Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I hope I am posting in the right sub-forum... What is the difference between the MD Elantra and the GD Elantra? They both cover the 2013 model year (at least that is how it appears on the sub-forum list).

Second, I bought a GLS, with the preferred package (I think that is what it's called). A friend of mine paid $18,800 out the door just two months ago, but they wouldn't go below 19,300 out the door for me. Also, I was a little upset that they wouldn't give me the 0% financing rate, even though we certainly qualified and have excellent credit rating. They said we could only have one or the other...either the $1500 incentive discount or the 0% financing. I seem to recall that when I bought my 2011 Sonata (from the same dealership a couple years ago) they gave me all the incentives AND the advertised interest rate. Anyway, despite the lack of the advertised 0% rate, I am pretty happy and I like the car so far.

My wife ONLY wanted the red/maroon (ruby?) color. We've checked this dealership twice in the past two months and they have never had a ruby color model. All they ever seem to have is a ton of silver and grey models, one or two of the light blues and maybe a white one. They found a red one Thursday night that had apparently "just got off the truck that day" so they said. Before they found this in the back of the dealership (awaiting PDI) they did a dealer check and said there wasn't even one red one within a hundred miles of the dealership. We ended up buying it today, but there were a bunch of customers wanting that color car today. Even during the delivery process there were some very upset customers watching us get the only red one they had. Maybe it's because I live in Arizona, and Hyundai thinks we only want silver and grey cars, but why the lack of red Elantra's? Do they have more red cars in other parts of the country? According to our sales guy, there were people clamoring for the one red one we bought today, and he had to tell a couple sales people it was already taken.

The dealer advertises this auto "butler" paint protectant stuff. They "charge" $799 I believe. I refused to pay for that and think it's just a phony dealer add on, but is there any validity to it? Do they actually apply anything to these cars from the moment it gets off the truck until it goes out on the lot? Speaking of that, is there any general guideline on how soon the car needs to be waxed?

I see that the front seats have heaters, and in the quick reference guide, it mentions rear seat heaters too. I forgot to ask the salesman, but where is rear seat heater button located? Does it come standard when you have the front seat heaters?

Does anyone know of an aftermarket "bra" I can buy for the Elantra? All my cars get so many front end paint chips, and I would like to protect this car better.

And finally, does anyone know of any aftermarket (or factory) floor mats that come in the beige/tan color? I love our beige/tan interior but they make the carpet and floor mats black. I think matching beige/tan floor mats would look really nice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome Jbobst,

A GT model is designated GD, GLS sedan is an MD. I looked far and wide to find my Red Allure GLS equipped how I wanted it. I paid less and got more. Here we have one shop that will apply a rubbery clear coating to the front end that they claim won't be damaged unless hit hard enough to dent the metal, for about half that price. Wax it now and protect it would be my opinion. A GLS has front seat heaters only, only the Limited comes with rear seat heaters stock. As for floor mats I bought Kraco tan heavy duty rubber and carpet forged floor mats at Costco, trimmed drivers to fit, two small holes for the hooks and I like them. The rear mats are a little small but I don't mind them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm only able to answer your first and then a few of your last questions.

If you got the sedan (four door) or the new coupe (two door), then that's an MD.
Also new this year was the Elantra GT, a five door hatchback and a little different car all around, in exterior/interior design and some new features. The GT is the GD series. The GT replaced the retire Elantra Touring.

The front seat heater switches are on the center tower above the console in the HVAC control area. The back seat heat switches are above the power window switches back there on the arm rests.

Lastly, for aftermarket floor mats, try looking into Weathertech mats. They're most prolific out there and are unsurpassed in their quality. They will likely have the colors you're looking for.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Congrats on your purchase!

The heated rear seats are a Limited-only feature as the GLS preferred package only includes heated front seats. The switch would look like this if you had them:

·
Registered
132 Posts
The dealer advertises this auto "butler" paint protectant stuff. They "charge" $799 I believe. I refused to pay for that and think it's just a phony dealer add on......
You are correct!!!!

All you need to do is to use a good wax twice a year and your car will look great. I've detailed cars as a sideline for years (have also attended multiday seminars with professionals), and all I do is use a "clay bar" (to get contaminants off the surface), "cleaner" (to eliminate any chemicals left by the clay bar), good "wax" and a "sealer". This will protect your cars finish for about (6) months. I usually do this twice a year.

Tom

·
Registered
418 Posts
I had a beige interior on my Ridgeline and though you may think tan/beige floor mats would look good they will also look a lot dirtier after a couple of years as opposed to the black. JMOFWIW.

I do like the Weathertech mats.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The dealer advertises this auto "butler" paint protectant stuff. They "charge" $799 I believe. I refused to pay for that and think it's just a phony dealer add on, but is there any validity to it? Do they actually apply anything to these cars from the moment it gets off the truck until it goes out on the lot? Speaking of that, is there any general guideline on how soon the car needs to be waxed?

I see that the front seats have heaters, and in the quick reference guide, it mentions rear seat heaters too. I forgot to ask the salesman, but where is rear seat heater button located? Does it come standard when you have the front seat heaters?

Does anyone know of an aftermarket "bra" I can buy for the Elantra? All my cars get so many front end paint chips, and I would like to protect this car better.

And finally, does anyone know of any aftermarket (or factory) floor mats that come in the beige/tan color? I love our beige/tan interior but they make the carpet and floor mats black. I think matching beige/tan floor mats would look really nice.

Thanks!

If you use this
Chemical Guys CLY_202_S - Poly Clay Bar Refill, Light Duty with Storage Case
and this
Chemical Guys WAC_CLY_100_16 - Luber - Synthetic Lubricant & Detailer (16 oz)

then this
Chemical Guys WAC_118_16 - JetSeal 109 Sealant and Paint Protectant (16 oz)
or this
Paint Sealant, 8 Ounces - Griot's Garage

Then your favorite wax, you're doing more for your car than the dealer service, and a whole lot more reasonable cost.

Note the Labor Day sale prices at Chemical Guys! :D

These mats (I have black ones) are EXCELLENT!
WeatherTech Custom Fit Front FloorLiner for Hyundai Elantra, Tan : Amazon.com : Automotive

·
6,836 Posts
:00000732: to the Elantra fold, jbobst. Sounds like that dealership wasn't lowering their price for you because they knew that had a rare color that you wanted, and they could just sell it to someone else if you walked away. :rolleyes: Kinda too bad, but I'm glad you got the color you wanted!

I think the "protection" is snake oil, and I did fall prey to it with my Elantra, although I just worked the cost into my payments rather than pay up front.

Clay bar, as the others recommended, is awesome. Just did my Leaf for the first time a couple weeks ago, and it looked like new (the car's a little over a year with me).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts