Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...

I've driven everything that competes with the 2018 Tucson and many more trucks besides....I'm considering the 1.6 Turbo Limited/Ultimate, and have narrowed the field to only a few others (Rav4, MKC, CX5).

here's my question: The Tucson was the quietest except for the MKC and the most "composed" on rough pothole pavement.

I'm wondering if your Tucson still behaves in a quiet and comfortable way after six months or more of use. we had a Camry once that was great new but quickly became "loose" and loud and bouncy. I'd rather avoid that with this purchase if possible (my wife has rods in her spine...ride comfort is a concern).

thanks in advance for any/all insights....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Almost 2 years in and I’m still impressed with the refined and quality cabin. I’m used to BMW/Audi levels too in my other cars so says a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
The car stays good for 1.5yrs. But the OEM tires are getting noisy on not prefect road. Engine noise is still very low unless you really go crazy on the rpm.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I’m almost at 30,000 miles and it’s been over two years and the ride quality is still great, one of the things I like most about my Tucson.

I recently changed out my tires to Pirellis (Cinturato P7 All Season Plus) and they have made the ride quality even better, very comfortable, even going over train tracks isn’t bad.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Close to 2 years on roads from hades. Many are like hard lumpy porridge, made worse with constant construction everywhere now. Very pleased how it's held up under this punishment. Still tight and quiet inside out.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL 2.0T
253 Posts
My Tucson is similar to bkakus. I have 27k miles on it and i started hearing some tire noise a couple thousand miles ago. Other than that no complaints about the noise. Still plenty of tread so like any tire that is starting to wear down you either spend money early to get new tires or deal with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow....thanks all for those insights.

I'm so surprised and happy to read this! I'm shopping on ride/comfort...and really like Lincoln MKC but it's a lot more $$ and not rated as well on reliability....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Hyundriver....why?

Why no DCT?
I drove the Tucson DCT and the 2.4 w/ the six speed that will replace it on 19s....liked the DCT better. it seems like the software fix worked, no?

·
Registered
40 Posts
About a year and a half of ownership and 15K miles on my '17 Tucson Limited with the DCT. Still very happy with the car. It's solid and drives well. No issues with the DCT since the latest software release. As long as I ease into the throttle from a start so that the clutches can hookup, it drives well. Way better than that slushbox on my wife's old RAV4 that hunted and hunted on hills (she now has a new Forester that doesn't drive nearly as well, either - CVT, no turbo, not as quiet). Nice power with the turbo on my Tucson, which also helps it not to have to hunt on the hills. Love how fast it shifts, too. Almost helps me not miss rowing my own in my old Integra.

Ride is well composed on the rough stuff. The OEM tires are crap in the winter, so I opted for some dedicated snow tires for the inland northwest where I live. I get about 30MPG on average in mostly rural/suburb driving, but I don't use sport mode often and am rarely in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Almost two years and at 27,500 miles. It rides like the day that I bought it. At 25,000 miles the factory tires were getting noisy so I had them replaced and she is back to quiet. It does better on bumps than the 07 SantaFe that it replaced. Transmission has given me no problems. And also no rattles. I really like the car. I have a touchy back and my wife has a bad neck. We would quickly notice any degradation in ride quality. A solid car in my opinion.

I drove a 2018 CX-5 for two weeks while my other car was in the shop. I found the car to be noisy, under powered and had a small car ride. I was so glad to get out of that thing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Almost two years and at 27,500 miles. It rides like the day that I bought it. At 25,000 miles the factory tires were getting noisy so I had them replaced and she is back to quiet. It does better on bumps than the 07 SantaFe that it replaced. Transmission has given me no problems. And also no rattles. I really like the car. I have a touchy back and my wife has a bad neck. We would quickly notice any degradation in ride quality. A solid car in my opinion.

I drove a 2018 CX-5 for two weeks while my other car was in the shop. I found the car to be noisy, under powered and had a small car ride. I was so glad to get out of that thing.
yea honestly my #1 favorite thing about the Tucson is how big the interior feels inside. outside its a 'crossover' but inside that thing is like a luxury SUV. even the passengers can't believe the room in the back and the rear heated seats and reclining rear seats. i've driven rogues and several other comparable types of trucks and they're so **** tiny feeling inside it's brutal on the knees. Tucson is like driving on a cloud once you get your seat settings locked in.

(only downside is no presets for seating adjustments and i have a lady that likes to drive it occasionally and drive me crazy :grin2: )

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
2.5 years and 31K+ miles. Will need tires by the end of the year. They are getting a little noisy on bad roads. But most do anyway.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I don't know if the OP is still monitoring this thread, or if a purchase has been made, but here is my input:

After my first experience with the dreaded "no go from a stop on a left hand turn", I was petrified to let my wife drive our 17 Tucson Limited Ulimate. Combine the DCT issues with several bad experiences with the AC and the radio issues, we decided to take the responsible route, and traded in our 17 Tucson after 1 year of ownership in Dec 17. I now sleep at night and have no fears when my wife drives its replacement.

Additionally, we felt deceived by the "hands free" tailgate. It will open hands free, but not close hands free like many of the competition's hands free tailgates. And the Tucson's tailgate would often open by itself when we walked by it in a parking lot. Bad on me for assuming that it worked the way others did. We often have the need to have it close while our hands are full.

I was fully aware of the potential DCT issue when I bought it, but was pacified that the updates had resolved the issue, until it happened to me the first (of many) times. I really like the idea of the DCT, and have driven many many miles with a manual transmission, so this was a big disappointment. I guess I was wrong to have bought it. I guess Hyundai decided it wasn't worth the bad press. Sadly, as it was mostly a very nice vehicle... quiet, peppy, good mpg, and roomy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JB thanks for that.

have not purchased yet. MKC off the list (long story), it's now down to Tucson or Rav4....(of all things). I like the Tucson much better but am worried about the DCT the more I read.

thanks all for the input!
TM

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL 2.0T
253 Posts
I was down to the Tucson and CX-5 when I was car shopping. If I could go back I would probably choose the CX-5. Good looking car and I liked the interior.

We test drove a 2017 Rav-4, Rogue, and CR-V before getting my wife's Forester. Rav-4 was by far our least favorite. The fake leather they had in the limited model that extended all across the dashboard was awful.

·
Registered
55 Posts
JB thanks for that.

have not purchased yet. MKC off the list (long story), it's now down to Tucson or Rav4....(of all things). I like the Tucson much better but am worried about the DCT the more I read.

TM
Where do you live? I mean, do you need to worry about ice or snow traction?

If you need to worry about ice or snow a lot, maybe Tucson isn't that fit. I do drive it and still do. And I live in area that I have snow or icy condition for 5-6 months. I even have dedicated actual winter stud tires, Nokian. I know a bit about the feeling of winter driving of Tucson.

However, if winter traction isn't the case, you just need to remember the driving habits of the Tucson DCT, then 95-99% of the time you are worry free. I developed some habits that I only use on the Tucson, and I haven't worry about the DCT ever since.

To be honest, I like the Tucson DCT + Turbo combo. Well, everyone like stronger engine, but this one does pretty well in most conditions already.

·
Registered
55 Posts
JB thanks for that.

TM
Also, if you drives in bad traffic a lot, don't ever get Tucson. You will hate it for the stop and go of DCT.

Last, RAV4 was my least favorite when I shopped. If no Tucson, I may go for CX5 or Forester.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The suspension on my 2017 Tucson seemed to loosen/soften noticeably after only 5K miles. The rear in particular has more roll and drop after going over bumps. Also hear odd noises coming from the rear passenger side over even small bumps and seems like that side has more impact. Dealer says they can't find anything. Tires did get a bit loud after a few thousand miles as well.

Have you driven a Escape? The 2017 and newer model is sound proofed at least as well as the Tucson and has better ride and handling IMO. Also the 2.0T with no DCT.

If still considering the RAV4 I'd at least wait for the 2019 redesign. A bit of a horsepower bump, much nicer looking IMO and maybe they'll actually improve the awful suspension and cheap noisy interior.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts