Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All

Been a while since last visited, but stumbled across an article on Auto Express about the new, and forthcoming i10.

Although it looks good, one thing that surprised me was their mention of it having an ‘Automated Manual Transmission’ instead of the current Torque Converter, a DCT, or their own version of a CVT, which they’ve introduced across the pond on certain models.

I couldn’t believe it, so trawled the net to check/confirm, and based on the Hyundai Press Release (link below), it’s true.

Guess I won’t be upgrading, or parting with my current Automatic.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sadly looks like a blasted AMT, but video of an Indian reviewer on youtube and he reckons it's smooth. Question is for how long?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was due to swap the i10 at Christmas but will hang fire now I've seen the replacement model.

Exterior and interior looks a good step up from the current model so will definitely be looking at one.

My only hope is the the contrasting roof will be available in the UK, for some reason it's not on the i20.

The big disappointment is the current engines are being carried through, find that slightly unbelievable as the 1.2 Kappa is ancient.

Tim.

·
Registered
283 Posts
To me it's almost a facelift model. The manufacturers are compelled to keep new offerings coming to tempt buyers. I am disappointed and will hang on to the old one. Nothing here that would tempt me to go through three years of horrendous depreciation. Of course gadgets on the dashboard are the main pulling points for the younger buyer on PCP.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the Youtube link above Tim. Like bazza says, it does seem more facelift than anything. As for this new auto..? I know nothing really, but am sensing that this is NOT a step in the right direction..ie the AMT box.

What piqued my curiosity on Youtube though, was a quick search which found these recent uploads of a new N-Line i10 for 2020. A twin exhaust turbocharged 1 litre unit, with the oddest looking DRLs..at least to me !! Showcased in Frankfurt the other day.

Pretty sure there'll be no auto version..so discounts me. Plus, a tad too boy racerish in the looks department. It's a shame they couldn't have this engine to replace the existing old ones completely. Have not had time to read more, just discovered it. But here's also a couple of articles if anyone has a curiosity to want to read more.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/hyundai/i30/107870/new-hyundai-i10-n-line-sporty-city-car-revealed-at-frankfurt

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2020-hyundai-i10-n-line-warm-city-car-makes-its-debut

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks for the Youtube link above Tim. Like bazza says, it does seem more facelift than anything. As for this new auto..? I know nothing really, but am sensing that this is NOT a step in the right direction..ie the AMT box.

What piqued my curiosity on Youtube though, was a quick search which found these recent uploads of a new N-Line i10 for 2020. A twin exhaust turbocharged 1 litre unit, with the oddest looking DRLs..at least to me !! Showcased in Frankfurt the other day.

Pretty sure there'll be no auto version..so discounts me. Plus, a tad too boy racerish in the looks department. It's a shame they couldn't have this engine to replace the existing old ones completely. Have not had time to read more, just discovered it. But here's also a couple of articles if anyone has a curiosity to want to read more.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/hyundai/i30/107870/new-hyundai-i10-n-line-sporty-city-car-revealed-at-frankfurt

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2020-hyundai-i10-n-line-warm-city-car-makes-its-debut
Have to say I'm competely perplexed on Hyundai's engine choice for the replacement model, I wonder if they saved the turbocharged engine for the N Line model to tempt buyers to spend the extra, quite dissapointed really as I prefer the look of the standard model especially the front end but you're going to be stuck with the same old breathless archaic engines. I think Hyundai have missed a trick there when compared to similar cars most of which have much better engines choices on their standard models.

As far as I'm aware the replacent models are completely new regarding body panels and interior wise so I think Hyundai have done a decent job in keeping the i10's familiar looks. The frustrating thing I find with the current i10 is the lack of choice, paint, interior options so hopefully you can spec the car more to your taste with the forthcoming model.

Personally I think its head and shoulders above the current model, looks far more grown up and the extra tech is welcome which is what I look for in a small car.

Looking forward to having a look at one when it arrives at the dealer.

Tim.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have to say I'm competely perplexed on Hyundai's engine choice for the replacement model, I wonder if they saved the turbocharged engine for the N Line model to tempt buyers to spend the extra, quite dissapointed really as I prefer the look of the standard model especially the front end but you're going to be stuck with the same old breathless archaic engines. I think Hyundai have missed a trick there when compared to similar cars most of which have much better engines choices on their standard models.

As far as I'm aware the replacent models are completely new regarding body panels and interior wise so I think Hyundai have done a decent job in keeping the i10's familiar looks. The frustrating thing I find with the current i10 is the lack of choice, paint, interior options so hopefully you can spec the car more to your taste with the forthcoming model.

Personally I think its head and shoulders above the current model, looks far more grown up and the extra tech is welcome which is what I look for in a small car.

Looking forward to having a look at one when it arrives at the dealer.

Tim.
BiB. Absolutely agree.

I mean fair play to them for at least bringing a turbo charged option into the range. That has to be welcomed, and certainly overdue. It's just a real shame that it seems they are limiting this to the N-Line..which let's face it, an i10 is generally a car which has a history of appealing to more middle aged and older buyers.

How many 21 year olds in the UK own an i10..other than as a court appointed punishment to ruin their 'street cred' amongst their peers..? :p ..I think this is very much the niche they are trying to appeal to with the release of the N-Line

Yes, they certainly have missed a trick, and it's a headscratcher why they have yet again. True as you say - that they will want to tempt buyers into what will no doubt be their most expensive option - the N-Line. However, for most of us, a standard looking i10 - in whatever spec you choose - is probably going to remain the most popular option for new buyers. Stands to reason if they gave the mainstream a boost with a new similar engine, it would attract attention and doubtless sales.

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate on this point though. As well as being a member here, I have also been on the mailshot for the Skoda Fabia Briskoda forum since early 2017. Before buying my i10 (67 plate), I was just a whisper away from a more expensive Fabia SEL.

I was really glad with my choice in the end..and that has been reaffirmed constantly over the last 2 plus years. Literally every day on the mailshot from the Fabia forum, there is problem, after problem, after problem new posts, on literally every aspect/element of a car you could imagine.

I know, and concur that these engines are woefully outmatched by most other manufacturers...BUT...they do redeem themselves remarkably I feel in terms of reliability compared to the competition. I mean I read this place a few times a month, along with other forums - and the preponderance of reported problems is pretty tiny compared to others - in this case the Fabia (I'll have my daily flier of someone's latest woes shortly..!!)

That said. It's way overdue that Hyundai expanded the turbocharged units, so as to be available on regular models. I'd be severely tempted by another Premium SE, also (like you) attracted to the updated tech - especially if having a turbo charged unit as either standard or an option.

Sadly, it sounds like the auto gearbox is remaining in the Stone Age. So yet another reason for me not to consider a trade in/upgrade anytime soon. The current unit is at least reliable and smooth enough mostly, though not economical - what with only 4 gears. Really thought we'd be seeing a DCT on this next release. And my other big gripe of course - no cruise control on an automatic - only the manual. That's a Hyundai exclusive..which should be remedied.

And AEB..It should at least be optional - if not standard on all models.

I do think sometimes that Hyundai have a terrible read on the market, and what people want from a car, in a way to their financial detriment bizarrely.

Provide turbo as an option. Include an auto more modern than Fred Flintstone's runaround. I'd go from 'nope'..to sitting on my hands and deciding 'when' not 'if' I'd be upgrading.

Oh..in terms of colours. I'm a bland and boring oaf. I love the informal looking Stardust Grey I opted for :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts