Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all from the great white north
I am a new owner of a 2001 xg300. The car came with one key
Went to local dealer to get a spare. They ordered on 85.00 plus a service call
To program. Fine. Then told us that they could not program the
Spare because the key we had was not the original key
We would have to purchase complete set of door,trunk ignition lock. 800. Plus installation.
This sure sounds bizarre
Your thoughts please
Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you can unlock the doors with a remote, you can just use a non-chip key.

I never got an original key for my '01 XG. When I bought it used, I only received a non-chip duplicate, like one from a hardware store. I also didn't get a remote fob, so I had to unlock the doors w/ the key, but I never had any trouble cranking and driving with the duplicate key.

I picked up a couple of remotes later, and programmed the ECU for them, and then I learned that if you lock the door with the remote, the car will not run without the chip key unless you also unlock the car with the remote. That was actually a funny story... but I digress.

Anyway, with a pair of remotes and dup keys, I've had no trouble (Well, except for that ONE time when the car shut off and started beeping - see above.)

But, if you are set on a chip key, you can find a locksmith that specializes in auto keys, and you can get a key made. They have the technology to read the ignition and program a key to the car. Dealers use these guys when they need to do this. I don't know where you are located, but in Jacksonville, FL. the guys to see are InstantKeys on Cassat Avenue. http://instant-keys.com/ I've met them, spent a day with them, seen their shop, and can recommend them.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I'm gonna call "BS"....

Post up clean clear close up of the key you is using to drive car with...

Dont recall ever seeing XG with IMMOBILIZER..

·
Registered
146 Posts
Dont recall ever seeing XG with IMMOBILIZER..
I'm so sorry for your loss...

Anyway, I drive with this key:
[attachment=21633:XG_ign_key.jpg]

And I'll just leave this here...
[attachment=21634:XG_immob.jpg]

Like I said before, I got the car with this key, and no remotes. I got another non-chip key made at WalMart, and my wife and I unlocked and drove the car with them for quite some time. I managed some time later to locate a couple of XG300 key fob remotes, and had to reverse-engineer the system to program them in ( http://www.mlittle.com/Hyundai/remote/ ). After that, I "remoted" all the time. Once, headed back from the local post office, I got in the car, closed the drivers door, and instead of locking the doors with the button on the armrest, I just clicked the remote. I then cranked the car and started on my merry way home. I got only a little ways - I seem to recall it was only a couple of car lengths, but I could be wrong on that point, and the car began to raise holy héll. It stopped, and it blasted the horn, and it flashed the lights, and it cried out to everyone around "Hey everyone, look here!! This idiot is too stupid to drive or steal this car!!!" I tried switching the key off and back on, but ultimately had to hit the unlock on the remote to shut it all up again. I smiled my best and most sheepish grin at the fine folks enjoying a laugh in the Post Office parking lot, and I cranked the car with the same non-chip key, and I left for home once again.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Disregard...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts