealer to put on the 18" SE wheels they wanted around $2,500 total.

·
Registered
94 Posts
So you "Curbed" it. Slight scratch your dealer is trying to take you.

Find a good tire shop that does alignments.

Have them removed the Damaged rims and put on Balancer.

If they run out fine then no damage to rim as "Bent" just a scrape.

Have them do an alignment and good to go!

If you really hate your Scrape the Rim can be refinished "repaired" like new!

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, when i started this thread, i honestly didnt expect so much replies and help. This just goes to show that this forum really is a healthy and helpful place for fellow Hyundai owners!

@eyecue i live in Orange County and im gonna get my tires checked out soon and im really hoping that the tire isnt too damaged. But just in case it is, im looking online for price quotes and best price for the tires. The idea of replacing them with aftermarket rims is actually a great idea and something ill ponder about for a while.

Again, thanks for all your interest and help everyone!

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (Kobe_81 @ Aug 24 2010, 01:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351644
Wow, when i started this thread, i honestly didnt expect so much replies and help. This just goes to show that this forum really is a healthy and helpful place for fellow Hyundai owners!

@eyecue i live in Orange County and im gonna get my tires checked out soon and im really hoping that the tire isnt too damaged. But just in case it is, im looking online for price quotes and best price for the tires. The idea of replacing them with aftermarket rims is actually a great idea and something ill ponder about for a while.

Again, thanks for all your interest and help everyone!
Yeah shipping wouldn't be too smart.

You're welcome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts