Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had read that they were supposed to have a louder horn in cars starting Oct.1.
Does anyone have a Sonata they just bought that can verify?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I picked my Sonata up today. Manufactured early Oct 2011. Compared the horn to my friend's. He has the silver disc horn that sounds like a sick duck. My Sonata has a standard-looking black seashell-shaped horn that is somewhat louder and more authoritative. So yes it looks like they have changed the horn

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (freddieT @ Nov 9 2010, 01:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370088
I picked my Sonata up today. Manufactured early Oct 2011. Compared the horn to my friend's. He has the silver disc horn that sounds like a sick duck. My Sonata has a standard-looking black seashell-shaped horn that is somewhat louder and more authoritative. So yes it looks like they have changed the horn
Do you have the "ECO" switch on the left side of the dash next to the dimmer?

·
Registered
14 Posts
They did change the horn but I'm not sure when. Mine was manufactured Sept 15 2010 and it has the "new" horn.

I also have the ECO button on the left near the dimmer.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The new horn and Active Eco were added September 1, along with better sound dampening, a few minor structural reinforcements and a few other tweaks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
See, I asked my dealer if they changed horns, and according to them both horns have the same part number.

I went out to see a Turbo, because I knew it would have to have had a EDIT: newer build date. It sounded different, or so I thought.

I called Hyundai Consumer Affairs, or whatever worthless title that is. I assumed they'd gather my info, research my question and then force my dealer to make the change at their expense. Well, all they do is take your info, and get you in contact with a dealer......uhhhhhhhhhh worthless!

How can I be sure that Hyundai uses a different sounding horn?

My build date was 8-17. Purchased on 9-7.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (Adamleefirsthyundai @ Nov 9 2010, 04:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370246
See, I asked my dealer if they changed horns, and according to them both horns have the same part number.

I went out to see a Turbo, because I knew it would have to have had a EDIT: newer build date. It sounded different, or so I thought.

I called Hyundai Consumer Affairs, or whatever worthless title that is. I assumed they'd gather my info, research my question and then force my dealer to make the change at their expense. Well, all they do is take your info, and get you in contact with a dealer......uhhhhhhhhhh worthless!

My build date was 8-17. Purchased on 9-7.
I believe the ECO switch was also changed. Do you have the ECO switch on the dash? If so then you probably have the revised horn.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am well aware of the ECO button change as well. Getting to prove to ANY dealer that there was a horn change, is what I am after. According to them, they are not aware of any change.

To answer your question, my build date is 8-17, which is obviously before the 9-1 mid-model year change.

·
Registered
35 Posts
QUOTE (Adamleefirsthyundai @ Nov 9 2010, 03:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370246
I have the Active Eco button.

My dealer did not know about the horn change either.

I looked through the grill on my friend's Sonata, mfr. I am guessing June 2010, and I saw a silver disc horn. kind of like this:

When I look into the grille of my sonata, manufactured Oct 2010, I see a snail-type horn, something like this [this is not the actual horn]:

I haven't had a chance to look at the numbers that are printed on mine... if I do I will post the results here.

Used the horn in traffic today, it is still a little bit wimpy. might have to get something more... persuasive.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (freddieT @ Nov 9 2010, 08:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370312
I have the Active Eco button.

My dealer did not know about the horn change either.

I looked through the grill on my friend's Sonata, mfr. I am guessing June 2010, and I saw a silver disc horn. kind of like this:

When I look into the grille of my sonata, manufactured Oct 2010, I see a snail-type horn, something like this [this is not the actual horn]:

I haven't had a chance to look at the numbers that are printed on mine... if I do I will post the results here.

Used the horn in traffic today, it is still a little bit wimpy. might have to get something more... persuasive.
YES you have the updated revised super duper horn.
Only kidding , Enjoy

·
Registered
238 Posts
Been working with my dealer on this. Pulled my car up next to another sonata on the lot and showed the difference and also pulled it next to a Santa Fe horn (which is what is in the new builds) and showed them. They educated me that the part numbers were not different. They ordered me a new horn today and hopefully they will have it in by this week. When he said there was no difference in part numbers I told him to compare the part number he was ordering to the VIN on a newer build. Hopefully I will have more. I wrote hyundai about a few things last week. Hopefully to get some answers on a few things coming up soon! Stay on them about the horn. Best case is to sound very educated about what has changed. Do some homework. What seemed to work the best is pull your sonata's next to new builds. Let them hear it. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

Can someone tell me what the change on the ECO button was?

I really don't like the sound of my current horn now. I have the ECO button on the left hand side. Does it mean my sonata already has the revised horn?

Another stupid question: how do I find out the build date of my car?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
QUOTE (Andy Liu @ Nov 10 2010, 04:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370624
Hi,

Can someone tell me what the change on the ECO button was?

I really don't like the sound of my current horn now. I have the ECO button on the left hand side. Does it mean my sonata already has the revised horn?

Another stupid question: how do I find out the build date of my car?

Thanks!

your build date i do believe is on your door jamb plate. open your driver's door...look for the plate...NOT the tire pressure label. tells you there

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (fear24 @ Nov 10 2010, 02:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370643
your build date i do believe is on your door jamb plate. open your driver's door...look for the plate...NOT the tire pressure label. tells you there
Thank you.

My car is currently at the dealer for an alarm problem. I will check it when I get it back.

How about my other question? If I have the ECO button on my left, does it mean my car has the revised horn?

Thanks!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
QUOTE (Andy Liu @ Nov 11 2010, 02:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370883
Thank you.

If I have the ECO button on my left, does it mean my car has the revised horn? Thanks!
I believe that is the case.
Honk it and see if it sounds wimpy, and you will know right away.

·
Registered
166 Posts
QUOTE (Andy Liu @ Nov 12 2010, 03:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371178
My car was made on Sep 12th and it has the active ECO button, so it seems it has the revised horn. I just still don't like the sound though. Anyway, I can live with it.
Anyone had any luck getting Hyundai to replace the horn at their cost? The old one is downright dangerous. I mentioned it to the service advisor and he just gave me a clueless look and tried to tell me it was my trim package (LTD w/nav).

·
Registered
238 Posts
They ordered me one. Not sure if it is the correct one or not. They state it a small sliver disc looking this. By what one poster is saying it's not the right one. Guess we will see. Service Manager stated he ordered it from a VIN number built in September. Guess we will see. I have a feeling it's going to be wrong.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts