Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts/info about the new Smartstream 1.6L engine in the 2020 Accent (and presumably also in the 2020 Rio). There's very little info out there about this engine line, and the combination of an updated engine and the new Hyundai/Kia IVT transmission is a little concerning. On the one hand, if this combo ends up being reliable, it could be terrific, especially with the boost in fuel economy. But on the other hand, it'll probably be years before any potential widespread problems start cropping up.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I was waiting to see if anyone would have feedback on this since I'm not that familiar with the new drivetrain, just aware of it from YouTubers covering the upcoming 2020 Accent refresh, but I too am curious to see how it will pan out. I'm one of those old-school "I hate CVTs!" people, but at the same time I can appreciate when they're done right (aka, when they hold up reliably with proper maintenance).

I drive for Lyft in a metropolitan area, and I opted for an auto 2019 Accent. The only thing I wish were different with it is the transmission's shift logic and harshness. It isn't harsh by any standards when held to cars a decade or two older than it, but it is one of the harsher shifting transmissions of its class of vehicles that are currently being produced. As a result, I kind of wish I had a smooth-operating CVT (or in Hyundai's case, an "IVT"), not to mention the slight boost in fuel economy that it would provide (I consistently get high 20s when stuck in town, which isn't the best out there).

All that said, I'm also curious to see how the new engine will hold up. I haven't dug into any of the currently available details; do we know if this is just an updated variant of the current engine, or a new design?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't dug into any of the currently available details; do we know if this is just an updated variant of the current engine, or a new design?
This is my main question, and it's been frustratingly difficult to find enough information to answer it. If it's just an evolution of the previous engine, then it's less worrisome. If it's an all-new design that hasn't been tested much in the real world, that would be an entirely different thing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
There are a few T.S.B.s' concerning the '18 ACCENT shifting . This may carry over to the '19 . Go here for details , https://www.carcomplaints.com/Hyundai/Accent/2018/tsbs/ . It's under Powertrain and Powertrain : Automatic Transmission . We recently had 5th gear stall in acceleration when downshifting to go up a steep hill . Went down to 4th and it was fine and then to 6th to overdrive with no issue . Getting a bit wary of this car due to poor heat , delayed rise of temperture gauge and drop of gauge in temps below 28 degrees . The tranny incident is a bonus . No hurry to get into a '20 Accent . The gas mileage is making it difficult to ditch . The new '20 has better smog rating thanks to no D.I. , https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28472053/2020-hyundai-accent-photos-info/ .

·
Super Moderator
3,753 Posts
I have either the 2019 or 2020 Accent SEL on my list. I'm trying to decide if I want to jump on a left-over 2019 now while there are still a few left on the lots and have decent incentives or if I want to roll the dice on the 2020.

I am interested in seeing how the new engine works out with the new fuel injection setup.

Not a fan of CVT's. I do however appreciate how the Hyundai design differs from what other manufacturers use for theirs (chain belt vs push belt.) So far I have seen some favorable reviews about it in the Forte.

Tough decision. One one hand the fuel economy improvements on the 2020 are substantial. But on the other, I have a pretty good idea what I'm getting with the 2019 mechanically.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm really confused.

So, they're going from a direct injected engine, to a typical port injected engine with an EGR valve...........
So we just stepped back 20 years and lost 10 horsepower?

I assume they need the EGR because they're losing the cooling effect from direction injection?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts