The unit finally arrived but they sent the wrong sized memory unit and no switches for passenger airbag and hazzard lights.
When I enquired about this they said you just use your own.
The problem with this is they don't fit.
Whilst the hazzard light switch fits in the hole it doesn't fit flush and won't actually activate the lights as it is too tight.
The passenger airbag warning light won't even fit in the hole and is shaped completely different.
Without new switches the unit looks horrible.
They gave me the option of sending it back at my expense ( approx $150 AUD ) or give me a part refund and also send the switch buttons.
I opted for the part refund and switch buttons.
The hazzard light switch fits in the unit without the original button on it but the passenger seatbelt switch didn't fit at all.
I decided to make it fit by using a dremel to cut the switch down to size and I now have that fitted as well.
I did have to extend the wires to these two switches as the originals weren't long enough to reach the new positions.
The unit has great resolution and looks good.
Just waiting for the buttons to arrive.
My car doesn't have canbus so the a/c graphics have been changed to phone controls.
They provided a pic of the new buttons
Wow, it looks like this turned out well despite the pretty radical mod. I'm always a little hesitant to commit to that much work when the finish is in doubt. I'll be installing a new dual din Kenwood with android auto instead of internal navigation so everything will fit with just a Metra kit.
By the way that leads me to a question. To maintain the use of the steering wheel controls I have opted for a Crux SWRHK-65E Wiring Interface. It comes with a plug and play harness so there is little work.
However, looking at your setup it appears you have connected a data link module to give you some readout information from the car computer. I was planning on installing an iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Interface Module, which would have still given me the steering wheel controls, but also whatever limited data the computer could provide (tach, speedometer, tire status, warning codes). But I couldn't find a matching harness.
Has anyone used this particular module, and did you direct wire it, or did you find a harness for the Tucson?
Thanks for letting me know. I think that maestro would make those operational for you, if you're handy enough to just patch into the data harness. My understanding is its right below the steering wheel. And, of course, patch into the the radio harness for the steering controls. Everything in the wiring diagram for the module looks pretty clear, I just wanted a plug-in play solution. Their website lets you select the vehicle, radio model, and steering wheel to get the right unit. I guess most of the new head units, and several GM and Honda's are coming with the capability.
All that said, your rig looks great!
I'll be posting my results when I get it installed. It'll be:
Kenwood DMX905S Receiver
Crux SWRHK-65E steering wheel interface
JL Audio C3-600s (front)
JL Audio C5-075CT (front tweeters)
Alpine SPR-17C 6" (Rears)
Eclipse EA-4200 Amps (2-bridged) 140W RMS each door
Rockford Fosgate P300-10 Self-powered Sub (300W RMS)
Steering wheel controls work as normal without any modifications.
Curiously USB port doesn't work even though a cable is connected to the unit. Not sure why!!!
Interested to see your results when finished.
Finally got most things sorted on the unit.
I had to put a frm01 relay into the on/off circuit to stop the radio turning off as soon as you press the stop button as it was annoying to have to wait for the unit to boot back up if you were waiting in the car with engine off.
The original radio used to stay on for a few seconds to let you do this.
link to how to wire it and settings.
I also had to mod the original IX35 USB port so that you could put a usb drive into the original port and it would be read by the head unit ( it didn't work with the USB plug provided in the harness ).
link for modification.
If you are doing this mod with an Australian IX35 then it will take a bit of work to modify the seatbelt light and hazzard light switches to make them fit. I ended up using some silicon to keep the switch buttons in place.
Basically the hazzard light button fitted without modification but the tangs to hold it to the switch were in the wrong place so a bit of silicon keeps it in place.
The passenger seatbelt light was a bit of an ordeal as you have to cut it down to make it fit in the unit and then cut most of the retaining tangs off the button and then silicon in place.
I bought the unit from KiriNavi ( aliexpress ) who were helpful in fixing the problems I was having. I would suggest that if you want the TPMS and OBD2 ( which I wanted ) you are wasting your time as they are not integrated into the unit ( even though the listing states otherwise!!! ). Also make sure they have the buttons for the 2 switches as they don't normally ship with the unit!!!!