Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one who refuses to roll the windows down out of fear the the new car smell will vanish??? LOL.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I don't know why you would want to keep the sonata's new car smell... maybe mine is different but i think the sonata has the worst new car smell of all. Ford, on the other hand, has the best..... those koreans musta done something to our cars...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, as stated before, I have zero experience with a new car so this is the only one I can judge. It def smells better than my mazda 6. After 5 years with a kid who plays sports, the lack of smelly gym socks is a plus.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
854 Posts
I refuse to roll the windows down but that's only because i'll become toast if I do roll them down. **** this florida sun!

Just keep your car clean, don't eat in it and it will last longer. You could always buy...

·
Registered
277 Posts
QUOTE (eyecue @ Nov 2 2010, 03:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368400
I refuse to roll the windows down but that's only because i'll become toast if I do roll them down. **** this florida sun!
It only got to mid 80's today, and I was driving around with my windows down !
You can put them down this weekend after the cold front arrives.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
The biggest thing you can do? Keep food out of the car!!

·
1,914 Posts
Up until last week, I had my windows down and sunroof open every afternoon. I still have the new car smell, but not as good as it was when I bought the car a month and a half ago. The Sonata doesn't have the best new car car smell, but I found the SE and GLS's smell better without the "leather".

·
Registered
587 Posts
When I bought my Sonata used in 2008, it had the BEST smelling air freshner in it. I have half a mind to go back and ask for it, it was something thrown under the seat. The new car smell scent you buy in the store smells horrid, in fact I threw mine out the window and the smelled rank for weeks. Who are they trying to kid!?

·
Registered
247 Posts
QUOTE (Big B @ Nov 2 2010, 05:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368476
When I bought my Sonata used in 2008, it had the BEST smelling air freshner in it. I have half a mind to go back and ask for it, it was something thrown under the seat. The new car smell scent you buy in the store smells horrid, in fact I threw mine out the window and the smelled rank for weeks. Who are they trying to kid!?
please tell me what it was.

·
Registered
713 Posts
You all know that the "smell" is the out gassing of the all the plastics and carpeting. While it's association with a new car makes it a pleasant smell, it's prob not that good for our lungs. I try to keep the windows down as much as possible when I buy a new car to eliminate the dangers to my body and let the chemicals escape. Just the way I do things, being in the medical field I have my OCD moments.

Ray

·
Registered
84 Posts
QUOTE (crayb @ Nov 3 2010, 01:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368578
You all know that the "smell" is the out gassing of the all the plastics and carpeting. While it's association with a new car makes it a pleasant smell, it's prob not that good for our lungs. I try to keep the windows down as much as possible when I buy a new car to eliminate the dangers to my body and let the chemicals escape. Just the way I do things, being in the medical field I have my OCD moments.

Ray
Yes, I once watched from a TV that the new car smell is actually bad for you. So they highly recommended the buyers of new cars to open their windows as much as possible when driving and when parked in a garage. The chemicals inside a new car can't be good for you. When I bought my new car, I open the windows as much as possible to get rid of the new car smell.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Of all the things in a car that can kill you, I think the new car smell is pretty low on the list. You're far more likely to die crashing it than you are by the chemicals emitted by the plastics. Just sayin'...

·
Registered
33 Posts
QUOTE (crayb @ Nov 3 2010, 01:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368578

Ray
I'm not a smoker, but I understand that smoking heavily in the car with the windows closed will also get rid of that new car smell and its related health hazards. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
QUOTE (shong008 @ Nov 3 2010, 04:50 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368595
Yes, I once watched from a TV that the new car smell is actually bad for you. So they highly recommended the buyers of new cars to open their windows as much as possible when driving and when parked in a garage. The chemicals inside a new car can't be good for you. When I bought my new car, I open the windows as much as possible to get rid of the new car smell.
QUOTE (lovemysonata)
Of all the things in a car that can kill you, I think the new car smell is pretty low on the list. You're far more likely to die crashing it than you are by the chemicals emitted by the plastics. Just sayin'...
Of all the things in my LIFE that could kill me, I think the new car smell is pretty low on the list!

I've actually considered keeping a package of pipe tobacco in my car once the "new car smell" dies out. I don't smoke, but I do like the smell of pipe tobacco.... AND no one would mistake it for a "chick car!" ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts