386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
August Australian sales figures are in and look something like this:

Camry - 2,000
Mazda6 - 450
Subaru Liberty (Legacy) - 400
Honda Accord Euro (Acura TSX) - 300
i45 (Sonata) - 150

So, Camry outsold Sonata by a factor of over 13 to 1 last month!! Sonata sales are also down 40% on the previous month, and this is after only 3 months on sale...

I find this really disappointing, considering Hyundai has been heavily advertising the i45 here. If it doesn't do well, my resale is going to suffer badly :(

I suspect one of the reasons is that they still haven't released the base model yet. It would be like Hyundai in the US only releasing the SE and Limited, and not the GLS.

There are a few other possible reasons including the largely negative reviews here regarding it's ride, handling, and steering response, and the lack of availability of bluetooth, GPS, or heated seats.

However, it's probably just down to the Australian "sheep" mentality of only buying cars that friends/family drive/recommend, or everyone else has, to fit in and conform. In order to do that here, you have to drive either a) an SUV (of any make), b ) a Japanese brand - Toyota or Mazda, c) a European brand, or d) an Australian car. If you have a Hyundai here there's still the mentality that you're cheap or have no taste or interest in quality. Sad but true.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It's unfortunate since you aussies get a panoramic sunroof too. Id gladly trade up my heated seats for that bad boy.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (kton @ Sep 4 2010, 11:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354247
It's unfortunate since you aussies get a panoramic sunroof too. Id gladly trade up my heated seats for that bad boy.
You're getting the panoramic sunroof on your Turbo Limited model.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
QUOTE (Davez621 @ Sep 4 2010, 08:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354238
However, it's probably just down to the Australian "sheep" mentality of only buying cars that friends/family drive/recommend, or everyone else has, to fit in and conform. In order to do that here, you have to drive either a) an SUV (of any make), b ) a Japanese brand - Toyota or Mazda, c) a European brand, or d) an Australian car. If you have a Hyundai here there's still the mentality that you're cheap or have no taste or interest in quality. Sad but true.
Oh trust me....we have people like that here, as well. I had some girl with an Acura CL tell me that my car was the biggest piece of junk and would never last....never mind that her car had something like three or four warning lights on, sounded and ran like crap. Let the ignorant be ignorant.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,238 Posts
Odd. Motorweek reviewed 10 models of this genre and Sonata blew away the competition. My only real beef is the low head clearance in the back seat but I'm 6'6" tall and 67 years old. I liked the old Sonata just fine but I'm an old fogey. If the reviews are making these claims they are full of bulloney. I've driven it and it is magnificent. I do agree that they should also market the GLS. You have some strange reviewers there if they downplayed the new Sonata. It makes no sense to me at all.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Sep 4 2010, 02:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354293
Oh trust me....we have people like that here, as well. I had some girl with an Acura CL tell me that my car was the biggest piece of junk and would never last....never mind that her car had something like three or four warning lights on, sounded and ran like crap. Let the ignorant be ignorant.
Yes but the difference with Australia is that 99% of people are like that here, not just some.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (rmissourimule @ Sep 4 2010, 04:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354318
Odd. Motorweek reviewed 10 models of this genre and Sonata blew away the competition. My only real beef is the low head clearance in the back seat but I'm 6'6" tall and 67 years old. I liked the old Sonata just fine but I'm an old fogey. If the reviews are making these claims they are full of bulloney. I've driven it and it is magnificent. I do agree that they should also market the GLS. You have some strange reviewers there if they downplayed the new Sonata. It makes no sense to me at all.
They had good things to say as well, but the reviews were mixed. Basically they said that while the i45 is a big improvement from the Sonata, it's still not close to the class leading cars in the segment, mainly in terms of handling and driving enjoyment. This includes the Honda Accord Euro (TSX), Mazda6, Subaru Liberty, and Suzuki Kizashi. The press here are extremely tough on new cars, much more so than in the US. Expectations seem to be much higher.

·
Registered
68 Posts
the mentality of only buying cars that friends/family drive/recommend, or everyone else has, to fit in and conform is the same here in Brunei, our sonata has the same specs as the Aussie market. ;)

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,238 Posts
What I don't understand is how the rest of the world market can be this far out of sync with the American
market. Hyundai is on the upswing and they not only are climbing in sales but in the lowest amount of inventory as can be seen by the following link.There is somethng terribly wrong with these sales and perception of this automobile. In virtually all of the tests I have seen both on television and in print, the new Sonata simply swamped the competition.

http://wardsauto.com/keydata/USSalesSummary/

Not only that but the inventory levels are among the lowest in the industry. This further indicates these new models are flying out of the showroom. We have the new Elantra coming along in December which is a smaller version of the Sonata and the Equus is coming along shortly to compete at the top of the line Mercedes.

http://wardsauto.com/keydata/USInventorySummary/

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (rmissourimule @ Sep 5 2010, 01:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354473
What I don't understand is how the rest of the world market can be this far out of sync with the American
market. Hyundai is on the upswing and they not only are climbing in sales but in the lowest amount of inventory as can be seen by the following link.There is somethng terribly wrong with these sales and perception of this automobile. In virtually all of the tests I have seen both on television and in print, the new Sonata simply swamped the competition.

It might just be the price. When Honda introduced the new 7th gen. Accord in 2003 they priced it at $34,250 and it only sold a little over 3,000 that year. The next year the free trade agreement with Thailand meant that prices dropped to $29,990, and sales more than doubled to 7,000. At the moment the Sonata is $34,490 here, so hopefully the new upcoming base model might have the same effect.

The reason the Camry does so well here is because it's made here. It's number 1 and always will be. No other car has a chance of topping it. A large chunk are sold to rental companies and other businesses/fleets.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,238 Posts
That's too bad. Here the prices hardly moved at all from the old models. In fact, the top of the line models in some cases went down in price.

QUOTE (Davez621 @ Sep 5 2010, 01:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354475
It might just be the price. When Honda introduced the new 7th gen. Accord in 2003 they priced it at $34,250 and it only sold a little over 3,000 that year. The next year the free trade agreement with Thailand meant that prices dropped to $29,990, and sales more than doubled to 7,000. At the moment the Sonata is $34,490 here, so hopefully the new upcoming base model might have the same effect.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (rmissourimule @ Sep 5 2010, 01:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354477
PePers

That's too bad. Here the prices hardly moved at all from the old models. In fact, the top of the line models in some cases went down in price.
The Sonata at one point (in 2003) cost only $22,990 here. That was actually only a couple of grand more than the Elantra at the time. You can't get a mid-size car in this country anymore for that price :(

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,238 Posts
I'm having a devil of a time in posting. I can't see my cursor and can't edit my posts.????

What I wanted to say was that the Elantra is also selling very well. I looked at one the other day and was impressed as a small car for the money. A person could lease one for $99 a month with a $2500 down and buy the car at the end of the lease or buy it outright at $14,000. I thought it offered a great deal for the money.

I was also going to add that I'm an old fogey and the older Sonata appeals to me although I am giving very serious consideration to the 2011 Azera GLS model. I drove one the other day and absolutely fell in love with it. Currently negotiating with two dealers. I love the new wheels and it has all the bells and whistles of the Limited without the gingerbread which doesn't appeal to me.

Barring that coming to fruition I'll probably stick with my 2009 Sonata and 2008 Sonatas. They are still as tight as the day they rolled off the assembly line. Simply the best cars I have ever owned. For the money they can't be beat. And don't look now but the resale has gone way, way up too. Check out the prices on ebay and internet and you'll pay top dollar for a good used one. The bad old days of Hyundai are way past us. It is my opinion that they are well on the way to dominating the auto market. When they deliver the best for less, how can they miss. Remember when Wal-Mart was just a small store in Bentonville, Arkansas? I do.

If you have Excel, move (at the bottom) to the actual vehicles and you can see where Sonata places in the actual sales of mid level vehicles. Now up to #8 among top 10.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts