Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've had my 2016 Sonata SE for a few months now. Currently at 51K miles, and starting to notice some issues. Unfortunately, starting to notice some noises, and as we all know, random noises are never good.

Firstly, one day, I had my windows down, and as I started turning I heard occasional clicking noises. I've done little research but understand it may be the CV Joints or Struts. To my understanding, it is a little early on for these problems to arrise. Any way to check to make sure its not the CV Joints?

Secondly, I have noticed some rattling when I accelerate (only noticeable when in compact spaces and the noise echoes back into the car like: next to concrete barriers, fences). No clue at all what this could be, many different answers on google. It's light rattling strictly when accelerating.

Hoping these arent significant issues. I rarely have time to go have these things checked out, so I figured I'd ask here first.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
It is early for CV joint failure unless a boot got damaged by some freak road debris. If torn, the boot will loose the bearing grease and cause early failure. It's a long shot, but could happen. Could also be a brake pad sticking in the caliper. Makes a nice clicking sound as it sticks and releases. Might try lightly touching the brakes when you hear it and see if the noise changes. Make sure all your lug nuts are properly tightened. Vehicle is still under the 5/60 warranty.

Light valve clatter can happen with poor fuel. If it is as light as you describe, try changing fuel brand and add a can of Techron to see if the problem changes. You are driving a '16. The '15 and beyond have a different block than the '11 through '14. Learned that from the dealer and verified by checking the part numbers on the block for those years.

·
Registered
689 Posts
What you are hearing during acceleration is ping. You'll hear it too when accelerating uphill

Your dealer may insist you do a fuel induction service not covered by warranty. I had a Hyundai Foreman sit ride with me and I easily replicated the sound. he also said I can use premium unleaded fuel. I can't afford high octane, that's why I got sonata...

Fuel injection cleaner didn't help reduce noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Any dealer that tells you to use premium gas is an idiot and just trying to cover up for a carbon problem.
If the owner's manual says 87 octane is fine then why would you ever need to use 91 octane so the engine will run without trying to destroy itself?

·
Registered
393 Posts
It happens with my sonata as well when accelerating usually from 50kmph to 80kmph I hear something lightly knocking sound coming from passenger side under hood ( like something soft plastic piece got stuck in wheel and it’s hitting somewhere as wheel moving faster ).

Also I hear knocking sound when I go over some light bumps it recently started after I drove on some gravel road and over some puddles but no pot holes. I don’t hear it at all while turning if road is smooth. Might be some gravel stuck underneath the body shield cover or something wrong with struts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had a clicking noise when turning. I really only heard it in enclosed areas liek a garage because it wasn't overwhelming. It was on both sides and even when the car was parked and i turned i would hear it. Apparently it was a wheel hub failure at 6,000 miles. they were replaced under warranty, made sure they replace both of them. I never had a "wheel hub" failure before but sometimes things just break

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
It is not common, but yes, defective brand new parts can and do get installed.
Good thing they replaced both sides.
I would have not been comfortable with them doing just one side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick Update

My Mechanic diagnosed the clicking noise which was actually coming from the steering column. As for the rattling, that is still undiagnosed. He is going to take a look tomorrow when the steering column parts come in.

·
Registered
689 Posts
aren't you fixing this at the Dealer under warranty?

Quick Update

My Mechanic diagnosed the clicking noise which was actually coming from the steering column. As for the rattling, that is still undiagnosed. He is going to take a look tomorrow when the steering column parts come in.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quick Update

It is a metallic type rattle? Check the heat shield. If it's not tight it will vibrate against the exhaust pipe and give you the rattle under acceleration.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts