Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read of people getting new ones. Turns out mine will be change. Should I expect the same problem again or are this new engines cleaner from factory? Anybody can share their experience from a car that has a new engine. How it is going so far.. Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah.. I mean this is probably lower chance but still. Just want to know if some of you fellow forum members may know or heard of things about the issue. And yes people have won the lottery twice and even more.. Rare the occasions but yeah.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The 2.0T on my 2014 Sonata SE hatched at about 17,000 miles. The replacement was re-manufactured. I put over 31,000, relatively hard miles, on it before my lease was up. The 2nd engine ran strong and was fine when I turned it in. I would've bought out the lease, but decided to go with a Certified 2013 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 2.0T with less than half the miles (and twice the smiles!!).

I did enjoy the 2014 SE while I had it. My wife has a 2015 Sonata 2.0T Sport with nearly 30k trouble free miles. We will likely replace it with a 2018 Sonata 2.0T Sport when her lease is up this summer.

ominousone

·
Registered
355 Posts
I would assume the new engines have been inspected for debris in the lower block.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I would assume the rebuilt blocks have been thoroughly gone through, washed, inspected, etc. In all probability, these replacement engines will be better than the originals as whatever caused all the failures is understood by Hyundai (even if the true cause has not been publicized) and corrected in these rebuilds. If a mistake is made and corrected, forgiveness is expected. But to repeat the same mistake again is not so easy to forgive.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If less than 1% of regular production engines are prone to premature failure, what is the probability an owner suffering such a failure on the original engine will suffer the same failure on a replacement engine, also taken off the line from regular production? Is that probability worth taking additional steps to reduce the less than 1% failure rate?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would assume the rebuilt blocks have been thoroughly gone through, washed, inspected, etc. In all probability, these replacement engines will be better than the originals as whatever caused all the failures is understood by Hyundai (even if the true cause has not been publicized) and corrected in these rebuilds. If a mistake is made and corrected, forgiveness is expected. But to repeat the same mistake again is not so easy to forgive.
I must agree. Also, I had the LAP3 91 Octane tune with the HKS colder plugs in for nearly the whole time on the 2nd engine. I also had a DP and mid-pipe with HF cat and resonator. Like I said, it made over 31k miles on the second engine before I turned in the lease. Obviously I have no way to know how it's doing now, a year after I turned it in.

ominousone

1 - 8 of 8 Posts