Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my wife and I just purchased a 2003 santa fe from craigslist the car seems to be in good shape the body has no damage only minor clearcoat fading tires transmission engine are good. But the milage is very high and scares me 155k miles! I have some questions. First one it doesnt seem factory but the previous owner says it is. When you put the key in the ignition you have to turn it 2 clicks till you hear it beep twice before you can start it. The man said thats thr factory alarm is it? If you put the key in right away and dont wait it wont start nothing happens the starter doesnt engage. Also is the milage too high for me to drain and add fresh oem transmission fluid?? Anything I should look out for or know on this car??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and also the previous owner told me he replaced the timing belt last year he didnt give me many details other then he did it himself.. the ac compressor condenser and drier are brand new. The car seems to get pretty poor gas milage I average from 17 to 19mpg tops highway I was really thinking it got better then that. The car drives great tho runs like a new car!

·
Registered
209 Posts
What size engine? My 2005 with the 2.7L has the same mileage as yours and it runs like a champ. I've owned the car since new, so I know all the maintenance done to it and am confident in it.

If I was buying the car, I'd ask if the previous owner changed the water pump at the same time as the timing belt and when the last time the serpentine belt tensioner was changed. Here's some other things I'd check or change, these are just my opinions

- Change all fluids to get a solid base line. (Including power steering)
- Check and possibly change the spark plugs and plug wires, depending on condition.
- Check front and rear brakes and change as required
- Check suspension front and rear. Depending on where you are, rust and component wear could be a concern.
- Check Crank Position Sensor.

Good luck and I hope the car works out well for you. Ours has been and continues to be a champ.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Hey guys my wife and I just purchased a 2003 santa fe from craigslist the car seems to be in good shape the body has no damage only minor clearcoat fading tires transmission engine are good. But the milage is very high and scares me 155k miles! I have some questions. First one it doesnt seem factory but the previous owner says it is. When you put the key in the ignition you have to turn it 2 clicks till you hear it beep twice before you can start it. The man said thats thr factory alarm is it? If you put the key in right away and dont wait it wont start nothing happens the starter doesnt engage. Also is the milage too high for me to drain and add fresh oem transmission fluid?? Anything I should look out for or know on this car??
What part of the country will guide many answers to your questions. Rust is an issue if you live in one of the rust states. I would definitely change transmission fluid if I got a used car. We also need to know if it is 4wd or 2wd.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello its the 2.7 v6 its 2 wheel drive and its been from florida most of its life it has no rust at all underneath it. As far as the water pump being changed im not sure he never said I should of asked. Is the turning the key 2 times till it beeps twice normal for part of the factory alarm?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Stick key in and turn to crank and fire like any other everyday automobile.. 2 beeps and waiting is indication the thing been modified somehow.

2.7L, crank position sensor is common fail item, inspect regular and replace at sign of pigtail cracking from exposure to elements.

Clean ATF in trans goes a long way to prevent issues

Possible latest versions software for PCM and TCM not current

Registered in north states any time in it' life, frame and arm recall for rust.

Got VIN ?

·
Registered
98 Posts
quick question sbr. I just replaced my input/output sensors on my 05 2.7 auto trans and read that I should also have the tcm updated per the tsb. how much is a dealership going to charge me to have that done on average? I know it could use both updates (ecm and tcm). I purchased the santafe in 06 and I know it hasn't been to a dealership since. j/w. thanks in advance

1 - 7 of 7 Posts