Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had the pleasure of purchasing a new 2013 limited with the sunroof that is designed to leak (according to my service writer and Hyundai Canada customer service) ?

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
No sunroof is perfectly sealed. Under high pressure water will get past the seal and will be drained through the drain trough. However, if water is getting into the passenger compartment then there is a problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what you would think however had it at the dealership 4 times now with video showing a steady drip in a mild rain as well as water drops on the passenger seat while washing with the garden hose. Called customer service today as well stating that they are designed to leak even after the dealer went into they yard and check a number of new cars all found dry

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Absolutely unacceptable!

Never have I had a leak inside the car and I live in Florida!!!!!!!!

It has rained so hard here that my house roof has leaked but never my sunroof inside the car!

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
now when we take it in we say "it needs adjusting, as it leaks MORE THEN IT SHOULD!"
and service will jump right on it
lol
i googled this briefly and it is designed into other cars as well,
I haven't found a reason why.... yet?

·
Registered
726 Posts
More reason that I'll never own another vehicle with a sunroof even though my 240sx and cavalier never leaked.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
That is what you would think however had it at the dealership 4 times now with video showing a steady drip in a mild rain as well as water drops on the passenger seat while washing with the garden hose. Called customer service today as well stating that they are designed to leak even after the dealer went into they yard and check a number of new cars all found dry
It sounds like a drain tube is blocked or the sunroof glass is not adjusted properly. I have seen mine drip from the seal during a driving rain with the shade open but never has it filled a drain channel to the point of over filling. If a drain tube is blocked with debris or is kinked somewhere or if the glass is so badly adjusted that it is letting in to much water then I can see this happening but all these can be diagnosed and repaired by a dealer. (LOL)

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
My 2012 leaks when it rains - the roof liner has never gotten wet though! Went out and got the dougle sided tape (the one used for the spoiler) and taped it aroung the sun roof opening. Naturally, don't take the thin tape off the side that hits the eun roof seal. It works like a charm.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The sunroof on my car doesn't "look" flush with the rest of the roof, but I've never noticed it leaking. 2013 limited turbo

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I had to have my sunroof adjusted due to squeaking, but never had a problem with it leaking into the car. Before it was adjusted I did see a few drops of rain come in the one corner, but they were always caught and never made it to the fabric.

·
Registered
486 Posts
That is what you would think however had it at the dealership 4 times now with video showing a steady drip in a mild rain as well as water drops on the passenger seat while washing with the garden hose.
Called customer service today as well stating that they are designed to leak even after the dealer went into they yard and check a number of new cars all found dry
Ordinarily I'd consider this an April Fool's post as "they're designed to leak" from 800-Sppt is (you have to admit) too bizarre to normally be believed.

What has the Dealer told you at the 4 visits (ie) leaks are part of life; it does Not leak; Cannot Find the leak; etc.???

What is your next step? You obviously need to go higher Both at the Dealer And Hyundai - AND Your Video is Powerful Leverage. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I wonder what % of cars these days are actually manufactured WITHOUT a sunroof - seems like they are the minority these days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ordinarily I'd consider this an April Fool's post as "they're designed to leak" from 800-Sppt is (you have to admit) too bizarre to normally be believed.

What has the Dealer told you at the 4 visits (ie) leaks are part of life; it does Not leak; Cannot Find the leak; etc.???

What is your next step? You obviously need to go higher Both at the Dealer And Hyundai - AND Your Video is Powerful Leverage. Good Luck!!
first visit was for a creek no leak second visit was for wind noise no leak third visit was for rear right corner about 4 inches with a steady drip in a lite rain 4 forth visit was for so much water in rear right corner that it over flows the drain channel before is able to drain from garden hose washing car in driveway I was told by dealer that in there word's that a car with a sun roof is designed to leak called customer service and was told the same .it is my opinion that a sunroof has a drip tray in the event that a small amount of water happens to get by the seal not that they are designed to do so

1 - 20 of 21 Posts