Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a brand new '13 Sonata GLS last week.

A couple of things I am noticing right off the bat-

Rough ride- feel every bump- alot more than on my other cars ('09 accord, '06 camry) ------ The dealership had delivered car with overinflated tires, which I rectified, but I am still feeling a bumpier ride than I expected... will this "break in" once tires and suspension get a bit worn?

Crap sound on the stereo - I am shocked by how muddy the sound is - using cd's, sirius/xm, conventional am and fm - Really disappointing. :mad:

Any thoughts on either of these aspects?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The SE rides rougher than than the GLS so I can't comment on the ride. The stock stereo does suck. Worse stereo I have had on a car in the last 10 years.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts

Rough ride- feel every bump- alot more than on my other cars ('09 accord, '06 camry) ------ The dealership had delivered car with overinflated tires, which I rectified, but I am still feeling a bumpier ride than I expected... will this "break in" once tires and suspension get a bit worn?

Crap sound on the stereo - I am shocked by how muddy the sound is - using cd's, sirius/xm, conventional am and fm - Really disappointing. :mad:

Welcome to the ever-expanding Sonata family :00000732:. Here a some suggestions for you to help with the issues you describe

Ride: Check your tire pressure as soon as you can. Most of us who have bought our cars new have found that the tires are massively over-inflated (either by the factory or the dealer). Your car should have Kumho Solus 16 inch tires, which are give a pretty comfortable ride for what they cost. BTW tire pressures are inside your driver door towards the back of the car. I have the 18s on my car and they ride very nice for being low profile. Also, you will thank yourself at replacement time because the 18s are very expensive.

Stereo: Yeah, this is a weak point and, short of an audio upgrade, you gotta live with it. However, I would ask what source you are listening to the most. If its satellite radio, it will never sound any better do to XM's compression. However, I have found with the iPod/AUX input, you can get decent sound out of it by never going above 28 in volume and adjusting your levels (bass at 10, treble at 2, balance at neutral, and a -1 Fade towards the rear). Also, make sure that your AVC (auto volume control) is set to off. This reads uses the speed input from the car's speed sensor to raise or lower the volume base on how fast you are going. I do not listen to AM/FM radio or use my CD player so you are on you own there.

Invest in a USB stick--these cars do quite well with them and they are much more reliable than iPods or CDs.

Hope that helps. Even with these small problems, you bought a great car.

BTW if you have issues with the bluetooth, commiserate with many on these forums. WORST implementation I have EVER experienced in a car and Hyundai should be ashamed of it!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
XM sounds terrible in my car, but FM and mp3 sound okay (don't use FM much though due to commercials). CD's probably sound the best.

As for the ride, I don't find it any bumpier than the '12 Camry I rented last year.

·
Registered
80 Posts

You must have some really crappy roads. My GLS that I just bought on Wednesday is so smooth!!

Yes, the stereo is a bit weak but my XM is good. I am happy with it overall!!

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I have the high end radio on my 2012 SE Turbo and I can say the XM radio sound is not good at all. AS far as the FM, I have listenend to it a couple of times and I believe it sounds better than the XM.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Why no test drive where you would have noticed these concerns before you bought the car???
Ditto.

Its a base model Hyundai. You're not going to find a sedan this size or feature rich for < $25k. Learn to like it.

·
Registered
105 Posts

1. I'm having trouble believing the rough ride. When I tested the limited, which should have the same suspension, it was pretty smooth. My SE however is incredibly rough. The 18" wheels certainly do not help...

2. Go to the audio settings and turn up the treble to max. My focus sounded muddy along with the Sonata and cranking the treble makes it sound good for me.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I would change the speaker on all four doors. It would probably sound better and it is not hard to do.

·
Registered
343 Posts
My 2011 GLS felt a lot rougher with the stock Kumho tires. I've got Michelins on it now and it is night and day the difference. On roads with some chatter it can feel choppy (sometimes) but it is certainly better than the 97 Camry I had before (float city, that one!)

Stock radio is stock radio. I'm not sure when everyone became an audiophile, but I remember being excited when my 87 Ford Pony had an FM radio in it...we've come so far I suppose. However, I agree that thumb drive and CD sound great, FM and XM are o.k. Plenty of folks have tuned up their audio in this forum, you shouldn't have a hard time finding some good advice

·
Registered
608 Posts
My GLS was smooth like butter...even after I put on 18's but once I dropped it with H&R springs I do feel all bumps...and even the small bumps hit hard if i dont slow down enough.

No real complaints on my end about the GLS...

Only thing I really dont like is:
1- Stereo is POS
2- Dash scratches easily
3- My Iphone voice commands are to call some one is very sporadic if it works or not

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks all for the advice-
in response- yes I did test drive the car a couple of times--- but i notice the bumps more now that's it's MY car!

xm radio audio still sucks (as does am radio)-- but i fiddled with the settings a bit and that helped. also- I LOVE the usb stick drive- does a great job of cataloging the music files and the sound is better.

i also think the bluetooth for my phone is a life saver- being able to vocalize commands and use the steering wheel controls is going to keep me out of accidents and getting pulled over by the policia.

also i like the cool blue dash lighting and digital readouts a lot.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I did a full stereo upgrade in my gls and it is definitely worth it

·
Registered
357 Posts
i have a GLS and at first it felt like a giant pillow ...coming from two lowered Tiburons
know that i'm used to it and with 19 inch wheels it a little bumpy but not bad with the stock 16" wheels

1 - 15 of 15 Posts