Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

So as some of you might remember I got my new Elantra "Violet" this week. I have a few questions about it if you all don't mind me asking. When I started it up this morning I heard a sort of engine whine it only lasted for about 2-3 seconds though and then went away. I've done some previous reading on here and I guess it's "Normal"? Or has there been a fix for this?

The only other issue I have which might not be an issue at all but I noticed at the bottom of my doors on the outer part of the rocker panels there seems to be water collecting there when I open the doors. Nothing major, but I'm thinking that if it rains a lot or during the winter with the snow if any of that paint chips it could lead to serious rust issues. I really never noticed any water on the bottom of that door lip on my previous car. Then again, it was gray and it never showed much in the way of water droplets and dirt.

Other than that I love this car!!! But keeping it clean seems to be a daily chore haha..

·
22,788 Posts
Whine is normal. Both my Elantras had/have it. Heard it this morning! I love it...think of it as the afterburner in a F-16's jet turbine warming up. ;)

Both have had water on the exterior rocker panels. I notice it every time I give Ingrid her weekend shampoo. Also normal. Wouldn't stress one second over it. Door seals protect the interior. And the same gap that allows water in also allows air in which blows away and drys the area. Even if you don't drive it, it's still a "non-issue." If you're becoming OCD like the rest of us, you can take a microfiber cloth and wipe it dry. Don't ask why I know this!!! ;)

It would be difficult for that area to get a chip in the paint, unless you're wearing metal golf spikes when entering and exiting the vehicle. Even then, you'd have to scratch it with your soles/heels. Doubt that will ever happen.

Keeping it clean isn't a chore. It's an act of pride, kindness, and compassion. Enjoy your new found love!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whine is normal. Both my Elantras had/have it. Heard it this morning! I love it...think of it as the afterburner in a F-16's jet turbine warming up. ;)

Both have had water on the exterior rocker panels. I notice it every time I give Ingrid her weekend shampoo. Also normal. Wouldn't stress one second over it. Door seals protect the interior. And the same gap that allows water in also allows air in which blows away and drys the area. Even if you don't drive it, it's still a "non-issue." If you're becoming OCD like the rest of us, you can take a microfiber cloth and wipe it dry. Don't ask why I know this!!! ;)

It would be difficult for that area to get a chip in the paint, unless you're wearing metal golf spikes when entering and exiting the vehicle. Even then, you'd have to scratch it with your soles/heels. Doubt that will ever happen.

Keeping it clean isn't a chore. It's an act of pride, kindness, and compassion. Enjoy your new found love!

Haha thanks Rich!.. I know exactly what you mean about taking the car washes as an act of pride and kindness.. I gave Violet a home wash two days ago and I felt so proud of her after it was done LOL..

Yea after I washed her I took a microfiber towel to those door sills as I noticed the water there after.. I just don't really want to do it every time it rains or snows. But yea, thanks for putting me at ease with those minor issues..

Can't wait to give Violet her next bath in a week or so :p

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
All of my past vehicles had these water droplets after a hard rain or a high pressure rinse. Just wipe and go, or if not they will dry. With this car The frequent washing syndrome lasted about 6 months for me. Now I chase a 2 year old around and do an occasional hand wash and wax then just spray and go or brushless car wash to hold me over. Thankfully titanium gray hides the grime well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
304 Posts
Now that I think about it, that whine noise is gone! Hope there isn't something wrong with mine! lol

Car is 5 months old now and no noise.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
There's a whole thread on it somewhere. We've all heard it occasionally, and my wife asked me about it with her GT recently. Like Rich said, it's just the car getting ready to rocket away. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All of my past vehicles had these water droplets after a hard rain or a high pressure rinse. Just wipe and go, or if not they will dry. With this car The frequent washing syndrome lasted about 6 months for me. Now I chase a 2 year old around and do an occasional hand wash and wax then just spray and go or brushless car wash to hold me over. Thankfully titanium gray hides the grime well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
My indigo midnight colour might as well be black.. Wash it and 10 minutes later it's dirty again :D The water below the door dried over a few hours "on a rainy day" but now I get the dirty water spots "can't win" lol.. I'm sure over time I'll just learn to live with a bit of dirt and then wash and wax it every week or two.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's a whole thread on it somewhere. We've all heard it occasionally, and my wife asked me about it with her GT recently. Like Rich said, it's just the car getting ready to rocket away. :)
Lol I like that theory, it puts my mind more at ease... I'll just assume it's the oil running through the engine or something like that and then once everything is lubed it stops.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The whine is normal according to two hyundai service reps. I read comments on some tube video that the whine is the "silent" timing chain tensioner. It rattles until it gets enough oil. Some Australian dealership drilled larger holes in the timing chain cover and that solved the problem. You got a 100k warranty so I wouldn't worry.

Speaking of F16, have you ever heard a F/A 18 startup? It has the same whine as our E's. You can hear it at :32 and 2nd engine at 1:28. This is also normalfor the 18.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Whine here as well. Good to hear it's normal. Congrats on the car too! It's a very nice car to drive. Plus awesome interior lighting imo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts