Hyundai Forums banner

841 - 860 of 865 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
I think a few of you have said that you outright turned around and traded yours in due to the entire experience.

Has anyone seen a major decrease in trade-in/resale value due to engine replacement either with the Hyundai dealership or another dealership (or selling it privately)?

I know personally what my next vehicle will be and it ain't a Hyundai (for a variety of reasons) so I'm wondering if I'm better off pulling the trigger sooner rather than later in terms of trade-in value, just in case. '14 SFS drives and runs great at 55k as does my '13 Sonata at 79+change. Both have the doom and gloom 2.4l and neither has (or will) get the 953 update as in my mind, it makes no difference.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,232 Posts
I think a few of you have said that you outright turned around and traded yours in due to the entire experience.

Has anyone seen a major decrease in trade-in/resale value due to engine replacement either with the Hyundai dealership or another dealership (or selling it privately)?

I know personally what my next vehicle will be and it ain't a Hyundai (for a variety of reasons) so I'm wondering if I'm better off pulling the trigger sooner rather than later in terms of trade-in value, just in case. '14 SFS drives and runs great at 55k as does my '13 Sonata at 79+change. Both have the doom and gloom 2.4l and neither has (or will) get the 953 update as in my mind, it makes no difference.
No hit on trade but no bump for a new motor

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
absurd post bringing Toyota into the mix, something that happened almost 20 yrs back and affected less than 2%, most say about 1% of their engines, Hyundai's Theta II engine problem is orders of magnitude larger than Toyota's ever was.
Not absurd at all. I am pointing out that times have changed with the way manufacturers, in this case Hyundai, have stepped up their game. Toyota denied the sludging problem for years, leaving their customers to foot the bill to the tune of thousands per incident. Same with Honda and the total a/c system failures costing over 1K to repair, also fully paid for by the customer.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Good morning, well, 6 weeks later and finally got my Santa Fe back today, yipee! I see it was replaced with a reman. long block. So far so good but have only driven a couple miles. I have a question, not sure if anyone else was offered this.....I sent a complaint to Hyundai USA because the car I got as a loaner was far "below" what I was used to driving and had to drive on some pretty rough roads in snow which I used to having AWD to accomplish. I made it (got stuck a few times, sigh) but wasn't happy that I couldn't get something comparable to what I usually drive. Hyundai surprised me and came back that they would offer me two car payments to compensate which I thought was great. Of course, the "offer letter" says that if I accept I also release them from liability. I don't want to sign my life away should there be an issue.....anyone else been offered this? Did you do it? Any problems with your vehicle once you got the engine replacement? Their words exactly - "you release HMA from any liability with respect to any clam that HMA failed to conform the vehicle to warranty in connection with your concerns and the vehicle's repair history to date. You also acknowledge that any such concerns have been resolved as of the date of signing this letter" . They also say they will honor any remaining warranty, blah blah blah. I just want to be sure I'm not taking a reimbursement and then not receiving help if needed. It's a nice offer that I'd like to take. Wonder if I should wait a week or so to make sure the vehicle is ok? Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Good for you for complaining and if I was in your situation I'd take the money.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Good for you for complaining and if I was in your situation I'd take the money.
Yeah, I'm leaning that way....the person I've been corresponding with said it would only affect any further compensation for this - I assume that means if THIS engine blows (highly unlikely I would guess) and I complained again they wouldn't offer anything. I have one more question in to her - want to be sure that means I could still get a loaner or rental should something happen again.

·
Registered
209 Posts
We had our new 2.0 engine almost a year and put 20K miles on it. It's been running great so we plan to hang on to it for a while!
Nice to hear! I was going to trade this year, think now I will hang on to mine for another year or two - even though the odometer says 51000 it's really ZERO! :) The loaner I had was a couple years newer and a "loaded" one but didn't have everything mine does so why bother! I think I'll take the compensation they are offering, before it's gone!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
So I'm about 15k in on my reman 2.4l (based on 3 5k mile oil changes) and I swear I hear a faint knock at startup :(

Been running 5w30 and it's been cold up here so maybe I'm losing my doggy mind.

But we are nearing 150k so it's going to have to blow up and them I'm moving on to another vehicle

·
Registered
283 Posts
We had our motor replaced last winter with a new long block e en though we were out of warranty. So far the new motor is holding up. It was a nightmare dealing with Hyundai Canada regarding this recall. I had to source all my service and recall records myself and have all the dealers I've had service at email too me. I had several tickets opened with Hyundai Head Office and had to get Managers involved. They ran the Recall diagnostic 3 times. The first time it passed and then the motor started to bang after a few weeks and then they ran it two more additional tests to confirm the motor was busted. The motor was instock and had to come from the warehouse and it came with brand new spark plugs. I replaced the serpentine belt and air filter, made sure they did a synthetic oil change and ensure that all updates were completed. Haven't had an issue since other than our ball joints are moving slightly. Just make sure you obtain all records to show the dealer and head office.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Good to know you got a new motor but shame on Hyundai for making you jump thru hoops. Maybe Canuck Hyundai is more anal than US...

For ball joints > easy job to do if you have access to jack, stands, and an impact gun. Pro tip go for full control arms vs ball joints. Yes the joints are cheaper but getting them out of the arms is a pita plus new arms are pretty. You will notice the difference once it's all done and it will help your alignment a bit. Still have one done asap to ensure the job is fully done. eBay them direct from S Korea for cheapest pricing

·
Registered
182 Posts
So I'm about 15k in on my reman 2.4l (based on 3 5k mile oil changes) and I swear I hear a faint knock at startup :(

Been running 5w30 and it's been cold up here so maybe I'm losing my doggy mind.

But we are nearing 150k so it's going to have to blow up and them I'm moving on to another vehicle

Is it burning oil? I hear far more "tapping" when it's cold out vs being warmed up or when it's warm out----My car has always done this---new engine and original.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Is it burning oil? I hear far more "tapping" when it's cold out vs being warmed up or when it's warm out----My car has always done this---new engine and original.
So far no burning. And only when its left outside on colder days.

I have discovered that side mirror + mailbox + cold equals expensive part purchase. And it's the 2nd mirror for this car...previous owner must have busted the original one since the one I busted has yard pull date of 1/23/2013.

·
Registered
182 Posts
So far no burning. And only when its left outside on colder days.

I have discovered that side mirror + mailbox + cold equals expensive part purchase. And it's the 2nd mirror for this car...previous owner must have busted the original one since the one I busted has yard pull date of 1/23/2013.

Quick question, I'm hearing a knocking or tapping noise as well that has been getting louder. However, when I give it gas (while idling) it does not change the sound at all and it appears to be coming from under the dash-----Is that what you're experiencing?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Quick question, I'm hearing a knocking or tapping noise as well that has been getting louder. However, when I give it gas (while idling) it does not change the sound at all and it appears to be coming from under the dash-----Is that what you're experiencing?
Mine is only audible outside.

Under dash could be a lot of stuff. Try turning off climate control and seeing if that changes it.

Also it's cold weather time you may have a rodent nest somewhere underhood and its tenant is being agitated by the engine heat. Had it on another car and luckily caught the lil turd before my wiring got eaten

·
Registered
2017 SFS 2.0 T Ultimate
754 Posts
If it's under the dash, whereabouts is it located at?
The 2013-2017 (maybe even 2018) has an annoying issue with either the center speaker coming lose, so it rattles around (usually only in cold weather, and the colder it gets, the louder the noise)
or
the dash itself gets loose and the only "fix" I've seen is that you have to wedge some foam under the front part of the dash, where it meets the windshield (at least that's where it looked like in the pictures) which is usually only going to happen if you can have the windshield removed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If it's under the dash, whereabouts is it located at?
The 2013-2017 (maybe even 2018) has an annoying issue with either the center speaker coming lose, so it rattles around (usually only in cold weather, and the colder it gets, the louder the noise)
or
the dash itself gets loose and the only "fix" I've seen is that you have to wedge some foam under the front part of the dash, where it meets the windshield (at least that's where it looked like in the pictures) which is usually only going to happen if you can have the windshield removed.
Last night I checked the oil, I used Castrol premium full synthetic and the levels were good and it's nice and clean. I kept the hood opened and it purred like a kitten, I shifted gears with my door opened and it was nice and quiet. I closed the door and hood and I could hear the noise----You might be onto to something. When I have more time I check it a bit closer......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Add me to the list. I have a 2015, 67,600 miles, and I went in to dealer yesterday to have the front passenger door aligned. I mentioned that at times the engine seemed to be making a strange sound and the pick up was lacking. He said they would take it for a test ride and see if anything showed up. He returned in about 20 minutes and said the engine need to be replaced. He had to run 2 more tests and send the info to corporate, and he would know within 3 days, when they would receive the new engine. The loaner they gave me was 2020 Santa Fe fully loaded just like my 2015. I hope this all works out and I'll keep everyone advised

841 - 860 of 865 Posts