Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm less than impressed with the tires available in the 195/50-16 OEM size for my SE and I'm looking at replacing them with 205/50-16s. I'm seriously considering the Pirelli P7 A/S Plus as they seem to be favorably reviewed and I'm basically looking at a 60%/40% comfort to handling criteria. It seems like the P7s would both ride better and handle better than the stock Kumho KH25 ( yeah, not too hard I know ) while biased on the comfort side.

The other tire I'm looking at is the new Kumho Ecsta PA31 which has gotten some good press including Tire Rack. Seems like it has better than average comfort for an HP tire along with much better wet performance than most. I've had good luck with non-OEM Kumho tires in the past. Does anyone have experience with either of these tires or might wanna offer a better option? FYI - I don't really care for the Continental DWS based on previous experience and the number of road hazard incidents ( punctures ) I've read about with these tires. The KH25s seem bad enough for punctures.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have the DWS and had one puncture on a pothole. Replaced by Conti for free since they give you one year free replacement. I like Hankook Tires, for the money and performance.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the DWS and had one puncture on a pothole. Replaced by Conti for free since they give you one year free replacement. I like Hankook Tires, for the money and performance.
Yeah, I may have to revisit the DWS as I don't see very much out there in the 195 or 205 that satisfies what I'm looking for...the DWS doesn't really either but it might be the closest to getting a comfortable, halfway sporty tire that'll fit. The Pirelli P7 A/S Plus ( what I'd prefer ) is evidently back ordered everywhere with no ETA date...scratch that. I wouldn't mind buying Hankook if it was something other than the one or two Optimos that fit. It's kind of sad when I'm seriously looking at some Eco tires ( Bridgestone EP422 and Kumho Ecowing ) because they're some of the few options. Kumho has a new better handling version of the current Ecowing KH30 but they don't sell it in the U.S. Yeah, seems like everywhere I turn....

·
Registered
907 Posts
I think any 205/50-16 is an improvement over the OEM. It certainly broadens your options on what tires to get at different price levels.

I have Cooper CS4 tires (205/50-16) on mine and it was a night and day difference in terms of handling and performance. Mine came with a 60,000 mile tread warranty.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I guess there's a comfort knowing that anything other than the OEM KH25s will be an improvement. I used to think that the 205s would give me more options ( and it does in numbers ) but ultimately not really in what I'm looking for...I may just end up with the Conti DWS in the OEM size unless I can find something light, comfortable, and have at least decent handling ability. It's a pisser that this 195/50-16 size is just that...an OEM size. My Mazda came with 205/50-17s and I had the run on over forty different tires...yeah, whine...whine.....whatever.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I went with 195/55x16 yokohama avids. handle great, ride great, and v-rated tires. especially good in bad weather. a great improvement over the stock tires, which were garbage that worn out in only 17,000 miles.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've used Avids on other cars and they're definitely good tires but not really what I'm looking for this time. Well, since the P7s are backordered with no ETA, it looks like it's down to two tires:

1) Continental DWS in the OEM size or
2) Hankook Ventus V2 Concept in 205/50-16. This tire is supposed to be very similar to the DWS at a cheaper price. It's soft riding with fairly good handling for what it is. The Hankooks are $80 cheaper for a set of four and this model seems to be a known "bang for the buck" tire. Lots of positivity online.

Anyone use these Hankooks? Not sure about the DWS on the Accent because I know they can be noisy from experience with a friends car. Ain't too much deadening between the road and my ears with the Accent. The Hankooks are supposed to be very quiet even with the funky 3D cross sipe tread which is another reason I'm considering them.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, the SE can handle 205/50-16s pretty easily on the OEM rims. The biggest difference is in the sidewall height and the width but it doesn't change the diameter/circumference very much - under 2% for both. I saw that Ventus HRII but I think that's an older tire and doesn't have the buzz of the Ventus V2 Concept. I hear you on the 205s being cheaper. I think the DWS is about $40 bucks cheaper in the larger size for a set of four depending on where you look. They aren't cheaper on Tire Rack for the bigger size but they are on other online vendors. I definitely don't think as much of Tire Rack as I used to...they're a good outlet but there are other good tire outlets out there where price and freight is cheaper ( or free ) without the premium TR seems to attach.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've used Avids on other cars and they're definitely good tires but not really what I'm looking for this time. Well, since the P7s are backordered with no ETA, it looks like it's down to two tires:

1) Continental DWS in the OEM size or
2) Hankook Ventus V2 Concept in 205/50-16. This tire is supposed to be very similar to the DWS at a cheaper price. It's soft riding with fairly good handling for what it is. The Hankooks are $80 cheaper for a set of four and this model seems to be a known "bang for the buck" tire. Lots of positivity online.

Anyone use these Hankooks? Not sure about the DWS on the Accent because I know they can be noisy from experience with a friends car. Ain't too much deadening between the road and my ears with the Accent. The Hankooks are supposed to be very quiet even with the funky 3D cross sipe tread which is another reason I'm considering them.
I looked at the hankooks, but those are 40k tires whereas the avids are 60k tires. also, I preferred the avids since we get snow here and the 55 series tire gives a better ride . but, you may not have the same weather where you are. :D

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'll keep an eye on this thread as my original Kumhos look like they won't get to 40,000 km ( 25,000 miles ) even tho I rotate them every 7,500 kms - my car came with a full sized spare. I'm up to 35,000 kms now and will do another 5,000 km by Xmas

With fairly low speed limits, a heavy police presence and speed cameras on the highways I travel most my driving isn't what you'd call exuberant so the handling has been OK. Comfort I don't care about as any car is a lot more comfortable than my motorcycles, and the Accent has such poor noise deadening even wind noise is noticable so I wear ear plugs on longish journeys.

Soon I'll have a look around and see what's available and probably be guided by the comments of you guys, but if the price difference for fancier tyres is too high I will just get another set of Kumhos

I'm a bit suspicious of tyres which claim to go vast distances - makes me think they might not have much grip or be poor in wet conditions

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think that it's really a crap shoot in terms of tread wear ratings for different tires. Everything from the vehicle, driving habits, weather, road surfaces, etc. can factor in more than a tread wear rating of 500 vs. 700 for example. I had some 40K mile Bridgestones that I got almost 70K miles from...there are good and bad tires in every manufacturers stable. I've used Kumhos in the past and some have been very good while others have worn pretty quickly independent of the tread wear rating. I was interested in the new Ecsta PA 31 for this go round on tires and you might want to take a look at that if it's available in Oz. Very highly reviewed on Tire Rack and seems to be grippy and a very good wet weather tire for relatively cheap while not riding like a brick.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I think any 205/50-16 is an improvement over the OEM. It certainly broadens your options on what tires to get at different price levels.

I have Cooper CS4 tires (205/50-16) on mine and it was a night and day difference in terms of handling and performance. Mine came with a 60,000 mile tread warranty.
I agree completely, same as on my 2011 Sportage EX AWD, Cooper CS-4 touring for the win!

Yoko Avid tires are great, but noted not to be that good in winter, check the reviews.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts