Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a few post on what people have been doin with their speakers in their sonata's. I just wanted to see what most people's opinons and any helpful info people can give? I was thinking of putting some 6.5 coax in the rears then maybe thinking of doing some 6.5 comps up front. If i do this should i get another amp to power them if so it has to be a 4 channel right?...how would it sound if i just replaced the exisiting speakers with the new ones w/o an amp? i did that in my xterra and it didnt' sound too bad. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
854 Posts
putting in higher end speakers with no amp is like taking steroids and not working out.

U need power to put the speakers to work.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (eyecue @ Jul 16 2010, 11:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342234
putting in higher end speakers with no amp is like taking steroids and not working out.

U need power to put the speakers to work.
Thats a pretty unfair analogy. There is a huge variance in quality of speakers. OEM speakers are RARELY ever up to the quality of decent aftermarket speakers. There is some validity in simply replacing the speakers without anything else, but its important that you keep realistic expectations.

Yes, installing aftermarket speakers and an amp will return better results than just speakers alone, but until we have someone who tries it, we wont really know how much of an improvement there is.

Since many people look for bass when considering a stereo upgrade, but dont want to mess with removing the stock stereo and doing custom wiring, your best bet would be to find a quality line level convertor and use that to drive an aftermarket amp and sub and see what you think of that.

If you're looking for a crisper sound with better treble, you should replace the speakers with ones with dedicated tweeters. That should give a considerable upgrade on a budget and wont involve cutting into any stock wiring or disassembling the dash.

·
Registered
143 Posts
QUOTE (Toshiro Toyama @ Jul 16 2010, 11:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342221
I've read a few post on what people have been doin with their speakers in their sonata's. I just wanted to see what most people's opinons and any helpful info people can give? I was thinking of putting some 6.5 coax in the rears then maybe thinking of doing some 6.5 comps up front. If i do this should i get another amp to power them if so it has to be a 4 channel right?...how would it sound if i just replaced the exisiting speakers with the new ones w/o an amp? i did that in my xterra and it didnt' sound too bad. Any suggestions?
I assume you have the standard radio which I have as well. I am looking at just replacing the speakers as sell. Let us know what you decide to do and how it works out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am in the process of installing some aftermarket stereo equipment in my Sonata. I am taking many aspects in play on this install such as keeping the stock head unit for less theft chance but am adding all new speakers and an amp. A sub will come in the form of a single 10" ported as I am looking for more SQL than SPL.

When opening up this question you will ultimately need to ask yourself what you are really looking for by way of sound. You will find many different opinions on this and most will not be much help unless you have a goal you are looking towards.

The stock 6.5" speakers in my GLS look like this:

as you can see the magnet is really small and the construction isn't that nice so you will not be getting much out of this type of speaker.

Things you should focus on are:
What type of sound am I looking for? Headbanger Loud, Symphony Clean, or Boom from a mile away.
What is my budget?
Factory replacement or customized installation? A clean swap or cutting and fitting.

Once you have those in mind you can start to get a feel for what type of equipment you can use or need for your install.
It will help with understanding a lot of the opinions you get back as replies.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just had my speakers replaced in my base stereo system in my SE. I put JBL GTO638 6.5-Inch 3-Way speakers in the front and Sony XS-GT1626A 6-1/2" 2-way Speakers in the back. Like most people have said the bass isn't much improved. Probably only a sub-woofer will fix that. That being said, the sound is still much improved. This is an upgrade worth doing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts