Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL
2,366 Posts
Anyone hear when the new map updates will be released? They are usually released the first week of October and I want to see what changes if any.
You didn't ask for this advice but I will give it anyway. The Nav if it is like mine is an inferior unit. No way on earth would I spend anything to update it regardless. It's only usefulness is knowing generally where you are when you are going somewhere. The back-up camera is also useful in mine.

I would instead ignore it and get a new Garmin or equivalent for about $160 and a "beanbag" mount and put it on your dash when you go somewhere. When you get there just take it off and stick in your armrest. Mine has the the speed limits on just about any road, the speed of the vehicle and if one goes over the speed limit it will turn red. Should save on traffic tickets. And it has free lifetime map updates.

A proper Nav system would be like the one they have in the Santa Fe, or presumably the new 2014 model. 2013 and below Nav systems are a rip-off, plain and simple. I owned a 2013 Santa Fe with all the bells and whistles so I know whereof I speak.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I use it as simply a map as well...use my smart phone's GPS apps as they're way better...tried to use the nav in the car when we first got the car and it either got us lost or took us in a completely roundabout way to get to our destination.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Here is the site where you can check and get the updates. It looks to me like there is a new update, I will have to check my current version to be sure (mine is a 2012). Last year they had a "sale" for $99 late in the year, right now it is $199.

https://www.mapnsoft.com/us/hyundai/default.asp

I have had good experience with the nav. It is graphically primitive but it is always ready to go and it's routing is accurate and reasonable. Last year I used the detour function to avoid a multi-hour backup on a long trip, that in itself paid for the sucker!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I also find the big black on white signs on the side of the road much more easy to read. My Fusion has the speed limits signs on the Nav package. Want to know how often while traveling I go "Hmm, wonder what the speed limit is, let me check my nav".

I will admit the one in my Sonata isn't super efficient; however it does get me where I need to be in the event I program an address into it. I also dont use my nav to point out anything in particular either like POI's or items of that nature.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL
2,366 Posts
I highly doubt the people who spent around 2000 dollars for an in dash navigation consider a 160 dollar suction cup mounted navi an option. I wish people would even stop suggesting it.
Well, I am such a person but I don't use a suction cup mounted Nav system. I mount it on a "beanbag" and remove it when I reach my destination.

The factory system is a total rip-off as is the map update costs. Had I known how inferior the factory system was I would never have bought the car. Waste of money.

·
Registered
6 Hyundais and a couple of horses.
263 Posts
I like the factory nav. I had the benefit of using it for a month before I bought our 2013 Sonatas, and saw very little practical difference between it and the Garmin Nuvi 3597LMTHD that I use in my Land Rover, with the exception being that the Nuvi is more "purdy".

Maybe I'm just lucky that I don't go anywhere where I hear banjos playing and have to beat it in a hurry. :unsure:

·
Registered
687 Posts
My navi is pathetic. It's the only word I can find to describe it. It's borderline worthless. Roads made in the last FOUR years do not show up. I wish there would be a usenet/torrent download. I have version 4.4.15.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.