Hyundai Forums banner

801 - 820 of 855 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ah, you say that, but the service adviser gave us a lecture about how we might have to pay out of pocket if they find traces of sludge :rolleyes:

Every time I've gone to a dealer, I've hated the experience for one reason or another. Here's to hoping they go above and beyond, I suppose :beer:
Hopefully you have records of oil changes, either DIY, Dealer or Jiffy Lube etc.
I doubt that you will have a problem as yours is just another of many Theta II timebombs.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Ah, you say that, but the service adviser gave us a lecture about how we might have to pay out of pocket if they find traces of sludge :rolleyes:

Every time I've gone to a dealer, I've hated the experience for one reason or another. Here's to hoping they go above and beyond, I suppose :beer:
This is why some people dislike dealerships - you can get a service advisor with some sort of inferiority complex or maybe it's just boredom and they try to get a rise out of you and make like they have power over you .

you will get the engine replaced and ask to speak to a manager if the mucky muck tries to play with you.

it's that simple.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Hopefully you have records of oil changes, either DIY, Dealer or Jiffy Lube etc.
I doubt that you will have a problem as yours is just another of many Theta II timebombs.

Good luck and keep us posted.
there is no need for maintenence records - this has been discussed many times, under the T & Cs of the recall Hyundai replaces the engine. They are legally obligated to do so and will do so.

·
Registered
397 Posts
there is no need for maintenence records - this has been discussed many times, under the T & Cs of the recall Hyundai replaces the engine. They are legally obligated to do so and will do so.
Yes, I realize that. My suggestion is to short circuit the service writer's mention of not being covered if "sludge is found".

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Yes, I realize that. My suggestion is to short circuit the service writer's mention of not being covered if "sludge is found".
oh, sorry . My approach to these type of situations is often much different as I've found too often trying to work issues with the 1st line of contact people gets nothing but frustration so I am quick to say "let me speak to a manager"

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
You should see the oil pans of a lot of these we take of for the PA Request people...

Knocks or seized... I dont waste time with engine test,, the engine seized itself as it come across lot to to the shop entrance,, boom, it quit running... drop pan and advisor take pic, put it out and wait for engine

If it towed in already seized, who cares, drop pan, take pic, put it out, wait for engine

·
Registered
24 Posts
FYI - Important Product Improvement Campaign Letter

I have a 2018 SFS AWD 2.4LGDI 4-Cylinder Engine and just received a letter from Hyundai to install the new engine monitoring technology called a Knock Sensor Detection System (KSDS). I am taking the car to the dealer on Wednesday. They indicate it is a Software Update. My question was why not an OTA instead of an in shop update. They just said it needs to come in. It should take an hour. It is Campaign953.

I bought the car in Dec 2018 and have less than 1,000 miles on it.

I don't know if this relates to this posting, however, I thought I would let you all know about this. It is a no cost update to the ECU and Hyundai is also providing extended warranty coverage to both new and used vehicle owners for engine long block assembly repairs. The warranty extension is for 10 years from the date of original delivery or the date of first used, or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

I hope this may help to keep all us informed. This is the second Hyundai I have had. The other was a 2016 Elantra GT and never had a problem/recall on it.

I had a 2012 Ford Escape and the first year I had it, it had 4 recalls on it. Never a Ford again!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2018 SFS AWD 2.4LGDI 4-Cylinder Engine and just received a letter from Hyundai to install the new engine monitoring technology called a Knock Sensor Detection System (KSDS). I am taking the car to the dealer on Wednesday. They indicate it is a Software Update. My question was why not an OTA instead of an in shop update. They just said it needs to come in. It should take an hour. It is Campaign953.

I bought the car in Dec 2018 and have less than 1,000 miles on it.

I don't know if this relates to this posting, however, I thought I would let you all know about this. It is a no cost update to the ECU and Hyundai is also providing extended warranty coverage to both new and used vehicle owners for engine long block assembly repairs. The warranty extension is for 10 years from the date of original delivery or the date of first used, or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

I hope this may help to keep all us informed. This is the second Hyundai I have had. The other was a 2016 Elantra GT and never had a problem/recall on it.

I had a 2012 Ford Escape and the first year I had it, it had 4 recalls on it. Never a Ford again!
The ECU gets updated by plugging into the OBD (On Board Diagnostics) port of the vehicle and initiating a re-flash. It's a fairly elaborate process that's not designed to happen Over the Air.

The update, as I understand, better detects this issue and puts the engine in limp mode before total failure.

The block recall is what took out my engine. If you poke through the previous pages, there are a few people who went in, got the "A-OK", and still had a failure down the road - so take whatever the dealer gives you with a grain of salt.

We've enjoyed our Hyundai's as well, and we've enjoyed this one apart from the total engine failure it just had. Hopefully Hyundai has more concrete info for vehicles affected - we'd love another Santa Fe, but not unless we can ensure it doesn't have this problem.

I, too, had a problematic Ford - clutch failed at 60 miles taking it home from the dealer. That being said, I've never owned a car that failed right in the middle of its lifespan.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You should the oil pans of a lot of these we take of for the PA Request people...

Knocks or seized... I dont waste time with engine test,, the engine seized itself as it come across lot to to the shop entrance,, boom, it quit running... drop pan and advisor take pic, put it out and wait for engine

If it towed in already seized, who cares, drop pan, take pic, put it out, wait for engine
I take that to mean that once you guys send pictures, it's a drama-free process to get the new engine and put it in? That's good to hear.

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you poke through the previous pages, there are a few people who went in, got the "A-OK", and still had a failure down the road - so take whatever the dealer gives you with a grain of salt.
This is exactly what happened to ours. A year ago, at 52,000km we had it checked at the dealership, and we got the thumbs up - "your engine is fine".

At 60,000kms (and 600kms from home, on a frozen mountain pass, at -25c...) the engine started knocking. It made it another 70kms before it completely blew apart on the highway. Luckily far enough that we were back in cell reception to call Hyundai Roadside Assistance to come tow us.

·
Registered
397 Posts
This is exactly what happened to ours. A year ago, at 52,000km we had it checked at the dealership, and we got the thumbs up - "your engine is fine".

At 60,000kms (and 600kms from home, on a frozen mountain pass, at -25c...) the engine started knocking. It made it another 70kms before it completely blew apart on the highway. Luckily far enough that we were back in cell reception to call Hyundai Roadside Assistance to come tow us.
If checked a year ago, that must have been the "dipstick stethoscope" test. I wonder how much more sensitive the knock sensor 935 software upgrade is in detecting rod knock.

Either way, both tests just tell you that your engine is, or is not toast.

Hope your replacement engine is a good one, seems to be "luck of the draw".

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
If checked a year ago, that must have been the "dipstick stethoscope" test. I wonder how much more sensitive the knock sensor 935 software upgrade is in detecting rod knock.

Dont need test,, when it start sounding like hammers hitting an iron box (rod knock),, we all should know we have issue

·
Registered
173 Posts

Yeah, logic would indicate that the test is just a "it's fine now" assessment, but the way dealers sell it to customers is that the engine is fine going forward.

Got a new long block - not a re-manufactured one, so hopefully it'll be ok. Although I'm not too concerned as we'll be selling it in the next year or so. I was excited for the new Hyundai Palisade, but we won't be buying another Hyundai ever again.

As George W Bush once said:
"There's an old saying in Tennessee—I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, 'Fool me once, shame on...shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.'"​

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yeah, logic would indicate that the test is just a "it's fine now" assessment, but the way dealers sell it to customers is that the engine is fine going forward.

Got a new long block - not a re-manufactured one, so hopefully it'll be ok. Although I'm not too concerned as we'll be selling it in the next year or so. I was excited for the new Hyundai Palisade, but we won't be buying another Hyundai ever again.

As George W Bush once said:
"There's an old saying in Tennessee—I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, 'Fool me once, shame on...shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.'"​
Good point, I should have said toast or not "at that moment"

I really like the looks of the just-released pix of the 2020 Sonata, but no thanks if it still has the Theta II ticking timebomb under the hood.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Pho Toplex, that's a scary incident you described there,
glad you made it out okay..

My plan with 2020 sonata is to wait 4-5 years first to see if the new engine is reliable.

I haven't completely given up on Hyundai just yet.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I too, am interested in the Palisade. Wife is crazy about it. I would wait two years until I see how they're built. I could also go with a highlander. Those are built strong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Add me to the list

Came here to read through the thread and figured I would share my situation. 2018 SFS 2.4L engine failed at 15k miles. Has been sitting at the dealer for two months now with no eta for when the new engine will be delivered and installed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just received my 'Product Improvement Campaign Notice' for the KSDS software update R0153 and notice that warranty on my 2015 SFS Theta II engine will be extended up to 10 years/200,000KM.

First dealer I called claimed they are not performing this software update as it is causes more issues so I called Hyundai Canada who informed me this is misinformation and suggested I call 2nd dealer. 2nd dealer's earliest appt is 3 weeks from now.

Per Hyundai the warranty is only valid after the software update has been performed, not too mention the safety concern....3 weeks of anxiety I guess in case my engine blows from now till then.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just received my 'Product Improvement Campaign Notice' for the KSDS software update R0153 and notice that warranty on my 2015 SFS Theta II engine will be extended up to 10 years/200,000KM.

First dealer I called claimed they are not performing this software update as it is causes more issues so I called Hyundai Canada who informed me this is misinformation and suggested I call 2nd dealer. 2nd dealer's earliest appt is 3 weeks from now.

Per Hyundai the warranty is only valid after the software update has been performed, not too mention the safety concern....3 weeks of anxiety I guess in case my engine blows from now till then.
I had my update performed during the last oil change but was not informed about any increase in warranty coverage to 200,000 km and I am also in Canada. Would you be kind enough to post/share the letter showing the additional warranty details?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Came here to read through the thread and figured I would share my situation. 2018 SFS 2.4L engine failed at 15k miles. Has been sitting at the dealer for two months now with no eta for when the new engine will be delivered and installed.

15K....Really? That's disturbing! Did they provide you with a free loaner car?

801 - 820 of 855 Posts