Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...
I likely will be picking it up this afternoon.

I've been looking for a vehicle for a couple of months... and came across what looks to be a good deal on what happens to be a Hyundai Santa Fe. Honestly I've never given Hyundai a thought (look I can spell it now) but I was always a fan of Toyotas and thought of getting a RAV4.

Anyway after some googling, youtubing, and this forum... I think I might like it better. Never driven either anyway ^_^

Not sure of the year or model yet but it's a 1 owner, always maintained, accident free, 130k miles for $2500.

Any particular questions / weak links I should look for before handing over my cash?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Rav 4 is definitely a nice car. Toyota always makes a nice product. Had a lot of Toyotas in the family.

Santa Fe is pretty good, but I assume you're talking about an older one. You should be mindful of check engine lights, as they seem to have emissions problems when they get older... nothing especially glaring... but I'd definitely have it checked out by a mechanic you can trust.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I've had a lot of old Toyotas as well.
And the "good deal" is from a trustworthy source / mechanic.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We just purchased our 05 Santa Fe. We were looking at the Rav4 and the Ford Escape as well. We decided on the Santa Fe for the size, power and styling. The roominess inside ( elbow room ) was really the deciding factor for us, as well as the power of the 3.5L motor. The biggest thing you'll want to find out or have done on your ride is the timing belt, as 125k should be right in the range for the 2nd belt change. If it's been done, great, otherwise you'll want to consider getting it done sooner than later. The belt costs about 90 bucks, the "kit" costs about 225 bucks and having it done by a mechanic will cost you 4.5hrs of labor on top of parts. Most of the reports here put a DIY replacement at 10-14hrs for the uninitiated.

Older models have had issues with the crankshaft sensor, and there have been some problems with front end parts ( control arm bushings ).

For the most part from my brief time on these forums, there really isn't a real rash of problems overall. The real bug-a-boo is that timing belt, because if it goes, it takes the motor with it as this is an interference engine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just picked it up. A 2002.
Runs great... love it. :)
And of course 20 miles onward and the check engine light comes on.
Guess I'll be checking the engine.

·
Registered
162 Posts
And the "good deal" is from a trustworthy source / mechanic.

And of course 20 miles onward and the check engine light comes on.
Guess I'll be checking the engine.
Sounds like you should take it back to you trustworthy source / mechanic. Autozone can also read the codes - for free.

Be Safe, Mark V.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts