Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well got my new rims on from the dealer, now the car vibrates, it's not butter smooth any more :whistling:

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (hyunnychub @ Jun 17 2010, 03:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333849
well got my new rims on from the dealer, now the car vibrates, it's not butter smooth any more :whistling:

simple fix...bad balancing....bring it back and demand a Hunter roadforce balancing....that will smooth you right out!

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (ssmuff @ Jun 17 2010, 04:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=333866
Make sure they put the weights on the inside!

weights on the outside provide a much better and smoother and higher speed balance but if the wheel is a full face, then inside weights are the only way to go

·
Registered
678 Posts
Ask for a "True Balance" tell them you want stick on weights. they are slightly more expensive but well worth it. If they don't know what it is, take it somewhere who actually knows how to balance alloy wheels.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
You want a 2 Plane balance applicable for style wheels you is using..

Hunter 9700 is about the best machine for any style wheel / weight plane placement.

Never settle for "STATIC" // single plane balance, aint woth the time or effort, you want a "DYNAMIC" balance.

Road Force is for shakes beyond the realm of balance due to tire tread slap down the road.

·
Registered
486 Posts
After market wheels are famous for NOT being smooth, No matter what. Make sure after re-balance that the correct centering hub rings are installed. If necessary have the balance/Vib checked with the wheels on the car.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (snapper41 @ Jun 18 2010, 03:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334006
After market wheels are famous for NOT being smooth, No matter what. Make sure after re-balance that the correct centering hub rings are installed. If necessary have the balance/Vib checked with the wheels on the car.

+1.....the only aftermarket wheels I find that balance out smooth are high end wheels like HRE or iForged, BBS, Volk, Ray's Engineering, etc...basically $400+ a piece wheels

that and of course all OEM.....but wheels made by companies like Enkei, Konig, Ace, etc... are all garbage built with NO DOT standards....

·
Registered
74 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jun 18 2010, 07:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334030
+1.....the only aftermarket wheels I find that balance out smooth are high end wheels like HRE or iForged, BBS, Volk, Ray's Engineering, etc...basically $400+ a piece wheels

that and of course all OEM.....but wheels made by companies like Enkei, Konig, Ace, etc... are all garbage built with NO DOT standards....
The internet amazes me. Do you really think the wheels are garbage? Go look and see what wheels are on most performance vehicles sold in the US. You will see Enkei, BBS etc on the back of the wheel. Do you really think that OEM means superior quality? Have you ever raced a car on a track? How did that work out with your OEM DOT approved rims? Kinda heavy aren't they? Most classes won't let you on the track with them. Strength and safety issues you know. If a wheel sold in this country does not meet DOT "standards" then it must be labeled when sold as "for Off Road Use Only, Not DOT Approved". Did you know that Prime and Ultra Wheel(now located in China) produce nearly all the OEM rims for the Big 3 in the USA? Did you know that Enkei makes Honda wheels? Even the little ugly ones that no one wants? I can assure you they aren't junk.
You know how the saying goes about assholes and opinions.....quit spouting your misinformed facts/opinions. They aren't garbage.

As surprising as this might be, there are no regulatory or mandatory structural testing standards or procedures that any passenger car or light truck wheel must meet at this time.

The “DOT Approved” (Department of Transportation) you may see on the back of a wheel basically means the wheel conforms to certain specifications regarding the bead seat profile, barrel and drop configuration so a tire will fit securely. This standard was developed by the Tire and Rim Association and adopted by DOT many years ago.

In 2003 the Society of Automotive Engineers “SAE” proposed and developed the Aftermarket Passenger Car and Light Truck Performance Requirements and Test Procedures “SAE J2530” to address this issue. SAE J2530 is the equivalent to the German “TUV” or Japanese “VIA/JWL” standards. At this time DOT is reviewing this standard for possible for possible regulatory adoption.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Not Saying anything about the Manufactures, BUT, I have tried to re-balance enough wheels that had just been purchased and the selling store just told the buyer, " Thanks for the purchase, but your an owner now, and thats the best we can do for you), Even after re balancing to the highest levels possible , most wheels only mount the the hubs viva lug bolt holes and have way too much sloppy clearance to run TRUE, compared to the wheels that are made to mount and are centered to the hub by the axle machined surface, thus running true with no or very little out of round run-out, ......Ta-Da, your car now has a smooth ride.

I hate and get tired having to tell my customers you were sold junk and I can not re-manufacture your new wheels to run smooth. Most of the time you get what you pay for and re-pay to try to make it work. ( can't say right because it should have been that way in the first place). Anyone ..even China can make a sticker and slap on. Show me the performance , NOT just a high Master Card receipt. They may not net you the same thing.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (bmidd @ Jun 18 2010, 12:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334126
The internet amazes me. Do you really think the wheels are garbage? Go look and see what wheels are on most performance vehicles sold in the US. You will see Enkei, BBS etc on the back of the wheel. Do you really think that OEM means superior quality? Have you ever raced a car on a track? How did that work out with your OEM DOT approved rims? Kinda heavy aren't they? Most classes won't let you on the track with them. Strength and safety issues you know. If a wheel sold in this country does not meet DOT "standards" then it must be labeled when sold as "for Off Road Use Only, Not DOT Approved". Did you know that Prime and Ultra Wheel(now located in China) produce nearly all the OEM rims for the Big 3 in the USA? Did you know that Enkei makes Honda wheels? Even the little ugly ones that no one wants? I can assure you they aren't junk.
You know how the saying goes about assholes and opinions.....quit spouting your misinformed facts/opinions. They aren't garbage.

As surprising as this might be, there are no regulatory or mandatory structural testing standards or procedures that any passenger car or light truck wheel must meet at this time.

The “DOT Approved” (Department of Transportation) you may see on the back of a wheel basically means the wheel conforms to certain specifications regarding the bead seat profile, barrel and drop configuration so a tire will fit securely. This standard was developed by the Tire and Rim Association and adopted by DOT many years ago.

In 2003 the Society of Automotive Engineers “SAE” proposed and developed the Aftermarket Passenger Car and Light Truck Performance Requirements and Test Procedures “SAE J2530” to address this issue. SAE J2530 is the equivalent to the German “TUV” or Japanese “VIA/JWL” standards. At this time DOT is reviewing this standard for possible for possible regulatory adoption.

no...never raced a car in my life... LMAO are u fcuking kidding me? another person who needs to remove the sand from their vag......I only owned a 2003 Nissan Maxima that I ran 17" FORGED BBS rims that cost me $500 each from tirerack. The car was slammed on JIC Magic coilovers set to the stiffest setting...those coilovers are racing coilvers (do your homework http://www.jic-magic.com/) and I only auto-x'd the car every weekend...

I should also state that my 07 Legacy had 18" SSRs which are also forged and also cost me about $450 a piece from tirerack. That car had Cobb Tuning springs and was auto-x'd as well)

DOT approved may not mean **** to you in TN where the roads are probably nice and smooth but try taking a Koenig wheel (which isn't DOT approved and NOT made to any set standard besides what the philipinos make up depending upon the time of day) down a pothole filled NYC street...it ain't lasting.....

but no, I don't spend good money on quality parts on my cars.... and no I don't auto-x or drive my car hard or anything.....

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All is well, turned out the balancing machine was a tad wonkey..
Smooth like glass now , these are hyundai rims for the Sonata so no hub ring needed .. Bought a nice Konig set for our old 2007 Accent and had the hub rings etc. I really wanted Konigs for this car $$$$$.
All I know is I wanted the f'in steelies off and use for winter .
thanks for the replys guys :)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was installing my mud flaps yesterday, I noticed they used stick on weights for balancing :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts