Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am a veteran on b15u.com. I come from owning a 310whp Sentra to the Elantra, and it's quite a shock to say the least. Lol. I had plenty of fun with it, but times are changing and I need a good reliable commuter.

I don't plan to touch this car with any modifications, although I would really love too. I've always been an advocate for being a part of the car community, especially the car you own. So I will probably browse the area to see what people are achieving, and learn what I can from others for maintenance purposes.

I would post some pics, but I can't put links for up to 7 days?

·
22,793 Posts
Nice decision to purchase the Elantra. I might be a little prejudiced, however. :wink2: You'll certainly find what you're looking for on here. From soup to nuts and everything in-between. Great group of members. Welcome to the family.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
So, no regrets on the new car just miss the old one is what you are saying! I sold my loved Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 this year and miss it once in a while but then I think of the maintenance, premium fuel, etc and I no longer have regrets. Elantra is exactly what we wanted and so far no issues. Hopefully it will grow on you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, no regrets on the new car just miss the old one is what you are saying! I sold my loved Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 this year and miss it once in a while but then I think of the maintenance, premium fuel, etc and I no longer have regrets. Elantra is exactly what we wanted and so far no issues. Hopefully it will grow on you.
Yeah, I'm sure I'll love it. I will just miss the speed. I was going to get a 2013 sonata SE 2.0T, but saving $130 a month is a bit more practical. It'll help me save for a toy instead if using my DD as my fun car.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure I'll love it. I will just miss the speed.
Altho the Elantra only has 148HP, you'll find it even worse, since Elantra has a measly 131ft-lbs of torque. That means if you try for higher mpg, you'll really have to featherfoot. If you don't, you may have mpg complaints like many others. However, Elantra can give OK mpg. My auto tranny Elantra, from May to November, has averaged 39mpg, with mostly highway & backroad driving. With cooler & cold weather here, the mpg is dropping now.

Drive at the speeds where your auto(?) tranny drops into its highest gears & reduce speeds. Auto Elantra drops into 6th gear at 45mph, & will hold 6th gear down to 35-36mph, with careful featherfooting. Under such conditions you can really help keep mpg high.

Watch your tire pressures, & try to find 100% gasoline(ethanol-free), which you can do at pure-gas.org, with a great zoomable map to the 7600+ sources. If you live in Canton, Ohio, you can find 87 octane 100% gasoline at the marina in Akron. Some 100% gasoline marinas cater to boats, so you may have to carry 5 gallon gas containers to any small dock facilities. But 100% gasoline is worth it, altho lately it has become more expensive than its usual high price. Other towns around Canton have 90 & 91 octane, which will NOT give you any better mpg & normally will cost even more.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Welcome! I too came from a sentra, a 04 sentra SE-R Spec V. I now have a 2013 accent and my wife has a 2013 elantra. While both cars are very comfortable, sometimes out in the open road i do miss the power!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome! I too came from a sentra, a 04 sentra SE-R Spec V. I now have a 2013 accent and my wife has a 2013 elantra. While both cars are very comfortable, sometimes out in the open road i do miss the power!
Nice, I had a 2006 ser Specv that was turboed with all sorts of upgrades. Pretty much everything suspension wise, big brakes, 5x114 lug conversion, you name it. Lol

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I live in Canton GA. Looks like there are a couple places near the lake that are nowhere near my commutes.
That's too bad. Georgia has a lots of 100% gasoline stations. If you're ever over by Waleska, 10 miles from Canton with an empty gas tank, try some of their 100% gasoline gas, just to see what your missing. You won't have lots more power(a trace more), but you'll notice how much further your gas tank will take you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts