Hyundai Forums banner

821 - 840 of 865 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had my update performed during the last oil change but was not informed about any increase in warranty coverage to 200,000 km and I am also in Canada. Would you be kind enough to post/share the letter showing the additional warranty details?

I'm in the US, but check out the paragraph below the video in this link:
https://www.hyundaiengineinfo.ca/

"Additionally, for engine repairs needed due to connecting rod bearing damage, Hyundai has increased the warranty to 10 years and 200,000 km, whichever occurs first (up from 5 years and 100,000 km) for original and subsequent owners of model years 2011‑18 Sonata, 2013‑18 Santa Fe Sport and 2014‑2015 Tucson 2.4 vehicles."

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Todays adventure... drive home a "LF" Sonata for noise

So I am driving home, on the interstate, and make exit,, rough 5 mile from house...

Sitting at light,, I happen to look down and see MIL flashing,, great... make turn, and it limp,, short shift, no giddy up..

Have tablet with me, so I scan, 132600 knock performance/range,, yep.. 36 mile drive in morning and it limp.. yee haaa

So I go ahead and hobble it to the Sportsman Club lot,, do scan, and wire test while there..

I clear code, only to have it come back flashing right quick... Hmmmm,,, wild idea, should make sense..............................

UNPLUG the knock sensor at the connector there at front of intake manifold runner,, idea being that if PCM cant monitor rods,, then we cant put car in limp....

I unplug,, start engine, flip throttle,, so far,,, so good......

I drove car home like nobody business

In the morning, 36 mile drive back to work, and plan to interstate it,, same as my typical daily drive

Want your car back,, clear code and unplug knock sensor,, PCM cant see knock for ignition time, as long as air cool and moist,, not much for me to worry about (my opinion),, and it sure cant see rod knock values to put you in LIMP,, though likely end up with MIL for knock sensor open circuit code...

Reactions: Packard8

·
Registered
407 Posts
Todays adventure... drive home a "LF" Sonata for noise

So I am driving home, on the interstate, and make exit,, rough 5 mile from house...

Sitting at light,, I happen to look down and see MIL flashing,, great... make turn, and it limp,, short shift, no giddy up..

Have tablet with me, so I scan, 132600 knock performance/range,, yep.. 36 mile drive in morning and it limp.. yee haaa

So I go ahead and hobble it to the Sportsman Club lot,, do scan, and wire test while there..

I clear code, only to have it come back flashing right quick... Hmmmm,,, wild idea, should make sense..............................

UNPLUG the knock sensor at the connector there at front of intake manifold runner,, idea being that if PCM cant monitor rods,, then we cant put car in limp....

I unplug,, start engine, flip throttle,, so far,,, so good......

I drove car home like nobody business

In the morning, 36 mile drive back to work, and plan to interstate it,, same as my typical daily drive

Want your car back,, clear code and unplug knock sensor,, PCM cant see knock for ignition time, as long as air cool and moist,, not much for me to worry about (my opinion),, and it sure cant see rod knock values to put you in LIMP,, though likely end up with MIL for knock sensor open circuit code...
Yee Ha, have a safe drive home. I'm 5000K miles since the 935 update. All"s is good so far.....One of the lucky ones I guess

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had my update performed during the last oil change but was not informed about any increase in warranty coverage to 200,000 km and I am also in Canada. Would you be kind enough to post/share the letter showing the additional warranty details?

I received one in the mail that they are extending the warranty for 10 years or 200,000 which ever comes first

·
Registered
229 Posts
there is no need for maintenence records - this has been discussed many times, under the T & Cs of the recall Hyundai replaces the engine. They are legally obligated to do so and will do so.
Just to be clear...Are you saying that I don't have to come up with the records of all of my oil changes should my engine explode? I foolishly did not think I'd have to have record of oil changes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well add one more to the list. 16' 2.0T.
66249KM.
Just cruising along on the highway like nobody's business then it derated it's self + engine light flashing and a noticeable rod knock. Honestly was in disbelief and pissed off for a bit
Was about 20km from the dealership.
Stopped in, they listened to it for 2 seconds then went in an did up a work order for a new long block.
Also was on the phone right away to get to get me a rental as we were 100km from home.
So far not so bad really, considering.

Gave us a 17 accent. A bit tight with wife and 2 kids, luggage and 400 bux of crap from a costco stop 30mins before this, but I stuffed it all in the hatch lol

They said about a week. But I would think 2 or so.
No money outa my pocket so far.
https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5d261af5ae81b/received_384701929067994.mp4

·
Registered
115 Posts
Was called on July 20th to come pick it up with a new long block stuffed in. So far so good. So 2 weeks, not too bad really.
Knock on wood.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well, add me to the list. :( 2015 Santa Fe 2.0 with 51,850 miles. Went into limp mode on the way home last night with check engine light on....limped it in to the dealership this morning (that was a joy, live in a hilly area) and it was knocking away....manager said right out "needs new engine". Luckily they had a loaner, 2017 Elantra...ugh, feel like I'm driving a flinstones car but thankful they had something. He said it could take anywhere from 2-12 weeks. WHAT? Without going back thru the 42 pages, if anyone is still following this what has been the average wait for an engine? Is it faster now than it was back when all this first started? I'm concerned with winter weather, where I live I use my all wheel drive often, I mentioned it to the manager and he said they don't have any right now but are switching in some...should I keep whining and pushing for one if it ends up that it's going to be more than a couple weeks? I don't want to rub them the wrong way. While I'm kinda happy to be starting out with a new engine shortly, I already miss my Fe. :( It's loaded...the elantra is not. You would think Hyundai would attempt to put you in a vehicle that closely matches what you have already.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well, add me to the list. :( 2015 Santa Fe 2.0 with 51,850 miles. Went into limp mode on the way home last night with check engine light on....limped it in to the dealership this morning (that was a joy, live in a hilly area) and it was knocking away....manager said right out "needs new engine". Luckily they had a loaner, 2017 Elantra...ugh, feel like I'm driving a flinstones car but thankful they had something. He said it could take anywhere from 2-12 weeks. WHAT? Without going back thru the 42 pages, if anyone is still following this what has been the average wait for an engine? Is it faster now than it was back when all this first started? I'm concerned with winter weather, where I live I use my all wheel drive often, I mentioned it to the manager and he said they don't have any right now but are switching in some...should I keep whining and pushing for one if it ends up that it's going to be more than a couple weeks? I don't want to rub them the wrong way. While I'm kinda happy to be starting out with a new engine shortly, I already miss my Fe. :( It's loaded...the elantra is not. You would think Hyundai would attempt to put you in a vehicle that closely matches what you have already.
Word of caution----Make sure you check everything before driving away---Air conditioning, leaks, AWD, etc. I can't prove it, but after my engine was replaced the AWD didn't work (Transfer case was bad) and the catalytic converter was bad too. You're still under warranty, but go through with a fine toothed comb. We have a 2014 2.4L and the engine failed at 117,000 miles----Took around 4 to 5 weeks total. I do have to admit, they handled everything great and no money out of pocket.....

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,253 Posts
...While I'm kinda happy to be starting out with a new engine shortly, I already miss my Fe. :( It's loaded...the elantra is not. You would think Hyundai would attempt to put you in a vehicle that closely matches what you have already.
They did that to me as well. Get your dealership involved to get a bigger rental. I have a lil guy and the failure happened last winter so an Elantra wouldn't cut it. Started raising stink and got a Tucson with awd

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks to both of you for the advice. Unfortunately I've already driven away so can't check anything. Going back this afternoon to have the loaner detailed - you wouldn't believe it if you saw it. I had to sign a form that said no pets in the vehicle, then he opens the door and the interior is literally covered in dirt - the floors look like they had a mud wrestling competition. I looked at him and said "are you serious"? I understand this was all last minute and I appreciate that they even had something for me but wowza....so he said bring it back for a detail. I plan on asking him to consider putting me in something with AWD IF he thinks this is going to be more than 3 weeks. I'll mention to him that I would consider a rental if they could work on that - maybe they would prefer that anyway, would free up their loaner. So far he's been very understanding and I want to stay on his good side, I'm fairly picky and don't want the engine slapped in there just to shut me up. ;)

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Generally dealers get a bad rap on everything, but take into consideration that (I'm speculating here) yours is not the only blown engine they are dealing with and the business has to limit how many vehicles they pull out of inventory to put into loaner service. I go back a ways and remember when engines were warrantied for 3K miles and if you asked even for help on the cost of a rental you were looked at like you had a third eye. Is this a hassle? Yes, of course. But the actions of Hyundai (and the GOOD dealers) far surpass what Toyota owners went through with failed engines due to sludging, Honda's with the 'black death' a/c systems, or any number of GM, Ford, Chrysler issues over the years.

The response of my dealer will be interesting if any of my fleet should suffer an engine failure as they know all three have been maintained well beyond what is specified. '14 EGT 2.0, '15 Sonata Sport 2.4, '16 Elantra 1.8.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Generally dealers get a bad rap on everything, but take into consideration that (I'm speculating here) yours is not the only blown engine they are dealing with and the business has to limit how many vehicles they pull out of inventory to put into loaner service. I go back a ways and remember when engines were warrantied for 3K miles and if you asked even for help on the cost of a rental you were looked at like you had a third eye. Is this a hassle? Yes, of course. But the actions of Hyundai (and the GOOD dealers) far surpass what Toyota owners went through with failed engines due to sludging, Honda's with the 'black death' a/c systems, or any number of GM, Ford, Chrysler issues over the years.

The response of my dealer will be interesting if any of my fleet should suffer an engine failure as they know all three have been maintained well beyond what is specified. '14 EGT 2.0, '15 Sonata Sport 2.4, '16 Elantra 1.8.
absurd post bringing Toyota into the mix, something that happened almost 20 yrs back and affected less than 2%, most say about 1% of their engines, Hyundai's Theta II engine problem is orders of magnitude larger than Toyota's ever was.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,253 Posts

My dealer was so backed up we went to an enterprise rent a car to get the loaner. Most were not pulling service loaners because waits were so long for engines.
Thanks to both of you for the advice. Unfortunately I've already driven away so can't check anything. Going back this afternoon to have the loaner detailed - you wouldn't believe it if you saw it. I had to sign a form that said no pets in the vehicle, then he opens the door and the interior is literally covered in dirt - the floors look like they had a mud wrestling competition. I looked at him and said "are you serious"? I understand this was all last minute and I appreciate that they even had something for me but wowza....so he said bring it back for a detail. I plan on asking him to consider putting me in something with AWD IF he thinks this is going to be more than 3 weeks. I'll mention to him that I would consider a rental if they could work on that - maybe they would prefer that anyway, would free up their loaner. So far he's been very understanding and I want to stay on his good side, I'm fairly picky and don't want the engine slapped in there just to shut me up. ;)
Same here. The Tucson had just come back so no time to detail and I was switching out during work hours.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My dealer was so backed up we went to an enterprise rent a car to get the loaner. Most were not pulling service loaners because waits were so long for engines.Same here. The Tucson had just come back so no time to detail and I was switching out during work hours.

Quite honestly I'm thankful the dealer was as helpful as they were, I literally called 10 miles from the place, said I was limping in and expected them to make me sit or give me a ride to work for the day...he asked what would be best for me - a loaner or a ride....of course I said loaner, lol. I didn't expect them to have anything available so quick and on a Friday. I'm happy to deal with the Elantra, it's "almost" loaded (no heated steering wheel, waaaaa) if I have to keep it but will give him a wink ask him to keep me in mind if something better comes along. I WILL get a chance to check my santa fe out quick because I forgot my garage door opener! :)

821 - 840 of 865 Posts