Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

As the name suggests, I drive a '13 Accent GL sedan. I bought it from a family member who used it for work and has about 35,000KM on it in under a year. This is in part one of the reasons why I'm thinking of trading it in. The other reason is I hear this strange sound when I press the accelerator. The best analog I can come up with is the sound a case fan in a computer. Subtly faint whirling noise. I'm not sure if this is a design trait or a sign of trouble to come. Finally, if I were to do it over again, I would go the hatchback route. I test drove the Elantra GT and I really liked it. Some others on the short list is the new Kia Soul, Kia Forte 5 and even the Veloster although the Turbo is overpriced.

Any thoughts on the noise?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Pretty sure the noise you're hearing is the high pressure fuel pump. It's normal for GDI engines AFAIK. Seems to be more apparent when the engine is cold.

·
Registered
907 Posts
The direct injection engine in our Hyundais, specifically the Accent, is rather noisy, so I'd understand if you find it annoying.

There are multiple threads on noises with this car, but it mainly has to do with the fact that the car has little to no sound deafening material, so you hear almost everything!

Also, the veloster is the same as the Accent, just sportier looking. It has the same noisy engine.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

The car should still be under warranty.. (I'm pretty sure the warranty can be transferred). Run it by a dealer and see what they say about the noise.

If you pay more, you can get a nicer car than the Accent. I think the bottom line is.... If you really don't like the Accent, trade it in for something you like :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
I agree with Xoxlin...it sounds like the fuel pump ( which is a normal sound on the GDI engines ). All told, I think the GDI is only noisy on heavy excelleration. I don't find it particularly noisy otherwise. At idle ( cold ), the fuel pump seems to compete with the engine for decibel level supremacy but this engine is definitely the smoothest four cylinder I've owned. When I bought my SE the first thing the salesman did was go over the "complaint" items. "OK, first off this car doesn't have a spare tire...it has an inflation kit...and ( opening the hood ) that sound you hear is the high pressure fuel pump for the direct injection engine....it gets quieter when the engine is warmed up"...which is true. If you can localize that sound when it's cold and warmed up, idling and excellerating, then you can probably confirm it to be the fuel pump.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi guys,

As the name suggests, I drive a '13 Accent GL sedan. I bought it from a family member who used it for work and has about 35,000KM on it in under a year. This is in part one of the reasons why I'm thinking of trading it in. The other reason is I hear this strange sound when I press the accelerator. The best analog I can come up with is the sound a case fan in a computer. Subtly faint whirling noise. I'm not sure if this is a design trait or a sign of trouble to come. Finally, if I were to do it over again, I would go the hatchback route. I test drove the Elantra GT and I really liked it. Some others on the short list is the new Kia Soul, Kia Forte 5 and even the Veloster although the Turbo is overpriced.

Any thoughts on the noise?
the accent has a superior engine ( GDI) and handling compared to the elantra. better power-weight ratio and mpg are also reasons why I would not touch an elantra right now.
you would be much better off with the 2014 kia forte ex , which has a 2.0L GDI engine, or the sx model with the 1.6L turbo/gdi engine.
as for the accent, I have 2 of them, and the noise you hear is the fuel pump when cold , which is common to all gdi engines. granted, Hyundai should have used a bit more sound muting materials. I would not trade it in solely for that reason. jmo.;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts