Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 576 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
You got a great deal on the fully-loaded SFS! Nice job. Having all of the options myself, I have to say it really propels the SFS into another league of luxury Enjoy!

·
Registered
474 Posts
'Splain to me about the Dip It thing. I have used it on tools and even on a tool I invented to the G.I.Carbine but never on a car. Is it safe to assume that you are using a spray and NOT the can of liquid?

·
Registered
27 Posts
'Splain to me about the Dip It thing. I have used it on tools and even on a tool I invented to the G.I.Carbine but never on a car. Is it safe to assume that you are using a spray and NOT the can of liquid?
Its an aerosol can that sprays a liquid form of rubber that's like paint. When dried and after a few coats. Its like a rubber glove/latex material. Look at some of these videos.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/pages.php?pageid=8

·
Registered
1 Posts
LOVE my new Sante Fe Sport!

Just replaced my old sante fe with a 2013 sante fe sport. This car is amazing. All I really wanted was a sunroof and heated seats. The package that offered those however is amazing. It's got every toy you can imagine. Everytime I think of something I hoped I could do (that I could NOT do on my old car)...the new one does it seamlessly. For example I was hoping to play Pandora through the stereo. XM is nice but it's not worth the money to me. I plugged my iphone into the usb on the car and it works perfectly.
The HUGE sunroof is awesome. We have a lot of lake effect here...meaning cloudy days..... so sun is always welcome. The interior and the ride are so nice, quite and smooth. The only thing I'm a little concerned about is the mileage. It's supposed to average 24 mpg and so far is showing around 21.4. It's only got 100 miles on it. I don't know if that makes a difference after its broken in. Anyone out there know?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Crafter Girl. I feel the same way. I just replaced my 2011 Sonata SE with a black 2013 Santa Fe 2.0T. Amazing vehicle. First fill up I averaged 24.8 on the dash with eco on. I filled up with Shell V-Power 87and turned eco off. Will see if that makes a difference. Then I will try Shell 89. There has been alot posted here about in dash mileage and manually figured mileage. Which method did you use? I am also going to experiment/post about the use of synthetic oil, higher quality spark plugs, and maybe aftermarket air filters such as K&N as to how these products may possibly increase mileage. Welcome to the forums. I'm a newbie too. :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
We are pushing just 1800 miles over the last 3 months with our 2.0T. The MPG is slowly, key word is slowly, moving up as the miles tick by. ANY engine is "tight" when its new and must be broken in. The manual says to "baby" it for 600 miles. I give mine a bit more. The first recommended oil change is 3000 miles for the turbo engine. I'll be switching over to Mobil 1 5W-30, MY favorite. Others will have theirs, it all good.
I have found I get/got better mpg using the 89 (middle grade) gas on my last 5 or 6 cars over the years. Same with the turbo. I have tried only two brands, Shell, which I use the most, and Exxon. Don't see much difference.
Crafter girl, go get signed up with Fuely so we can follow along with you on the mpg.
I'll go start a thread on NON-ethanol gas. I'm going to try that one next.

·
Banned
730 Posts
Hi Crafter Girl. I feel the same way. I just replaced my 2011 Sonata SE with a black 2013 Santa Fe 2.0T. Amazing vehicle. First fill up I averaged 24.8 on the dash with eco on. I filled up with Shell V-Power 87and turned eco off. Will see if that makes a difference. Then I will try Shell 89. There has been alot posted here about in dash mileage and manually figured mileage. Which method did you use? I am also going to experiment/post about the use of synthetic oil, higher quality spark plugs, and maybe aftermarket air filters such as K&N as to how these products may possibly increase mileage. Welcome to the forums. I'm a newbie too. :)
First off.....:00000732:
Secondly, if we are going to go into the mpg issue there is a sticky at the top of this forum covering the subject in depth, but you probably already knew that.

Third.. You will find that changing to synthetic, different spark plugs, etc etc will have very minimal effect on your mpg. I especially would not use a K&N filter. Too much oil on it and it screws up your intake and MAF. Too little oil and it does not filter properly. Do you want to mess with that? I had one in my Dodge Truck once and after futzing with it for a while I decided there was no significant improvement in mileage and took it out and threw it in the trash.
Keep this in mind..... What will all the "improvements" that you are thinking about doing cost you? The K&N is $55 plus the oil kit. Spark plugs...They can be costly depending on brand and platinum etc. Higher octane gas is an ongoing expense. I would be surprised if you seen a 2 mpg improvement.
If you drive 10,000 miles you will burn 416 gallons at 24mpg. Increase that to 26 mpg and you burn 384 gallons for a difference of 32 gallons or $112 at $3.50 a gallon.

You seem like an intelligent person but just thought I would share some of my thoughts.

Terrain, driving style and break-in time will have a much greater mpg impact. I went from 22.5-23mpg avg starting in January to 25+mpg per tank now that we have over 7000 miles on our SF and the weather has warmed up.

Just some thoughts..

·
Registered
474 Posts
JRM2013 what is fuely?

First I need to remember how to spell it. Here is the link:
http://www.fuelly.com

If you click on the pic at the bottom of my post here you can get there also, and see my input. You can set up your own account and keep track of your mpg.

7milesup, I think most of the new folks see it but it has grown so big they get lost in it. They can start posting there once they get use to this site maybe. :)

·
Banned
730 Posts
JRM2013 what is fuely?

Here is a little "how to" I wrote up....

1.) Go to Fuelly and log in. Select your vehicle. At the bottom of your page below "fillups" is a yellow "badge" symbol. Click on that.
2.) There will be 4 boxes that have "code" in them. Choose large or small banner (mine is large) and then choose the "BBCode" one.
3.) Select all of the code in the box with left mouse button.
4.) Right mouse button click "copy".
5.) Log in to SF forums and go to "UserCP"
6.) Under "Settings and Options" select "Edit Signature".
7.) Right click mouse in the blank box and select "paste".
8.) Select "Save Signature" at the bottom.

That should do it.

·
Registered
884 Posts
7milesup, I think most of the new folks see it but it has grown so big they get lost in it. They can start posting there once they get use to this site maybe. :)
What`s the point of doing that?

The MPG sticky thread is there for a reason, and there`s a load of great info there, especially for a 'newbie'....Reporting and discussion of MPG belong on that thread..

That are too many 'duplicate' threads already...

·
Registered
474 Posts
What`s the point of doing that?

The MPG sticky thread is there for a reason, and there`s a load of great info there, especially for a 'newbie'....Reporting and discussion of MPG belong on that thread..

That are too many 'duplicate' threads already...
You know, I knew someone would point out that there are too many threads on this web site. You are absolutely right, as usual. And here I started an brand new one on the use of "NON-ethanol gas" I wanted opinions on. I'll bet it is buried in that big old MPG thread you are talking about. I looked once but not deep enough I guess.
I'll go delete that new question I posted before it causes you mods any more heart burn and try another web site some place.
Thanks for pointing that out to me, Cheers.
Oh, and Cheers! :D

·
Registered
884 Posts
You know, I knew someone would point out that there are too many threads on this web site. You are absolutely right, as usual. And here I started an brand new one on the use of "NON-ethanol gas" I wanted opinions on. I'll bet it is buried in that big old MPG thread you are talking about. I looked once but not deep enough I guess.
I'll go delete that new question I posted before it causes you mods any more heart burn and try another web site some place.
Thanks for pointing that out to me, Cheers.
Oh, and Cheers! :D
Well, I was a bit confused when you said: "they can start posting there once they get used to to this site"...

Almost sounded like they 'had to cut their teeth' on this thread (about MPG) and then they can 'graduate' to the 'big' thread about MPG...LOL..

I don`t recall any conversations about non-ethanol gas on that thread, so I was looking forward to any comments about it on the new thread you started...

Maybe you`ll get some good input from folks about that subject...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Guys, I know all about the mpg sticky. Read through most all of it. I was just replying to the op about my first fill up.;) All posts concerning mpg will be in the sticky. Have a question. Can you open your liftgate from your key fob? I press the button and nothing happens. Dealer said its normal because I don't have a power liftgate. Then why even have the button. Seems a little odd. My Sonata had the same thing and the trunk would open a few inches.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Can you open your liftgate from your key fob? I press the button and nothing happens. Dealer said its normal because I don't have a power liftgate. Then why even have the button. Seems a little odd. My Sonata had the same thing and the trunk would open a few inches.
No I can't. I really wanted the power lift gate option, but Hyundai USA doesn't offer it.

I didn't realize the option on the key fob until your post. Now that really annoys me. I have a non functional power lift gate button. :mad:
John

·
Banned
730 Posts
No I can't. I really wanted the power lift gate option, but Hyundai USA doesn't offer it.

I didn't realize the option on the key fob until your post. Now that really annoys me. I have a non functional power lift gate button. :mad:
John

Well...not really John.

Try this out... Lock your SF with the key FOB and walk a ways away (more than 40" but preferable 10-15 feet). Press and hold the tailgate button until the lights flash. Put the FOB down (not on your person is what I am saying here) and walk up to your SF. The liftgate should now be unlocked and be able to be opened, but if you check the doors they will still be locked.

Now, why you would do this is a little bit of a head-scratcher. I'm thinking I can be standing on my front porch and unlock the tailgate, and watch the wife unload the groceries while it is raining... Orrrrr..... maybe not. ^_^

21 - 40 of 576 Posts