Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of mechanics suggested I change the tires. They are loosing pressure quiet frequently. Basically I know nothing about the Tires. So I need your suggestion on the Tire brand, rating and other size specs that I need to buy. All 4 tires.

I have stock SE 18 inch wheels.

My requirements:
I cruise about 120 mph (rarely) max. So I don't want any wobbling. Keep road noise to the minimum. Good mileage. Thread lasting up to 45,000 miles.

I have a Costco membership and I have a cousin working for discount tires.

So please suggest accordingly. You may suggest other stores/online too. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
So I don't want any wobbling
make sure to get " road force balancing "

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I've always purchased from DiscountTire. They will negotiate on prices.

I don't know of a specific tire for your needs, but I have Michelin energy savers and theyre bar non the best tires I've had on any vehicle. The Primacy MXV4 or something like that are about the best tires on the market.

·
Registered
330 Posts
varunkumars; there are reviews on this forum about the Milestars. The overall thought on the Milestar is for the price they are excellent tires, quiet, good wet and dry traction. My one concern would be your 120 MPH max speed, yes they are V rated (149 MPH sustained speeds) but it would not be fun to find out if the Chinese rating is the same US ratings.

·
Registered
169 Posts
there is more than size requirements when choosing a tire for the Sonata specially the SE or the turbo. I would advise you to do your homework, check the specificatons from Hyundai on your model and then check the tire manufacturer for compliance. you will find that some of the tires that are popular here are not fully compliant with the Sonata. in fact some stores will not even install the because they are under spec for the vehicle and do not want to be liable. I went through this a couple of months ago and was surprised to see that the sonata puts a lot of stress on the tires.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Costco put 4 Michelin tires on our car a few months ago... what a big different from OEM. Wish that we replace those a week after we purchased a car!

·
Registered
564 Posts
I put Michelin Primacy MXV4s on my Sonata after the OEM Kumhos wore out. Initially they were great, but now 28,000 miles later wet and dry traction is barely adequate. They wear like iron, but lose their performance characteristics well before they lose their tread.

Check out the Continental PureContact, Supposed to be a great tire.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=PureContact+with+EcoPlus+Technology&partnum=245VR8PUREC&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Hyundai&autoYear=2011&autoModel=Sonata&autoModClar=SE

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all guys, I did a lot of homework and I kind of reached somewhere and need your final advice.

According to my research I think it is better to pick a tire with load index 95. 91 may be good too but I don't want to risk.

Kumho Ecsta PA31
These are very much affordable. Have good reviews but I have a doubt if they go well with Sonata.
Price : $535 (incl shipping)- $50 rebate
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+PA31&partnum=245VR8PA31XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus
According to my research these are the best and I didn't see a single negative review for this tire. But the price is a bit steep.
Price : $676 (incl shipping)

Amazon.com: Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus Radial Tire - 225/45R18 95V: Automotive

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
If you have a cousin working at discount tire then go there and get the Pirelli. Kumho tires are great at first but them seem to wear quickly and ride rough.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus

thats what i bought last spring, and i love em
...great tire

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just put a set of kuhmo ecasty(sp) LX platnum and there pretty good.

thanks
pat

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just installed 225/45/R18 Pirelli's Cinturato P7 plus All Season. What a difference comparing to Hankook OE tires. BTW they were cheaper than Hankook.They a little noisy at high speeds but i just radios the volume on the radio.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Older mags oxidize, so clean the sealing areas and even add a sealer. If you don't,
the new tires will leak as well!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts