Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2012 Sonata came with Hankook Optimo H431 at 225/45R18. We bought the car summer 2012 and had a rude awakening when the first light snow fell last December - she could barely go anywhere! We thought something was seriously wrong with the car but after researching the problem, we realized the problem was the tires. They are complete junk in any kind of snow (just look at the surveys from them on TireRack). And living in a hilly part of New York State, we need tires that can handle well in snow. We made it through last winter but I'm looking to get new tires before this winter.

I'm zeroing in on Continental's PureContact with EcoPlus Technology as it has great TireRack surveys across the board - and especially in the snow category. As I want to make sure I get the best tires for snow - but unfortunately can't wait to get them after it starts snowing - I'm wondering if anyone here has these tires in this size on their Sonata that drives in snow. I'd really appreciate any and all feedback.

Or if there's another tire I should consider, please let me know. Our Hyundai dealer quoted a Nexen tire and another Hankook tire, but I am very leery to get more Hankooks after our experience with these. Thanks!

Mark

·
Registered
143 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't see any user reviews/ratings for the Pirelli on tirerack, so that scares me. This may not be an issue for someone who doesn't drive in snow, but for me I have to make sure to get tires that work well in snow. The Continental is looking like it might be my only choice.

Has anyone heard of Nexen tires? Any experience with them?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I just ordered (1) new one from Discount Tires Direct, awesome prices, if you shop around and find the same tire cheaper somewhere, they will lower there price. Plus get a 9$ warranty that covers (flats, punctures, damage, and so fourth) I just got a new set of rims and tires from a fellow member and had a hole in my sideway, so had to get a new tire, I'm running MileStar MS932 Sports, on 18" montegi MR118's.
I never heard of milestar tires before, and a lot of people haven't, but they have HIGH really good ratings, on the tire, there just under 80$ a tire, Oh yeah Discount Tires Direct, have free 2-3 business days FREE SHIPPING on all orders! That's a plus!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spoke to a local tire dealer and when he saw the tread of the Continental, he was a little worried about how it would perform in snow. He said he's never sold that tire before so he has no first hand knowledge on it. Then he recommended a Multi-Mile Performance LS tire, which I had never heard of. He says they sell enough of them that's he comfortable with them. I've never heard of them and they aren't listed on TireRack for reviews. Anyone heard of them? As a brand are they good?

Multi-Mile - Performance

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was looking at these too, but after discovering I could use the Defenders on my car (non-standard size for the GLS (2013) I own, but they fit), I opted for that instead. Nice ride, good traction.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which size Defenders did you get? My 2012 SE has 225/45R18s and that size isn't listed on the Michelin site. I see only 215/55R18, 225/50R18 and 225/55R18.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I spoke to a local tire dealer and when he saw the tread of the Continental, he was a little worried about how it would perform in snow. He said he's never sold that tire before so he has no first hand knowledge on it. Then he recommended a Multi-Mile Performance LS tire, which I had never heard of. He says they sell enough of them that's he comfortable with them. I've never heard of them and they aren't listed on TireRack for reviews. Anyone heard of them? As a brand are they good?
Be careful, that tire may just have a higher profit margin. Brand name tires got advertising to pay for so resellers profit margins are smaller as the result.

I got Conti's eco on my car since July. Just great in every respect. No winter/snow experience yet hoverer

·
Registered
201 Posts
How does the road hazard warranty work if you purchased tires on the internet. Are you reimbursed or does installer handle warranty like this?

·
Registered
480 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Buy tires local, most places will be able to order anything you want and match prices, that way you get your warranty through the local shop so if anything happens you don't have to sit on a phone and have the hassle of shipping your bad tire back or waiting for your new tire.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Don't want to thread steal from the OP, but Discount Tires Direct were the cheapest for me, and no know around me could get me MileStar. Every place I called know one heard of MileStar, either did I until I got them lol. But the have really high ratings. And they are a nice low profile tire.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
559 Posts
Tell me about the worthless Hankooks! I almost got killed a few times. Took the wife's Durango anytime it dusted, which is a lot where I live!

I'm getting Continental ExtremeContact DWS installed tomorrow at 8am. Rank #1 for snow traction for an all season on Tirerack. Paying $803 out the door at Discount Tire w/ road hazard. Had to order them as DT didn't stock them in 225/45/18. Took a week to get in.

Costco had the Michelin MXV4 for mid $700's but the Contis rank higher on TR for snow/ice.

I haven't rotated my tires in over a year. The fronts are almost bald and the rears look semi new. Every chance I get I smoke 'em! I wouldn't even give these Hankooks to the ex wife! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts