Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone had any success getting them to reimburse the coupling replacement when you already over 100k miles. I had the work done at a Hyundai dealership.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I got mine replaced a few weeks ago. I didn't get the steering wheel noise while turning (did feel something slight if I was moving it while stopped)- but the steering wheel made a loud rattling sound while going over bumps.

I asked how frequent it was and they pulled out a demo in a box. With the SA saying, "this is what it probably looks like and the one next to it is what it's supposed to look like". If they have a demo box, I assume it's really common.

I didn't even need to wait for a diagnosis. They just went ahead and replaced it. Really bad...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Mine just started making the rattling sound again. Seems like fourth time might be a charm? This was the third replacement. Should be covered under extended warranty.

·
Registered
202 Posts
What will it be next? I have never seen a car with this many recalls and extensions. This is my 3rd Hyundai/Kia and the other two didn't have nearly this many issues.

The prior owner had the original recall done for the steering coupler. How will I know if I need it again?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't care about the warranty really. I replaced mine at 12,000 miles in my own driveway and it is such an easy fix that would probably just do it myself again instead of going thru all the BS at the dealership.
dealerships will not sell the consumer a recalled part. So i would say you bought the same failed part from the dealership which will fail again and probably crash you car... good job

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
dealerships will not sell the consumer a recalled part. So i would say you bought the same failed part from the dealership which will fail again and probably crash you car... good job
I'm not sure WHERE you're coming from...you get the same part (reformulation of material) that the dealer installs...and it's about $1.75! This is a nuisance noise...not a safety issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've seen a videos of the clunk/click noise, and my 2013 GLS isn't making that. But I am noticing a regular (but not consistent) "chunkiness" in my steering, ususally when making very small corrections at low speed or high speed. Hard to describe, but feels like the steering col has to overcome some very resistance before moving. I put new tires on in Dec, and I noticed a ball joint was going bad and replaced it last week, but I still feel it. Is this maybe a mild case of the coupler deteriorating? I'm at 95K and am going in next week to get the manifold check done. Should I insist they take it apart and check?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Hard to describe, but feels like the steering col has to overcome some very resistance before moving.
This sounds like the coupler as a small degree of non-assist is encountered.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts