Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
just picked up a GLS AWD and notice that there is a ticking coming from the top of the engine, sounds like injectors or lifters but not sure . Hoping this is normal engine noise. I removed the engine cover and it seems to be directly in the middle rear, on top. Cant hear it unless the hood is openbut pretty audible when it is. Our last 04 Santa Feblew a engine (improperly installed timing belt) so I am a little paranoid. thanks.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
From how you describe it, probably normal noise. The next time you change oil go to 5W-30 and see if that helps.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hello,
just picked up a GLS AWD and notice that there is a ticking coming from the top of the engine, sounds like injectors or lifters but not sure . Hoping this is normal engine noise. I removed the engine cover and it seems to be directly in the middle rear, on top. Cant hear it unless the hood is openbut pretty audible when it is. Our last 04 Santa Feblew a engine (improperly installed timing belt) so I am a little paranoid. thanks.
What year, and what motor is it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What year, and what motor is it?
This is a 2013, 3.3l just purchased yesterday. Had 40 miles on the odo, now has about 250. Nearest dealer is not very close so don't want to take it in for somrthing trivial.

Drives great and loveit so far

·
Registered
622 Posts
This is a 2013, 3.3l just purchased yesterday. Had 40 miles on the odo, now has about 250. Nearest dealer is not very close so don't want to take it in for somrthing trivial.

Drives great and loveit so far
Possible it's just the GDI, they make some tap/ticking noises. Pull off the engine cover and see if it's coming from the high pressure fuel pump. It's the silver looking thing with a silver line going to it. If so, then that's normal, they ALL do it. GDI pump.gif

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Mine also has a ticking noise. I just attributed it to normal noise of the engine but will keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help! It is coming from the fuel regulator as Carmine showed. This part also has a foam cover which is probably for noise insulation. What a relief.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Direct injected motors tick, instead of 40 psi coming out of the fuel injector on a port injection, direct injection is around 2'000 psi. Same came be heard on diesel engines. Its perfectly normal.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
even my old 2004 accent sounds like its ticking. for some reason hyundai injectors are quite loud compared to others, they make a hard snapping sound.

considering you have the GDI i would expect it to be even louder than my old piece of crap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts