Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I worked as a mechanic in a Nissan/Hyundai dealership 20 years ago. I swore I would never buy one, but here I am. I bought a 2010 Elantra Blue a few weeks ago. I wouldn't have bought one if I wouldn't have rented a Sonata last year to go on vacation. That car was awesome.

So, I'll be asking questions on the Blue as far as updating and modifying it. I hate that it doesn't have a temp gauge on the instrument cluster. So yeah, I'll be asking a few questions.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
17,134 Posts
I worked as a mechanic in a Nissan/Hyundai dealership 20 years ago. I swore I would never buy one
Yeah, me too, only it was Hyundai/Mitsubishi.

Then I went to work with VW and that made me realise just how good Hyundai cars are. I then bought a Hyundai and drove it for 13 years/100,000+ miles and never had to spend a penny on it other than routine maintenance. Although the battery did fail about 6 months after I sold it to a family member :surprise:

I hope your Elantra is as trouble free as my Getz was.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We looked at several cars before settling on buying a new Sonata. However, we are now experiencing oil consumption issues with the vehicle - apparently, it is acceptable to have to add one litre plus oil every 1500 kms according to Hyundai Canada. We have owned many different brands over our lifetime and never had this requirement. We have received no dealership support or manufacturer support. Very frustrated and would advise future prospective purchasers to think twice before deciding on owning a Hyundai Sonata. Does anyone out there have similar concerns? Any constructive advise to remedy or situation? Appreciated, Steve ?

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL
2,295 Posts
We looked at several cars before settling on buying a new Sonata. However, we are now experiencing oil consumption issues with the vehicle - apparently, it is acceptable to have to add one litre plus oil every 1500 kms according to Hyundai Canada. We have owned many different brands over our lifetime and never had this requirement. We have received no dealership support or manufacturer support. Very frustrated and would advise future prospective purchasers to think twice before deciding on owning a Hyundai Sonata. Does anyone out there have similar concerns? Any constructive advise to remedy or situation? Appreciated, Steve ?

Seems unusual to be using this much oil.

How is it being determined that you are using that much oil? I'm serious. I have found that if you pull out the dipstick you might find that it is low but when you wipe the dipstick and reinsert it, the oil "magically" comes up to the full mark. I'm thinking that the vacuum inside the engine has something to do with this.

The only certain way to know for sure is to drain all the oil out and then measure the volume. If it is a quart low is such a short distance then there is a reason. I have owned a dozen new Hyundais and oil consumption has never been an issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts