Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what is happening with Hyundai? First they ruined the Sonata. Now we are getting a cheap, GM looking SF. Is Hyundai cheapening their line to push people to Genesis?

Today i looked at a 2019 SF and did not like it. Very cheap looking. What are their plans for 3 row SUV's? I'll either keep my 14 or change brands.

Ray

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
New models float some peoples boats and sink others.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am going to test drive one this week. I took a quick look at some stickers prices looked like it was approximately $32k for a base. The list on my 15 was $34,500,non turbo, fully loaded.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Will be interesting to see what the sales numbers do over the next 6 months, should be a 1, 2 or 3 month spike before they normalize. So much competition in the segment, I'm not so sure Hyundai's value proposition is quite as strong as some yrs back given today's pricing but they are still overall priced lower than most similar equipped competitors in the segment.

I recently saw a KIA ad where they are touting the Sorento's off road capabilities , showing it conquering an off road trail in Moab - carefully orchestrated ad, I've had my SFS on some 4wd roads - a few yrs back it got hung up in several spots and lots of traversing to get past the high spots in the road, but it's clearly not it's intended use. I did put Michelin LTX Defender tires on it because back in 2013 came back from a trip driving on a pretty moderate dirt road at a reasonable speed and one of the Conti's had a big sidewall bulge.

But I've seen people get FWD comapct sedans up some 4wd in CO where they clearly drove oh so slow and traversed the road. I'm sure Sorento's aren't likely anytime some get the trail rating like Jeeps, kind of a stupid misleading ad IMO, but wouldn't surprise me if I start seeing an occasional Sorento hung up on 4wd roads or with some missing pieces from the bottom.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I first test drove my 14, I was very impressed with the design and luxury feel of the vehicle. I was greatly surprised because I had test driven almost every SUV on the market. The SF checked all of my boxes so I drove it home that same day.

The exterior of the 19 looks very cheaply done to me, it has none of the classy looks of the 18 and back SFS. My sister bought an 18 Sonata and I feel the same way about it, cheap feeling materials, some options no longer available, ugly design. I had intended on driving the SF but I was so taken aback at the appearance that I passed. The interior is decent except for the infotainment "block" that looks totally out of place atop the dash and the outboard dash vents reminded me of ET's head. Yes that ET!

Ray

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well I understand your feelings.
I do believe that some old designs on interiors (simple) were better than todays.

I don't have a problem with the new dash. I like the screen separate only because it's perpendicular to the driver and not at an angle like in the dash.

I do like the front end also. It's different but not so much that it's ugly. Almost ever car with standard headlights looks the same to me. I hate the looks of the toyotas and all the pieces like the rear tail lights that stick out from the body.

Some vehicles are just ever designed and there are no flowing lines.

I don't however like the placement of the buttons near the shift. I can see someone easily spilling a drink on that area especially when the driver has to reach over it to put a cup in the holder.

Talk about cheap looking and feeling. Get inside a VW jetta.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Does anyone know what is happening with Hyundai? First they ruined the Sonata. Now we are getting a cheap, GM looking SF. Is Hyundai cheapening their line to push people to Genesis?

Today i looked at a 2019 SF and did not like it. Very cheap looking. What are their plans for 3 row SUV's? I'll either keep my 14 or change brands.

Ray
Got the chance to see our first 2019 Santa Fe in person this weekend - however only the smaller engine models are available so far. Turbo is preferred and will start showing up early September at dealers.

Having seen preview photos of the 2019 in January - we bought the 2018 2.0T Ultimate based on exterior and interior looks.

The 2019 grill is simply - atrocious. That silly honeycomb is nothing more than yet another one of the often-copied GMC/Ford/Lexus lattice-work grills that cheapen the look, not to mention create a nightmare to keep clean.

As for the interior - that new GPS/Entertainment display on the dash looks like a cheap add-on instead of deluxe feature. Also, after sitting in the driver's seat, really noticed that it's at a perfect angle for the rear center seat passenger but not the driver OR passenger. Part of that is because it sits far closer to the rear seat compared to the 2018/2018 version.

Of course one of the first things you notice approaching the 2019 is that they stripped away any resemblance of shape on the side - it now has the same boring / copycat side look of Honda Passports, Acura MDXs, and Mercedes SUV.

With just those 3 facets of the new design (there are plenty more undesirables), it looks like Hyundai managed to totally mess up their flagship SUV to introduce "new" at the cost of "undesirably different".

While at the dealership that had 6 (just arrived in stock - all with the base engine), we saw 8-9 people shopping SUV's, and at least 2 couples came up to me saying they "really didn't care for the new look of the 2019's".

I can see how you are disappointed. After seeing the 2019's up close and personal...disappointment sums up how many folks will likely feel. Quite the shame.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Also has a chance to check out a 2019 Santa Fe - Limited Ultimate this weekend. I'm not sure why people are finding the look both inside and outside cheap. I realize we all have individual tastes and the marketplace will eventually decide if Hyundai's changes are good or not.

