Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 845 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Ha, I knew this was coming! Don't expect much from the "inspection".

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
That is not at all unusual. As more data is developed to show that the same condition exists in more model years the recall is expanded. I think every manufacturer operates that way because sometimes you really do not know when a problem was corrected on the assembly line.

As for the inspection....I remember a GM recall on brand new vehicles where the engines were thought to be internally defective and the "inspection" was parking the vehicle outside in a nice safe area, holding the engine at a specified RPM for a specified period of time, and if the engine survived it passed the inspection. If you heard a big bang and the RPMs dropped to zero or it became noisy during the test then you replaced the engine. Ditto for one with a possible electrical fire. Park it out back all by itself, activate the necessary electrical components. Recommended to have fire extinguisher and 911 capable cell phone handy. Do NOT leave vehicle unattended. Allow to run for two hours. No fire from suspect electrical component? Vehicle passes test......

The manufacturers are not going to disassemble each individual engine to determine which 3% (As an example) have the defect...

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was not impressed when I did the first oil change on the 2015 SFS sport. The amount of metal debris was astonishing to say the least. Don't they spray clean the parts before putting them together? No wonder people dump the factory oil in a couple hundreds km.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Nothing on Hyundaidealer to dealers.. More rumor mill

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Nothing on Hyundaidealer to dealers.. More rumor mill
It is true, multiple sources are reporting on it and people have gotten letters from Hyundai, you all are always the last to know about this stuff. lol Thanks again for the info about the engines going to Phoenix, I really appreciate it!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Disappointing, but at least Hyundai seems to be standing by the engine in the sense of repairing and extending warranties. Unlike GM with their POS V6 aluminum engines in the 2005-2009 (? I think it went up to 2009) Chevy Equinox and others that was notorious for blowing head gaskets (mine went twice in 5 years, and others had more).

The only thing that saved my bacon the 2nd time was the third party extended warranty. GM did nothing for anyone (that I'm aware of) --at least based on carcomplaints.com My first one blew at 34,000 miles (I want to say 6 years after I had the car).

Although I will say the vehicle rode very nice (smooth that is). Too bad everything else was kinda poop for reliability, but I should've waited until the next year (the '05 was the first model year) and then realized it wasn't a good reliable vehicle (consumer reports later gave it the "worst used car" of the year award--joy).

Although I can certainly understand frustration by anyone affected.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
That is not at all unusual. As more data is developed to show that the same condition exists in more model years the recall is expanded. I think every manufacturer operates that way because sometimes you really do not know when a problem was corrected on the assembly line.

As for the inspection....I remember a GM recall on brand new vehicles where the engines were thought to be internally defective and the "inspection" was parking the vehicle outside in a nice safe area, holding the engine at a specified RPM for a specified period of time, and if the engine survived it passed the inspection. If you heard a big bang and the RPMs dropped to zero or it became noisy during the test then you replaced the engine. Ditto for one with a possible electrical fire. Park it out back all by itself, activate the necessary electrical components. Recommended to have fire extinguisher and 911 capable cell phone handy. Do NOT leave vehicle unattended. Allow to run for two hours. No fire from suspect electrical component? Vehicle passes test......

The manufacturers are not going to disassemble each individual engine to determine which 3% (As an example) have the defect...
Yeah and if you looked in GM dealers dumpsters I'd be surprised not to find a whole bunch of empty STP or motor honey cans, make the engines last till out of warranty. But hey that was the "old GM" , the "new GM" would never cut corners and Mary what's her name even testified to congress about how good the "new GM" is.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Disappointing, but at least Hyundai seems to be standing by the engine in the sense of repairing and extending warranties. Unlike GM with their POS V6 aluminum engines in the 2005-2009 (? I think it went up to 2009) Chevy Equinox and others that was notorious for blowing head gaskets (mine went twice in 5 years, and others had more).

The only thing that saved my bacon the 2nd time was the third party extended warranty. GM did nothing for anyone (that I'm aware of) --at least based on carcomplaints.com My first one blew at 34,000 miles (I want to say 6 years after I had the car).

Although I will say the vehicle rode very nice (smooth that is). Too bad everything else was kinda poop for reliability, but I should've waited until the next year (the '05 was the first model year) and then realized it wasn't a good reliable vehicle (consumer reports later gave it the "worst used car" of the year award--joy).

Although I can certainly understand frustration by anyone affected.
You should Google "2010 Equinox Terrain oil consumption"... have fun reading that. :surprise:

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Ha, I knew this was coming! Don't expect much from the "inspection".
Well once the debris is cleaned out of my engine and the crank can spin freely perhaps I'll even hit the epa mileage projections ? One can only hope and pray.......:wink:

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Dealers are generally the last to hear about recalls. The Manufacturers are required to go public almost immediately and we usually see it in the press and have owners calling 24-28 hours before we receive the information. Sometimes we receive a heads up that something is coming, but not always. So a Hyundai dealer not having any information on this right away is really not a surprise nor a concern.

Dtech...never seen anyone I have worked with at a Dealer ever use additives in that manner. Your experience may have been different.
I have been fortunate to work for what have been pretty much straight shooters with good reputations, although we have had some really bad Techs (That didn't last here long). Now back in the day I used many of those products myself to keep the old hoop that was all I could afford to own still running. Couldn't even afford the parts to repair it properly. You do what you have to do at the time.

MJ.....For us it was the V6 engine in the Impala 3.5L I believe. Yes they were repetitive despite some design changes in the gaskets over the years. I think they went to a Fel-Pro supplied gasket set eventually and that seemed to clean them up. The Equinox back then was a 3.0L I believe an we did not see many issues with head gaskets, although 95% of what we sold were probably four cylinder engines. The other issue with those gaskets is that some of the Techs found ways to short cut the service procedure in a way that could have an adverse effect on the life expectancy of the gaskets. We forced some Techs to do the job correctly a second time with no pay when we caught them. I seem to recall that you were or are a GM Tech, so you probably know what I am referring to. People are people and no matter what you do there will be that small percentage that will be a problem.

Hey, we had a Hyundai Dealership when they were new to this country and the vehicles were essentially throw away. I mean they were JUNK back in the day and I would never have owned one. We sold the franchise in about one year I think and then bought it back again years later after the quality had improved dramatically. Every manufacturer has good and bad products and problems that take a lot longer to correct than they should for any variety of reasons.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
just taking a cheap shot at GM's diagnostic procedures, as some deride Hyundai for the acoustic test to find the bad engines, maybe the guy who works for Hyundai can add some insight as to how many problem engines were detected in the acoustic test, when the recalls are driven by the NHTSA whether mandatory or voluntary the proposed remedy often involves an arrangement that spares the mfg from drastic and financially damaging procedures like an actual internal examination of the engine, hoping that some of problem engines can be detected before they seize. The recall also serves to alert some drivers to be aware of some tell tale signs - noises, decrease in power etc.
Statisically doesn't take a whole lot of vehicles to bring about a recall when fires, loss of power and/or control at highway speeds is involved or malfunctioning safety equipment.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 2015 SFS 2.0T know the recall link says 2013-2014 model years but hopefully they checked all models up to present day.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Another day another recall eh Hyundai?

This is now my SECOND 2.4 engine that may grenade at any given moment.

If this recall is done anything like the one for the Sonata it will be a waste of time to even take the car in.

Only saving grace for Copper Top is that it is already knocking so maybe I'll finally win the engine lotto...

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
It's been on the local news as well. Mrs Dogg and I are on vacation in Tucson AZ and they did a spot on it on the 6pm news.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2015 SFS 2.0T know the recall link says 2013-2014 model years but hopefully they checked all models up to present day.
No kidding! im pretty sure there assembly and inspection process was the same in the 2013 - 2014 models as the are with the 2015 - 2017 models.

1 - 20 of 845 Posts