Hyundai Forums banner

New Engine - New Maintenance

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  hg3300 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, fellow Hyundai-ers.

I just rec’d a new engine for my ‘13 GLS @ 95,750 miles.

I was planning on doing things a little differently this time, and I wanted your advice/perspective.

Before, I treated it very well, perhaps even lavishly, from shorter OCIs with 5-20 synthetic to occasional induction service.

Then, the thing up and started to die due to mechanical failure.

So, I am thinking of keeping to simply bare minimum per owner’s manual under Normal schedule, on-sale dino oil, 7,500 OCI, and no extra frills.

I would love to see if indeed the engine is any worse for wear after the next 95,750 miles.

What are your thoughts?

#4 ·
No one's talking about what the "flaw" is in this engine! Millions of cars will go on without a hitch...others will die early in their lives. Personally, I will opt for better protection...and checking the oil level once a week.

#5 ·
My engine’s flaw had to do with a cylinder losing compression and losing oil. I do not think it’s related yo the flaw that kills peoples cars. I check my oil every other oil change.

I just checked it today, and it looks fine. In fact, the oil looked clear, not colored at all as I’d been used to before with my old engine.

#6 ·
My engine’s flaw had to do with a cylinder losing compression and losing oil. I do not think it’s related yo the flaw that kills peoples cars. I check my oil every other oil change.
According to the whistleblower (written in Korean) there is cylinder distortion (over-heating) of #2 and might be what you are describing with your old block.

Reactions: MO Knight
#9 ·
I had radiator fan failure, overheated, but still haven't kill the engine. How much does it take to distort the cylinder?

Skip the 5w20 and use a 5w30 or 10w30.

Whether the issue is resolved is unknown. Some of us will blame Hyundai forever. Others will blame consumers that never change their oil, never top off their oil, and use bulk cheap mud oil along with generic no name filters when/if they ever change it. I see it as a combination of a short fuse and clueless owners.

Reactions: MO Knight
#13 ·
I had radiator fan failure, overheated, but still haven't kill the engine. How much does it take to distort the cylinder?

Skip the 5w20 and use a 5w30 or 10w30.

Whether the issue is resolved is unknown. Some of us will blame Hyundai forever. Others will blame consumers that never change their oil, never top off their oil, and use bulk cheap mud oil along with generic no name filters when/if they ever change it. I see it as a combination of a short fuse and clueless owners.
Will do. I live near St. Louis, so it’s not like it gets that cold here. :)

#12 ·
I did notice after engine replacement that the new engine had new spark plugs as well. They are ngk iridium plugs. I had new plugs I was going to put in but then the engine problems started. So after engine replacement I went to do them but found it had new plugs already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine came with plugs too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.