The interior seems quite nice. I found the leather and detailing on the seats much nicer than my 2017 Limited Ultimate. With the addition of the heads up display, I think Hyundai made some good choices. The deletion of the fake wood trim is a welcome choice. The dash is less cluttered and I agree that the iPad like screen may take some getting used too. I've seen it in a number of other vehicles and it will be interesting to see how well they hold up.

I liked the side profile, found the look bulkier but in a good way. Not sure about the front grill. I would be curious to see how it holds up under all the rocks and stuff that get kicked up on the freeways here in Texas.

Every time a manufacturer changes the look of a vehicle, there will be those who like it or hate it. But as I said earlier the market place will eventually decide on the success of the new Santa Fe.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Base Model is about 26,500.

The Santa Fe XL is not out yet and will resemble the 2017/2018 model.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have '18 SFS Ultimate 20T......did a test drive of 2019 this week.......drove ok to me but what I did not care for:

interior dash trim has more "shine" and I really prefer the subdued trim rings that don't reflect quite as much glare

did not like the auto shut down at all.......you can turn it off each time you start up vehicle, but they should have done a BMW type switch where you can disable it permanently if you want to

Did like the driver's bottom cushion seat extender like some of the higher line brands have available

New unit looked like so many others on the market today......was neither turned off nor saying wow look at that beauty

I think that I do prefer the smaller size of my current 2018.....but probably not a big deal

The interior headliner is some type of neutral cloth material........just did look a little bit inexpensive to me?

There was only $500 incentive on the unit I drove and the guys significantly under appraised my one year old unit with 6k miles

·
Registered
9 Posts
Current ride 2015 S F S non turbo all 3 option packages listed $34,350 Test drove 2019 S F Ultimate non turbo $37,150

The ride was smooth and the road noise was much improved over my 2015. It took time for me to find the correct driving position but the leather seats were very
comfortable. The rear layout was not much different than my 2015. The overall interior, in my opinion, was much improved and had a more expensive look.

I really didn't get much of a chance to play with the navigation system but I liked the location and 8"screen. The heads up display I found distracting but I'm sure its just a matter of getting use to it.
I agree with jcarbs about the dash being less cluttered and it has a clean look.

The profile is differently larger and I like it. The grill I just not sure what to think. I was told by another individual who test drove a 2019 you won't see it while your driving.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Haha! I'm not the only one who "hates" the new design? We were at the dealer today, looking for a new Santa Fe for my wife, we test drove '18 2.0T and then '19 2.0T, well...the wife didn't even want to drive it, she sat in it, looked around, touched some buttons and got out. Long story short - We bought '18 LWB Ultimate, that's actually hers 3rd one. We had '14 LWB basic then '17 LWB Ultimate and now '18 LWB Ult.

There was nothing wrong with the '17, she just had an accident 2 weeks ago and the car was totaled by State Farm. It was head on collision and it wasn't my wife fault.

(time to update my signature, LOL! '13 5.0 Rspec - that car is long gone!)

·
Registered
276 Posts
This is another thread of your that I'm not understanding and I'm trying to get (valid) opinions.
You say you test drove the 2018 and then the 2019, then go on to say your wife didn't want to drive it, just sat there and pushed some buttons.

So did she actually drive it or just sit there?

Hate is a strong word. Would be nice to hear an in depth review why you "hate" it so much. Did she not like the buttons?

·
Registered
253 Posts
This is another thread of your that I'm not understanding and I'm trying to get (valid) opinions.
You say you test drove the 2018 and then the 2019, then go on to say your wife didn't want to drive it, just sat there and pushed some buttons.

So did she actually drive it or just sit there?

Hate is a strong word. Would be nice to hear an in depth review why you "hate" it so much. Did she not like the buttons?
She didn't want to drive it as the driver, she wasn't interested at all, so she sat in passenger seat, while I was driving it.

As for the reason why we "hate" the new design? ...hmm, we just don't like it while comparing it to our "old" car, which we think it looks better overall and if she don't like it, that's the end of story.

Please don't try to make me explain how to understand Woman. >:D

·
Registered
276 Posts
I also responded to your other thread.

Fair enough on not liking the new design. Sometimes it's hard to get used to something when you like what you had.
Some changes are not necessarily good I guess.

I however am going from a 10 year old Kia Sorento. I would probably pick the santa fe over the 2019 sorento. I'm just ready for something that won't look outdated in 5-10 years.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I understand that.

From personal experience, I can tell you that the 2nd. generation is very reliable, we never had any problems with any of them since 2014, our cars have never seen dealers shop for any repairs, except for the oil change, that is it.

5 years ago, I had '13 Santa Fe 2.0T AWD, I bought it for myself, because I liked the new design. It was the reason, my wife wanted to get one for herself, lol it was in 2014 - new LWB just came out, so we traded in hers 2010 Santa Fe for the new '14 LWB and I traded in my '13 for '13 Genesis 5.0 Rspec at the same time, same dealer, I wanted to get something lil more faster, though :grin2:

1 - 20 of 106 Posts