Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. It has been a while since I posted, but I wanted to check for input. I searched the board and nothing popped out that I was looking for.

I just had my 2009 Sonata 2.4 GLS inspected and was told the rear pads were @ 10% and new rear rotors were needed. I just rolled 30,000 miles and drive about 90% highway. I asked about the fronts and was told they seemed OK. I said I didn't want to have anything replaced yet so I could check around and get second, third, forth options. I can see pads @ 30,000, but not rotors...the car brakes the same as the day I drove it off the lot - no metal on metal sounds, virbrations like the rotors are damaged... I am having the only mechanic in town I trust look at it, but he can't get it in until 5/3/10. So I have some time to look around & ask :) Just curious on any thoughts... plus the guy that is going to look at it mentioned addaptive pads, any thoughts on these?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
It's a common problem in the Sonata NF series. The slides on the calipers rust and stick while the rotors themselves are inferior grade metal. You have to constantly inspect, lubricate, and clean them or else replace pads and rotors a lot. Sounds like you probably don't need rotors, but it's easier for the dealer to replace them since you're paying. If it was my car, I'd have the rotors turned for $5 each and just replace the pads with pure organic material.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I found that out at 18000 miles about the calipers. Dealer cleaned and lubed everything & its been fine since. Guess I was suprised at rotors being mentioned at 30000 miles. I'm going to have Monroe take a look with their free brake inspection and see what they say. I won't tell them what the other place said, just get their take on it. Then I'll take it to the guy I made an appointment with on 5/3.

thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts