Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 sonata is getting a new engine. A couple months ago I notice oil level was low so I added some. Checked it again in 2 weeks again was low. Took to dealer who preformed oil consumption test. Well, it failed. I was surprised after 127,000 miles they would still replace for I’m assuming no cost? I’m sure they are going to add other items they say need repaired at my cost. Do I have to do extra repairs??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I’m assuming because he never really told me I was responsible yet??
Anyone have same issue? How does it work? Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
Mine had 113k and the head started knocking. It's a silent recall, they will give you a rental for how ever long it takes for them to do it. Over a month for me, motor had to come from Korea. They will replace head and block and turbo if they inspect it and find metal shavings. My turbo was good, I would suggest to pay for new belts to be put on while they have it all off. May have to pay for the belt.

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
Supposed to be up to 120k but I've heard a lady get one for free at 187k

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
The recently settled a suite...it is the same as Kia now, 10yrs/200k warranty.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Anyone else getting the turbo whining noise at cold crank and stop at RPM drop?
Didn't do that before motor replacement.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Anyone else getting the turbo whining noise at cold crank and stop at RPM drop?
Didn't do that before motor replacement.

Maybe you can provide a little more info as the turbo doesn't spin, or is at least not to spin when starting, in fact, the wastegate is wide open on cold start and exhaust bypasses the turbo.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Maybe the dealership service rep messed with the wastegate during installation and mat not be functioning properly?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine had 113k and the head started knocking. It's a silent recall, they will give you a rental for how ever long it takes for them to do it. Over a month for me, motor had to come from Korea. They will replace head and block and turbo if they inspect it and find metal shavings. My turbo was good, I would suggest to pay for new belts to be put on while they have it all off. May have to pay for the belt.

What does a head knocking sound like? Mine is 2016 Sonata SE. Been having issues with what I originally thought was a bad coil. Look at my thread Please Help for addt'l info if you want. Just left Hyundai. Was supposed to be getting a free full diagnostic, due to a customer service issue I had while getting the knock sensor update. They can't tell me anything without being able to duplicate my issue - which I don't understand. But I've heard a knocking in my engine for quite some time. I don't know what it is.

·
Registered
71 Posts
same situation as you not long ago...127k but said no cost to me!!! they took care of 100% and only too a couple of days to do the replacement and no problems since I got it back....(they did it right- I was suprised no call back issues)

·
Registered
169 Posts
So far so good for me I thought it was cool that they put in new spark plugs as well. I was about to purchase some

·
Registered
169 Posts
Another member John on this form said that there was a break-in period. I think I've reached it because this thing pulls good.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had my engine replaced at 142K miles after the OCT showed I was burning a little over 2qt of oil every 1000 miles. New engine has been great so far after a few other 'interesting' issues (oil leak from new engine required Hyundai Techline approved fix to make sure the pan was sealed tightly, and having to get the motor and transmission mounts replaced after the new engine because the originals were worn...wish they had determined that BEFORE getting the car back, but Hyundai was good about resolving the issue).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts