Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a gen 2 2018 i10 1.0L petrol/gasoline. A few questions:

• does it have manual tappets/lifters that need to be adjusted or are they self-adjusting?
  • how do I get the air filter out? It’s a different arrangement to the gen 1 videos I have seen on YouTube
  • which type of coolant should it have?

Thanks ;)

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai i20 SE Connect
177 Posts
1: Your car's valve gear is 'self adjusting'.

This link is to a downloadable UK/Australia Owners Manual for 2016 RHD i10 models and should be appropriate for your 2018 car.

2016 Hyundai i10 - Owner's Manual - RHD (UK, Australia) - PDF (414 Pages)

2: Guidance on replacing the air-cleaner filter is in Sections 7.20 and 7.21, while Sections 7.22 and 7.23 describe how to replace the 'pollen filter'.

3: For advice on the coolant refer to Sections 7.13 to 7.15 and to Section 8.6

·
Registered
177 Posts
In the i10 Owners Manual I gave a link to, the guidance about changing the air filter matches the procedure shown on this YouTube video

Playing the video seems to be a mite problematical, so I’ve attached below a photo showing the plastic cover that’s above the motor and needs to be removed to access the filter. It OUGHT to be a simple and quick task to replace the filter - just undo a couple of clips on the sides of the cover and loosen the screw visible by the cover’s bottom-right corner- but it’s evident from online adverts that there’s plenty of scope to end up with the wrong size and/or design of filter. The video suggests that the filter size will be (roughly) 355mm long x 108mm wide x 35mm deep, but this can be confirmed when the old filter has been removed.

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Car Hood Vehicle

·
Registered
i10 se 1litre manual 2017
20 Posts
The screw fastening may have got pushed round out of sight, once the clips are undone and the hose uncliped you need to lift the front of the filter and pull it forward to release the two slide in pins at the rear. If you look at the rear of the filter housing on the top you can see how it's located. Fooled me when I first checked my filter. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The screw fastening may have got pushed round out of sight, once the clips are undone and the hose uncliped you need to lift the front of the filter and pull it forward to release the two slide in pins at the rear. If you look at the rear of the filter housing on the top you can see how it's located. Fooled me when I first checked my filter. Hope this helps.
Brilliant, thanks Bobby Boy!

·
Registered
177 Posts
In an earlier posting ScotDoc said "...there are clips but loosening those isn’t enough to get to filter..." and the words "clips" and "those" strongly suggest that each side of his car's air filter box has a clip. (Besides which, if the right-side clip were missing and there were obvious damage, I'd expect him to have mentioned this.)

The 1st two attached images show a top view and a right-side view of an air filter box. The 3rd attached image is taken from ScotDoc's photo of his car's engine-compartment and I'm pretty sure the thing I've arrowed in green is the right-hand clip.

Rectangle Grey Font Gas Composite material

Hood Bumper Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle door Automotive lighting

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I have taken some actual photos. Sorry but I threw you a bit of a red herring unintentionally with the original photos, which I thought were the same as my car. My air box is different! There's no clip missing on battery side, only one clip on the air intake side. How do I open this? Cheers folks

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Black Grille

Hood World Motor vehicle City Automotive design

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Trunk Bumper

Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
177 Posts
Your images apparently relate to Hyundai Part Number 28110-B9500 and I refer you to the ebay advert on the following link that carries several photos of this air filter box.

HYUNDAI i10 2019 MK2 1.0 PETROL ENGINE AIR FILTER COVER 28110-B9500 | eBay

Based on the advert photos, it looks like changing the air filter 'cartridge' does not require removal of the air filter box.

If you undo the two clips on the left-hand side, (hopefully!) you should then be able to detach the 'trunking' (arrowed in red in the 1st photo I have attached below) and this should allow enough access to the filter cartridge itself (arrowed in green on the 2nd photo below) for the cartridge to be withdrawn from the air filter box (as shown in the 3rd photo from another advert).

I can't find any online information about replacing this 'cylindrical' air filter cartridge and none of the Hyundai Owner's Manuals I've looked (in multiple languages!) include guidance. The air filter box/cylindrical cartridge seems to be peculiar to petrol-fuelled 1.0litre i10 models built during 2016-2018 and there are several examples of the cartridge here.

Air Filters for 2018 for Hyundai i10 for sale | eBay

There is a K&N cylindrical filter cartridge marketed for this i10 model and the K&N advert for that (expensive) cartridge suggests that the replacement task should take 5-10 minutes. So replacement should be a simple procedure.

The Hyundai OEM Part Number for the filter cartridge is 28113-B9500 and I notice that it was discussed in this 2019 forum thread.

Cannot find replacement air filter

A GOOGLE search on "28113-B9500" will identify plenty of online suppliers and a wide range of asking-prices.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Wood Tool
Automotive tire Orange Lifebuoy Headgear Audio equipment
Musical instrument Gas Auto part Composite material Cylinder

·
Registered
177 Posts
A follow-up...

The 1st photo below is copied from the 2019 forum thread I mentioned above. It suggests that the 'trunking' that attaches to the air-filter box's rear left corner can be removed allowing access to the filter cartridge without having to remove the air-filter box.

This link is to another ebay advert for the air-filter box.

HYUNDAI I10 AIR CLEANER FILTER BOX G3LA-6 1.0L Petrol 28110B9500 14-21 | eBay

The 2nd photo below shows the two clips that hold the end of the trunking that connects to the air-filter box.

The 3rd photo is of the underside of the air-filter box. It seems that the box is held on to the motor via three rubber grommets (arrowed in green) that will fit over studs on the motor's top, plus there's a rubber seal inside the box's downwards extension (arrowed in red). So, if the air-filter box does need to be removed, it will just need to be pulled firmly upwards so that the grommets and seal detach.

Engineering Gas Auto part Composite material Technology
Umbrella Cap Headgear Automotive lighting Hood
Gas Font Machine Electronic device Auto part

·
Registered
177 Posts
The attached photo of a K 1.0 litre motor shows the 3 studs (arrowed in red) on to which the air-filter box is mounted.

The 3 green arrows point to the ignition-coil packs that need to be removed to gain access to the spark plugs. The plugs themselves are buried well down and a suitable tool will be required to reach them, extract them and insert the replacement plugs. Extreme care should be taken when inserting the new plugs as cross-threading a plug in the cylinder head is likely to be a costly mistake to make.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motorcycle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you. Air box came off perfectly thanks to your advice.

Job all done, removed with Teng spark plug socket, long extension and replaced with Bosch dual iridium plugs, hand tightened to avoid cross-threading then torqued to 23Nm (as per Bosch spec). Gap not changed (they arrived with 1mm gap, which was same as old plugs removed (they had only done 2800 miles but car 4 years old now, so I changed them as I don't want a seized spark plug! Peace of mind worth it for £25). Test drive revealed definitely smoother at idle, and less hesitant on acceleration, so they will probably pay for themselves with better fuel consumption.

It's a cracking little car this. Apple Car Play, alloy wheels, privacy glass and electric windows all round. Had it 8 months now and couldn't be happier with it.

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The old plugs look almost new. They should last at least 40k for standard. 60k for iridium.
True, but handbook says replace by age at 5 years (so I'm a year early). Not worth risking a broken plug if they get rusted in. Better fuel consumption should pay for the £25 cost too. When you're saving money doing it yourself, it's a no-brainer.

·
Registered
i10 1.0L SE Manual, 2017. Polar White, Centre Console, Bodyside Mouldings.
60 Posts
True, but handbook says replace by age at 5 years (so I'm a year early). Not worth risking a broken plug if they get rusted in. Better fuel consumption should pay for the £25 cost too. When you're saving money doing it yourself, it's a no-brainer.
Agree to DIY, but plugs these days last much much longer than they used to. The manufacturer guidelines are…..well, a guide. Worth checking them though once in a while. 👍

1 - 20 of 24 Posts