Hyundai Forums banner

New Ignition Coil Design

6K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  npcz83 
#1 ·
According to Hyundai Technical Service Bulletin 20-FL-001H, there is a new coil design that’s supposed to address the common misfiring issue in some 2017 2.0L Elantras.

I haven’t been able to find anything on the internet (other than the TSB) about the new design, but apparently the shaft is different, among other things. Does anyone have more info on this, or know where I can buy one of these newer design coils? It happens often enough to where I keep a spare coil, 4 plugs and socket wrench in my trunk, so I’d like to buy one of these coils, but when searching online I only see the old design.

I attached a picture of the old design vs. new design. And here is the full TSB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10172218-0001.pdf
Product Font Sleeve Technology Screenshot

See less See more
#3 ·
You mean like the four I just installed like the one on top. They all had the new design. Ebay vendor I used had pictures of the old style ones on website. They are now sold out. I think wherever you purchase you may want to ask if it is the new design since the part number is the same.
Auto part Monochrome Machine Monochrome photography Pipe

#6 ·
You mean like the four I just installed like the one on top. They all had the new design. Ebay vendor I used had pictures of the old style ones on website. They are now sold out. I think wherever you purchase you may want to ask if it is the new design since the part number is the same.
View attachment 461550
Yeah, I actually emailed Hyundai with the TSB attached, and said I took my car to the dealership and they replaced the coil but they replaced it with the same older design. I included in the email that I have had to pull off the side of the road 3 times (car only has 39k miles!) already and change a coil (that I had to spend my own money on). So I asked them to replace my 4 old design coils with the newer design as a favor considering I’ve spent at least $100 of my money on coils that shouldn’t be failing in the first place. I doubt it will work, but it’s worth a shot.

#5 ·
Yes. Shaft is different. New design entire shaft is a flexible material. Shaft tappers more at the end. I had concerns of that making them hard to install. On inside of tip there was a ring of yellow lube or grease. They slid on like butter. New design should help with moisture causing issues since they should seal better around plugs.

#11 ·
The company I work for is also running out of stock on Oil filters. They have another supplier right now, but we have already had many returns on them for not fitting correctly. Prices have gone up quite a bit too. Any cleaning supply has gone up.
Some oil is almost impossible to get.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.