Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this email regarding a recall for 2021 Sonatas regarding the windshield assembly.

No remedy yet.

Font Material property Screenshot Number Parallel

·
Premium Member
'21 Limited, "18 Limited, "15 Limited
540 Posts
Just checked my VIN (2021 Sonata 1.6T) and there is nothing for my vehicle at this time.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata Limited 1.6T
68 Posts
Same here - nothing, thankfully, on mine. Mine was built in Korea. I wonder............

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-Line
401 Posts
A VIN search on the NHTSA Check for Recalls website 2021 HYUNDAI SONATA 4 DR FWD | NHTSA shows no open recalls on my N Line VIN. I did get an Email from NHTSA informing me of the :
NHTSA Recall ID Number :
21V00M
Manufacturer :
Hyundai Motor America
Subject :
Inadequate Windshield Bonding

·
Registered
2021 Sonata Limited
184 Posts
Thanks @jmillet for the recall ID, putting this here so people can see easily,

Affected Production Dates (2021 Sonata): OCT 29, 2020 - DEC 17, 2020

Begin : NR End : NR Not sequential

The subject vehicles include 9,596 model year 2021 Hyundai Sonata vehicles produced on 10/29/2020 through 12/17/2020 by Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama (“HMMA”) for sale in the U.S. market.

Just looks like cars with Axalta clear coat paint did not allow for adequate adhesion for the windshield.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A VIN search on the NHTSA Check for Recalls website 2021 HYUNDAI SONATA 4 DR FWD | NHTSA shows no open recalls on my N Line VIN. I did get an Email from NHTSA informing me of the :
NHTSA Recall ID Number :
21V00M
Manufacturer :
Hyundai Motor America
Subject :
Inadequate Windshield Bonding
Unfortunately my VIN search did come up with this recall. :mad:😢

·
Registered
2012 Sonata 2.0t Ltd & 2020 Palisade Ltd
1,103 Posts
It applies to the Elantra and Santa Fe as well. NHTSA has all the paperwork as well:

For those of you doing a VIN search, be patient. Hyundai has to send all the affected VINs to NHTSA first. You can see from the PDF I linked to that they plan to notify owners by 2/25, so I would wait until closer to that date before doing VIN searches.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The PDF file says that this affects 2021 Hyundai Sonatas produced 10/29/2020 - 12/17/2020. You can find your car's production date on a tag located on the inside of the driver's door below the tire pressure tag.

·
Registered
2021 Stormy Sea Santa Fe Calligraphy 2.5L Turbo 8DCT HTRAC 20" wheels
1,189 Posts
I just got an alert as well. It also affects 21 and 22 Santa Fe's. My guess is Tuscon's as well.
Across the board I'd say.

Now to make a decision, the recall states that in a collision the windshield can come loose. It doesn't say that it can come lose in normal driving. Why would I want a dealer messing with my windshield that's fine now and mess up the calibrations on the HDA cameras? Time to wait to see reports on just how messed up the dealers will make the repairs and also considering the length of time for new engines and transmissions, the windshields will probably take longer than the rust out time of the car!

·
Registered
2012 Sonata 2.0t Ltd & 2020 Palisade Ltd
1,103 Posts
I just got an alert as well. It also affects 21 and 22 Santa Fe's. My guess is Tuscon's as well.
Across the board I'd say.

Now to make a decision, the recall states that in a collision the windshield can come loose. It doesn't say that it can come lose in normal driving. Why would I want a dealer messing with my windshield that's fine now and mess up the calibrations on the HDA cameras? Time to wait to see reports on just how messed up the dealers will make the repairs and also considering the length of time for new engines and transmissions, the windshields will probably take longer than the rust out time of the car!
Do you not see the PDF I linked to above? Tells you exactly which cars are affected and when. No 22 models in there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I called Hyundai Corporate, no decal on mine either, all units produced in Korea are not affected just Alabama

1 - 17 of 17 Posts