Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEW Extended Warranty for (MDPS) Rubber Coupling clicking thud noise,Elantra & Sonata

Great news, Hyundai is now covering the famous steering knock/click noise while turning the steering wheel under Extended Warranty for 2007-2015 Elantra Sendans, 2009-2012 Elantra Touring, 2011-2014 Sonata & 2011-2015 Hybrid Sonatas to 10 years/100,000 miles. Go to

https://autoservice.hyundaiusa.com/campaignhome
and check your vin for coverage and to check for open campaigns/recalls. Also note if you click on the lower bar ( closed Campaigns) it will give you all the service campaigns that your car has had done. At the upper of page you can click on tab to make a reimbursement claim if you already paid for this repair.
So all you guys that have paid for this repair get going and get your refund Now! :smile:

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Looks like mine is not included.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Hyundai owners get the short end of the stick. Kia extended the warranty to 10 years/unlimited miles.

Since my first coupler was replaced at 35k miles, I assume I'll need to have it done again eventually... then again, my ten years will likely be up before I hit 70k miles.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't care about the warranty really. I replaced mine at 12,000 miles in my own driveway and it is such an easy fix that would probably just do it myself again instead of going thru all the BS at the dealership.

·
Registered
184 Posts
With all the recalls and warranty extensions maybe they can just do a 10/120,000 B2B warranty and that will just about fix everything.

·
Registered
408 Posts
As I understand it, the new coupler is made from a better material than the original, thus it may not really need replacing in the future. And it's very cheap regardless (like under $5).

I had mine done under the free warranty replacement by my request. Dealer worked me in and had it done in less than two hours.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I paid $270 to get it done at another shop. I have an invoice and all. Do you guys know if Hyundai will be able to reimburse me the cost?

Sorry I misread. I think my car just barely was over 100,000 miles at the time of repair

·
Registered
83 Posts
I paid $270 to get it done at another shop. I have an invoice and all. Do you guys know if Hyundai will be able to reimburse me the cost?

Sorry I misread. I think my car just barely was over 100,000 miles at the time of repair
For what it's worth, the warranty was extended to 120,000 miles but, I think you'd have to have had the work done at the dealer. It's worth a try to get a refund if you really wanted it, the worst that can happen is they say no.

On a side note, looks like mine is covered as well. Looks like the extended warranty went into effect on Febuary 27th. Better late than never, I guess.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Will they repair this without charging for a diagnosis? It's obvious that mine is majorly messed up.
I just had this done under warranty. Brought the service rep out to the car and let her feel the steering wheel as she turned the wheel side to side. She just said they would have to check.

There was no diagnosis charge for the repair.

·
Registered
228 Posts
In case anyone from Canada is wondering about this warranty, nope. Called two dealers and they get calls about it but your on your own with Hyundai Canada.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I submitted a request for reimbursement about 70 days ago. The dealer repaired my coupling when the car had mileage of about 130,000 (a 2010 car that gets driven 105 miles per day). I'm expecting Hyundai to reject my reimbursement request but I know with certainty (can't prove it, though) that the coupling failed way before 100,000 miles and I just ignored it until I learned that the whole steering column may need replacement if I ignored it too long. We'll see if Hyundai gives me a refund or not. The current status online says "Case Manager Actively Processing Claim" so I hope they call me so I can plead my case.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in Australia and have a 2011 Elantra. Have been told the coupler needs replacing but have been quoted 4 hours labour (at $130 per hour) to do it!
Chasing Hyundai Australia for courtesy replacement before going ahead. Is there a significant difference between US and Australian models (other than RH drive which COULD complicate things a little possibly).

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am in Australia and have a 2011 Elantra. Have been told the coupler needs replacing but have been quoted 4 hours labour (at $130 per hour) to do it!
Chasing Hyundai Australia for courtesy replacement before going ahead. Is there a significant difference between US and Australian models (other than RH drive which COULD complicate things a little possibly).
Four hours??? You can do it yourself in under an hour. Maybe it's because your steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car. :laugh:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I checked mime from that website and my VIN does not include this recall. Nevertheless, I replaced this last year all by myself. It was a $3.00 part which I purchased from a Kia dealer. I even replaced both tie rod ends and the noise seemed to went away. I am at 139,300 kms. as of this date.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I checked mime from that website and my VIN does not include this recall. Nevertheless, I replaced this last year all by myself. It was a $3.00 part which I purchased from a Kia dealer. I even replaced both tie rod ends and the noise seemed to went away. I am at 139,300 kms. as of this date.
It's not a recall, just a repair if needed.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts