Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just bought a used 2010 Santa Fe (2.4L). The car has 22K on it and is totally fine, but one thing that bothers me is that the engine whines and is kinda loud. The dealer said something about a "noisy idle pulley".
Do you guys know anything about this? Any suggestions?

Thanks

PJ

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (joakim6945 @ Nov 17 2010, 03:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372542
Hey guys,

I just bought a used 2010 Santa Fe (2.4L). The car has 22K on it and is totally fine, but one thing that bothers me is that the engine whines and is kinda loud. The dealer said something about a "noisy idle pulley".
Do you guys know anything about this? Any suggestions?

Thanks

PJ
If the idler pulley (for a belt) is whining, it's possible that the bearings are shot. It's not a painful or particularly expensive thing to replace, but if it fails, could leave you stranded. The dealer should take care of that one under the 5 year / 60K mile warranty.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I had a noisy idler pulley on a Nissan 4 cylinder... an annoying whining sound that rises and falls with rpm. Cost me $50 or something like that. But your Santa Fe is fully covered... just let the dealer fix it.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I agree. If the dealer thinks that's the issue, let them fix it and if they turn out to be wrong, it's nothing on you. Either way, it's not going to cost you any money.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK thanks guys. I actually have a video of what it sounds like. I guess there is no way to post videos here right?

By the way, have any of you heard of this noisy idle pulley on many Hyundais?

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Upload it to YouTube and then post the link here. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
If it didn't follow the engine RPM the way it does, I'd have guessed fan. But electric fans don't track RPM.

I've heard a few idler pulley and alternator bearing noises in my time, but nothing quite like that. Those tend to be either more of a grindy/hiss noise or a screetching/whistling sound depending upon how bad they are. Based upon the level of your voice, it certainly does sound loud from here! Sounds like a freaking belt sander in there. Have you had a look at the belt? They can make noises like that if they're tracking totally off angle for some reason, but with that level of noise, yours should be shredded by now.

If you're curious, you might want to try the "garden hose" trick. A bit of hose/tubing about 3' long that you can stick in your ear and point the other end at possible sources. It's tight in there, though -- might not be easy.

Whatever it is, the loudness would have me back at the dealer with it pronto. Any bearing or belt making a noise like that is likely to leave you stranded somewhere.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your answer. I am taking it into the dealer tomorrow morning. Whatever it is, it should be covered by warranty right?
I read somewhere that this type of sound can be caused if someone has cleaned the engine as well. By the looks of it, I think someone has.

Found this video also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXej4PmypzA

Sounds like it could be the same thing right?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (joakim6945 @ Nov 19 2010, 10:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373027
Thanks for your answer. I am taking it into the dealer tomorrow morning. Whatever it is, it should be covered by warranty right?
I read somewhere that this type of sound can be caused if someone has cleaned the engine as well. By the looks of it, I think someone has.

Found this video also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXej4PmypzA

Sounds like it could be the same thing right?
NO, that doesn't sound the same to me at all. What I hear on that other guy's u-tube sounds very much like alternator or other bearing (e.g. idler) noise. Yours didn't hit me that way at all. Maybe it's just the recording?

In any case, yes -- whatever it is, and it could still very well be a bearing just making a noise that's not quite what you normally hear, the dealer should be taking care of it under the normal 5/60 warranty. It sounds awful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks tons for your input. The wife is driving the car today, so hopefully it won't break down on her before we take it to the dealer first thing in the morning.
My buddy who used to be a mechanic listened to the video as well, and he said that it is definitely something on the accessory belt. He said that the engine itself (internals) sounded like it was running smooth. No knocking or anything.

·
Registered
51 Posts
it sounds like a over tensioned belt ( unlikely tho)..I would check the timing chain tensioners ( it can sound like that). Remove the alternator belt and accesory belt and start the engine like that for a few seconds..if it whins again then ...timing chain tensioners
My 2 cents

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright guys. Update. I brought the car into the dealership today, and they too initially thought it was the idle pulley. However, after looking at it they realized that it was the power steering pump that was loud. So they are fixing it under warranty and I will have the car back Monday. On a side note, they gave me a Genesis 4.6 as a loaner...Holy Sh#t! This thing i so nice and it flies!

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (joakim6945 @ Nov 20 2010, 08:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373477
Alright guys. Update. I brought the car into the dealership today, and they too initially thought it was the idle pulley. However, after looking at it they realized that it was the power steering pump that was loud. So they are fixing it under warranty and I will have the car back Monday. On a side note, they gave me a Genesis 4.6 as a loaner...Holy Sh#t! This thing i so nice and it flies!
A Genesis??? I'd make some snide comment about "You must be south of the Canadian border to get service like that", but I won't .. :grin:

Yes, a power steering pump I can believe. Just seemed way too loud and the wrong kind of sound to be an idler. Wonder why it failed?

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Wow! The nicest I've ever gotten was an Azera!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts