Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday something new happened with my Santa Fe, When i go to start the car and press the button "foot on brake" it did not start.

The Info screen said Press Start button again. The car started fine ODD i thought.

Then when i got to Home Depot and i go to turn the car off, Again it said to press button again.

Same thing for the ride home. tried a few time in both parking lot and drive way its acting the same way.

Any Idea's ?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Change the fob battery?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both mine and my wife's fobs are doing the same thing.

Normally it tells you when Battery is low. i have changed tons of them "where i work we repair and replace car fobs and keys"

I will try the battery just in the odd case.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Even with a dead or dying battery, you should be able to hold it right next to the Start button and it should start. When it starts, does it crank for a few seconds longer than usual or starts right up? I honestly hate the push-button starters (our 2014 SF has it); no feedback. Also, push the brake and have someone verify your brake lights are on; could be your brake switch. What's the year and how many miles?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2016 has 19,000 KM mostly wife drives it. She works from home so its just our driving around town car.

I have a Company Truck. just odd that it is taking two presses to start.

The Car is telling us to Press again so, only odd thing is when the wife got it in, i was cleaning to snow around the car and driveway.

and she told me that she flipped the windshield wiper on and then it wouldn't stop. the car was running with remote start at the time.

but the windshield wiper problem was not repeatable. Just odd stuff, never a lick a trouble with the thing.

I do have to take it in for an oil change soon "Free for 5 years". so ill talk to them, and report anything useful back.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,574 Posts
Crazy electrical stuff happens when the voltage and current aren't at specs.
Meaning is to clean up all battery terminals, alternator terminals, and starter terminals
Along with the grounding straps.
Restoring the electrical system is the first step in troubleshooting this issue
Sometimes it is the only step.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
If you are still getting an "apply brake" massage I agree with a prior post. See if you brake lights are working every time the pedal is pressed. If that checks as good or is no longer happening, remove any cell phone chargers or anything else electrical that is not original equipment and see if the problem stops. If so, then add them back one at a time until you find the one interfering with the signal between the key and the vehicle.

Next step...If you have any RFID cards, such as key cards that you swipe or insert to open locks / doors...Remove those from the vehicle including your wallet and see if the problem goes away. That may include credit cards....

Last step....If you added any LED bulbs to the interior lighting....Remove them and see if the problem goes away. Some LED bulbs can create RF interference with key to vehicle communications.

Given the odd wiper issue....You might have something going on with the body computer. Still plenty of warranty left on that so if the above items fail to resolve the issue and you can duplicate it, might be Dealer time.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I had a 2008 Kia that had a starting problem (after it died once and took 28 days to get it back - another story) for a couple of weeks. I just did not start at all, push to start car. After some 10 min of trying this and that one day it finally started, when to work and started again at end of work and went to dealer. They checked this and that, nothing. It happen a couple of days later, no start. Tried this and that and it finally started and brought to dealer in morning and got a rental for work. They said the same.. garage door openers, extra fobs, cell phone. This was 9 years ago.. and I guess they fixed it as it never did it again. Maybe the old brake switch. They had TWO contacts on the brake switch, one for brake one for start. Could also be the neutral safety switch. Only did it those couple of times in that two week period. Then worked fine after the dealer looked at it, then sold it for a 2014 SFS many months later without any other problems (58K on it).

Didn't someone else have this problem. Needed to press the start button twice. Many times people present the problem, then disappear and not state if it was fixed or what.
With mine, you could here a slight "tick" when the start button was pressed when it would not start.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing just happened to me this morning! Three month old 2017 Santa Fe less than 5,000 km. But, I did notice that my brake pedal was stiff and had no give at all when I pressed down in it, usually i can press down and there's always a few inches of movement. With a second try on the start button it started and I then felt the brake pedal depress.

Strange and first time occurrence I thought may be weather related (-16C this morning), but it hasn't ever happened before in colder weather.

It definitely has something to do with the brake and not fob batteries. I'll see if it happens again and report back.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Just for clarification.....

The hard brake pedal is simply an indication that the brake power booster's vacuum reserve was depleted. That will not cause a no start. You can deplete the vacuum by pressing on the brake a time or two after you turn the engine off. Normal condition. Pedal going down after the engine is started with your foot on the pedal is also normal.

The brake switch itself could be an issue, but that will not cause the hard pedal.

UNLESS....If the brake switch is holding the pedal partially applied then you could have a hard pedal when you get it. In many cases though you would see the brake lights illuminated if that were the case. That still may not translate into a cause for the no start condition though....

Reactions: kpanasew
1 - 10 of 10 Posts