Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday we tore into my 05 2.7 ltr. Wow what a challenge, im very fortunate my friend is a retired jet engine mech.
We figured out where my smoke at start up was coming from and its not valve seals. First thing is it appears the former owners never changed the oil the sludge was really thick, the head closest to the front was kinda dry especially compared to the back head. I actually scraped all the sludge off and vacumed everything out, parafin chunks. The back head wasnt near as bad, we soaked and cleaned the valve covers and everything else. I went ahead and repaced the timing belt & water pump etc. The intake tubes or plenum ( not to sure of the proper name ) had 3-5 ounces of oil in it. My buddy seemed to think thats where i am getting the smoke from at start up. We also changed the plugs and wires, the old plugs looked great. Tomorrow we are going to remove the lower pan and clean it up> So the advice i need is should i sell or trade the car off, run it for a while on high detergent oil and change often or do a motor flush? I value all opinions and thanks. And does anyone have a guess as to the cost of a used engine in case it blows up tomorrow.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sounds like the sludge had some of the oil return passages from the top of heads at least partially plugged, allowing excess oil to remain on the heads and get sucked up through the PVC system. If you believe you can get it cleaned out enough and the vehicle is otherwise worthwhile keeping, it is probably realistic to do several frequent oil changes and hope for the best. You already have the TB, WP, etc. investments done, so what have you got to lose?
I'd be tempted to plumb a real pressure gauge into the oil system and keep close watch on oil pressures for awhile. Yeah, it would be best to completely disassemble the engine and clean out the block and crank passages, but that may be overkill - only you can decide how bad it really is for $$ you want to put in it.
If you do the flush and drive method, I would prefer to see synthetic blend oil used as it may prevent any sludge from forming again. All my engines use either synthetic blend or full synthetic and look very clean inside. Cars I buy new run full syn, and used car purchases run syn blend.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David im confident you are correct, i guess the question is how long the engine will last if the engine flush doesnt work. My temptation is to do the flush and drive it with frequent oil changes and hope for the best. I havnt been succesful in finding any prices on a decent used engine in my area, if they arnt to expensive i could just drive it until it blows. It will be interesting to see if anyone answers on here thats had the same type of situation. people should have their a$$ kicked for not maintaining their cars correctly. Especially the ones that sell em to me...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don't sell it; you are on the right track

Bulldozer, it sounds like you found what I mentioned as your oil smoking source in my reply to your last post - "valve seals - maybe; valve covers - yes". The oil you found in the intake (Hyundai calls it a 'surge tank' (?)) probably pressed up from the seals breaking/leaking in the spark plug tubes and for sure from the PCV system clogging over time - those little passages in the valve covers in my were gunked up bad. I found in research that in 2004 Hyundai made a mod to the valve covers by removing the PCV breather hose and connector nipples that is shared between between both valve covers, supposedly to correct the pressure differential of oil-misted air flowing through the actual PCV hose and valve itself. So, 2003 and earlier owners like me are stuck with removing valve covers, soaking them to clean thoroughly, and replacing seals - it's a design defect that leaves it up to the owner to correct every 150k miles on their own I guess because you can NOT just trade in your old valve covers for the 2004 versions as they don't fit (go figure!). Anyway, you are on the right path here - don't sell the car, keep it. The 2.7L engine is a tank by today's standards and the work you are doing will keep it going strong. I think the idea of a couple of oil changes will work fine, although make SURE you use the Hyundai oil filter to maintain proper pressure - the after market filters do NOT meet the pressure or filtration standards for this engine. Yes, the Hyundai filter is expensive at the dealer, but well worth it in the end. I used a combination of after market and Hyundai oil filters over the last 150k miles and always found that the aftermarket ones caused the valves to clatter a bit on cold days. Flush it out with a few oil changes in the next 5k miles as you drive it and you should be ok, I don't think you need to remove the oil pan though. For the oil in the surge tank/intake plenum, I would recommend just flushing it out with solvent, but I would also remove that intake air temperature sensor on the back of the tank and clean it thoroughly as well with electrical contact solvent type cleaner. And now would be a great time to also thoroughly clean the throttle body, there is always a ton of carbon on the butterfly/throttle valve in these TBs. After I did all of that and completed the valve cover gasket replacement/cleaning job, the engine has run great since and mileage dramatically increased. Keep going, you are on the right track! ^_^

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ashwood, we did replace every gasket, along with the tube seals, of coarse plugs, wires etc. Every part was cleaned in a parts washer.
My son also got to work his butt off so it was a great experience for him, i bet he spent an hour cleaning each valve cover. If anything he dang sure learned what happens when you dont maintain a car properly. Every teenager should have to do this type of maintenance at least once , be a bunch of smarter car owners in the future.

·
22,793 Posts
My son also got to work his butt off so it was a great experience for him, i bet he spent an hour cleaning each valve cover. If anything he dang sure learned what happens when you dont maintain a car properly. Every teenager should have to do this type of maintenance at least once , be a bunch of smarter car owners in the future.
I keep hearing that old message, "Do as I say, not as I do," playing inside my head. ;)

Here's hoping that all of that hard work will pay dividends! Let us know how things progress.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I keep hearing that old message, "Do as I say, not as I do," playing inside my head. ;)

Okie, After laying on my big old belly on top of the hood latch for what seemed like forever trying to get the throttle assembly bolted back on my son commented he was getting off easy.

Update, drove the car approx 10 miles looks like the water pump is leaking, cant tell if its the gasket or weep hole but back to work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So we took the engine apart again today, looks like the water pump is bad. This was a gates timing belt set, so im not sure where the pump was made. Any one need a timing belt replaced im getting good at it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Replaced the new water pump. Then we did a B&G Dinamic engine flush to clean up the sludge. The B&G stuff was developed for Volkswagon as they had a bad sludge problem a while back. You drain oil and replace it with 4.8 litrs of the flush, idle the engine for 30 min. Drain flush replace filter, add new oil and run it for 20 min drain and repace filter again. Blackest oil i ever drained out of an engine. Tomorrow we are going to remove the oil pan and clean it . This will be the 3rd oil change since the flush so hopefully the engine will last awile.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts