Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished paperwork yesterday and have been enjoying the extra horsepower and fuel economy compaired to my previous vehicle, a 2007 honda fit. I ended up selecting a black gs. My first priority is getting it paid off, and then after that maybe some light modifications. Any tips or hints for making these cars even better?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
:00000732:
I've got a 2012 SE hatchback, I really like it. I see you have a stick as do I, I think you'll like it. The gearbox is my favorite part when I drive it. I upgraded from a 12 year old Geo Metro (built by Suzuki), 3 cylinders and 59 HP. Good car though, over 200 K miles when I got rid of it and running great. Just time for a new ride. I left mine bone stock and it's done real good. cheers.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
.... enjoying the extra horsepower and fuel economy compaired to my previous vehicle, a 2007 honda fit..... Any tips or hints for making these cars even better?
Like to see a comparison between the older small car engines & the new GDI engines for Hyundai Accent. Thank you. Living in Tennessee, which has 472 sources listed for 100% gasoline, GDI engines have been warned NOT to use sub-standard gasoline to avoid carbon build-up. One interpretation is to avoid 10% ethanol blends. Go to pure-gas.org to find addresses, details, & a great zoomable map.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Congratulations on buying a manual Accent...definitely better performance and ( apparently ) real world gas mileage vs. the automatic. I can't deal with automatic transmissions in a small car personally...

In terms of first priorities, I would secure a spare tire ( compact or full size ) and a decent jack if you haven't already done so...it's the most limiting facet of the car and one where it may cost you more money being without one than buying it and having it in the trunk...not to mention the security.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Just put in synthetic oil after 5k miles, the GDI motors responds very well over dino oil. This engine is good stock, I don't feel a need for anything done to it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've been running 91 octane gas to avoid the knocking/pinging it gets on lower octane gas. Other then that it's good

·
22,793 Posts
I think litesong is a paid lobbyist for the Petroleum Marketing Association of America. If not, then should be. Has singlehandedly done more for the 100% gas revolution than anyone I know. :grin:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Like to see a comparison between the older small car engines & the new GDI engines for Hyundai Accent. Thank you. Living in Tennessee, which has 472 sources listed for 100% gasoline, GDI engines have been warned NOT to use sub-standard gasoline to avoid carbon build-up. One interpretation is to avoid 10% ethanol blends. Go to pure-gas.org to find addresses, details, & a great zoomable map.
I think that is just your interpretation,

What the Manual states is to Use Top Tier Gas or a good fuel system cleaner
Top Tier Gasoline

Go to the site and make up your own mind.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Congratulations on your new Accent! I think the main thing you can do to improve a GS (I also bought the GS, also w manual transmission) is to replace the dinky tires and wheels. Once you have 16" alloy wheels, there are a few options for tires in the 195-50-16 size. I would guess that this will improve your car more than anything else you could practically do to it. It won't mess up your speedometer and odometer reading if you stick to a tire that has a 23.7" overall diameter. (A slightly larger diameter like 24.1 might actually correct them.) And it won't invalidate any part of your warranty, or hurt your fuel economy too much.

I second the recommendations to switch to a good synthetic oil at your first scheduled change. This is easy to do and to afford if you're doing your oil changes yourself, but then you must fully document your oil changes to cover yourself for warranty purposes. Use Hyundai's oil filters, and keep all receipts. Also, I found it very helpful to switch the gear box oil out to full synthetic Redline MT-85 at 10,000 miles. It smoothed out some notchiness that had developed. There are some specific requirements for gear box lube in the owner's manual that must be adhered to, and few options to the Hyundai brand lube exist. Redline MT-85 is one and it works well.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot about the GS' steering wheel. Get a Wheelskins leather wrap for it. Learn the "baseball stitch" to put the Wheelskin on. The result is miles better than the SE's "leather" steering wheel, at least for my hands.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Once it starts to warm up again I might think about getting some wheels and tires for this thing. Any recommendations for someone trying to keep it clean and cost effective?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Once it starts to warm up again I might think about getting some wheels and tires for this thing. Any recommendations for someone trying to keep it clean and cost effective?
When the weather allows, hand wash with a good automotive car soap and ''wax on wax off", 3 or 4 times a year.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The best single resource for shopping for wheels and tires is tirerack.com

Three tires that look most interesting to me for my GS are: General Gmax AS-03, the Kumho Ecsta 4X, and the Continental Extreme Contact DWS. All three are described as All-Season type tires.

The General's deep V tread probably deals best with standing water, so if heavy rainfall and poorly drained roads were my chief concern, I'd lean that way. The G-Max is very responsive in cornering. It has some drawbacks though, like noise, a lack of strong on-center feel, and possible wear issues. The Continental DWS has a unique tread that is outstanding in snow/ice (for a non-dedicated winter tire). If I lived at elevation where snow was a frequent possibility, and I didn't want a set of tires/wheels just for winter and different set for the rest of the year, I would definitely choose the Continental's over the other two, since they are known to be poor performers in snow and slush. It also has a tendency to feel numb driving straight ahead. (And the Accent's electic assist power steering is anesthetized enough already, so it doesn't need any extra numbness from the tires.) But for a Ultra high performance tire it has a pretty smooth ride. The Kumho Ecsta 4X has a performance balance that is slanted towards sporty driving in dry warm conditions. It probably won't do quite as well in rain as the V treaded General G-Max AS-03, nor as well in snow as the Continental Extreme Contact DWS, but its "All Season" rubber compound won't go totally stiff and lose all its grip in cold weather like a Summer tire will. Here in Atlanta, I think the Kumho Ecsta 4X would be my choice. This is not the same Kumho model that is standard equipment on the SE model Accent. That Kumho KH-25 gets regularly slagged around here as a cheap POS. Hopefully there is no family resemblance between the Ecsta 4X and the KH-25.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Lol, No no I ment a wheel and tire combination that wouldn't look too crazy on an accent.
Ok, maybe the factory 16" alloy wheels and stock tire size. I think they look pretty nice. Maybe a big volume tire store near you might have some factory take offs they took in as partial trade on a tire / wheel upgrade. I've done that on a full sized truck I had, to return it to the factory steel wheels and get rid of the fancy wheels, so silly on a truck. Still, don't forget, "wax on wax off":p

·
Registered
226 Posts
Also, if you bump your tire size up to 205-50-16 from 195, there are several more options available. The overall diameter of a 205-50-16 tire is larger at 24.1 inches. However, this size increase may correct the errors of the Accent speedometer and odometer. It would be great if someone who has put on 24.1 in. tires and who has a GPS nav unit could confirm this idea.

The stock 16 in wheel of the Accent SE is 6 in wide. A more typical width for a 16 in wheel is 6.5 or 7 in. Lots of options for 16 in wheels can be found at tirerack for the Accents bolt pattern and hub diameter. One of the least expensive of these is also one of the better looking ones in my opinion: the Anzio Light or Anzio Vision models. Unfortunately lots of other people thought they were a good buy as well and these models are mostly out of stock until further notice. These two Anzio models both have a 6in width at 16 in diameter, like the stock Hyundai alloys, so they're maybe more appropriate for 195 width tires than 205 widths, although I'm sure 205s could be fitted too.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Mini...r=2013&autoModClar=&wIndex=6&grid=true&sw=853

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would think that the 16" OEM alloys would be pricey in pure value terms over many aftermarket rims if you can't find them in salvage / trade, etc...but I agree, I think the OEMs look nice. They look "mature" versus something out of a cartoon.

I upgraded to 205/50-16s and so far I'm really pleased. One thing I noticed is going bigger ( and at least a bit grippier ) mitigates the electric steering vagueness to a certain degree. I have my own views on tires ( that should probably be kept to myself ) but I personally think that ( unless you're upgrading the suspension ) you're better served staying with a good Grand Touring or High Performance category tire. At least with this car, you retain the ride quality and get better handling ( vs. the stock Kumhos ) by doing that...there are exceptions...I'm not a fan of the ( ultra high performance category ) Continental DWS but it's one to consider for a blend of ride quality, handling, and snow performance if you need it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Enkei makes some nice stuff

·
Registered
73 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot about the GS' steering wheel. Get a Wheelskins leather wrap for it. Learn the "baseball stitch" to put the Wheelskin on. The result is miles better than the SE's "leather" steering wheel, at least for my hands.
Has anybody tried a black Wheelskin wrap on their RB Accent? Just curious as to what it looks like. While it would be nice to have a better material on the wheel, I can't stand when something doesn't look OEM in my car.

Also, anybody have any wheelskins that are more forgiving on your hands in the cold?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts