Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as you can tell by the topic I'm new to this whole car gig. I have a 2006 Sonata V6 68k (LX i believe). I have several questions. Sorry to hit you guys with so many questions but most of these questions might just be dumb and easy to answer. But i know nothing about cars so please stick with me and help me out.

When I accelerate i have this whining sound that gets louder as I accelerate. What do I do? I got it checked today and I'm good on power steering, my belts are fine. The guy said just bring it in tomorrow they will take a closer look. What could the problem be and what will be the cost to fix it?
I have some minor scratches on the back, how much will it cost to them covered up?
My right side mirror got cracked, the whole thing. How much will that be to replace?
Should i get a straight pipe on my Sonata?
Should i get 30% tints all around?
What are some nice rims to put on it for a good price?
How much would a tune up cost?

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
587 Posts
Whine most likely power steering. Change fluid. But, inspect first and determine what it is. Mine would whine in cold weather before I changed.

What guy is going to look at it? Hyundai? Independent shop?

Scratches, don't worry about them unless you have OCD.

Mirror, check Korean auto imports or look on ebay for mirror. You can DIY, mirror has 3 bolts easy fix.

Straight pipe? Are you out of your mind. Terrible idea. Why? Extremely loud, I like the car quiet the way it is.

QUOTE (TheBoonDockSaints @ Jun 8 2010, 01:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330800
Well as you can tell by the topic I'm new to this whole car gig. I have a 2006 Sonata V6 68k (LX i believe). I have several questions. Sorry to hit you guys with so many questions but most of these questions might just be dumb and easy to answer. But i know nothing about cars so please stick with me and help me out.

When I accelerate i have this whining sound that gets louder as I accelerate. What do I do? I got it checked today and I'm good on power steering, my belts are fine. The guy said just bring it in tomorrow they will take a closer look. What could the problem be and what will be the cost to fix it?
I have some minor scratches on the back, how much will it cost to them covered up?
My right side mirror got cracked, the whole thing. How much will that be to replace?
Should i get a straight pipe on my Sonata?
Should i get 30% tints all around?
What are some nice rims to put on it for a good price?
How much would a tune up cost?

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Whine could be a lot of things. Could be the alternator. Could be a tire. Could be the transmission.

Mirrors are insanely expensive! You may be able to buy an after market mirror cheaper.

Scratches depend. If real light, a detailer may be able to polish them out for you. If they go down to the primer
or bare metal, you will probably have to get the entire panel painted. If the scratches aren't real long, a touch up
stick can improve the looks a lot. I've touched up before, and was almost unable to find my touch up. Other
times, it didn't come out so great.

Ixnay on the ipespay. :grin:

Good luck!

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
QUOTE (bobad @ Jun 8 2010, 02:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330953
Whine could be a lot of things. Could be the alternator. Could be a tire. Could be the transmission.
A little patience and doing some logical tests can narrow it down.... Like accelerating with the shift at Neutral (standing, or shifting down to Neutral while moving) can determine if it has anything to do with the transmission -- or a tire.... If the car still whines, fluctuating with the RPM (not the speed of moving) -- it's none of the above....

Mine did the whining which turned out to be the power steering pump, replaced under warranty. But it took a GOOD (and willing) mechanic to determine that....

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Ya got any kids? :grin: My nephew was a good kid, for a 4-year-old, but he'd argue anything. He's a lawyer today, doin' great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts