Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 2013 Elantra Limited last weekend. It appears the car is having some issues with the transmission shifter. I am not sure if its tranny related, but I highly suspect it is. Dealer gave me the usual bs not being able to duplicate the symptoms. Has anyone experienced this issue?

1. Intermittently, gear selector would get stuck in neutral, when I try to put
the car into P, after a long or a short drive.
2. I would have to wiggle the shifter to get into P, or I would have to shift to
D, and then I am able to shift back into P.

I absolutely am amazed at the unwillingness to help from the dealer. I was so pissed that I even told the fleet manager,who sold me the car, regarding the poor service I received from their service dept.

·
22,788 Posts
Got another dealer nearby? Like doctors, always wise to get a 2nd opinion if you're not feeling too good about the first one.

And when you say "Dealer," so you mean the Service Manager, service writer. or the idiot that sold you the car? Go see the General Manager if the service department personnel don't help. (And let them know you're going. It could save you a trip to the GM.)

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
1. Intermittently, gear selector would get stuck in neutral, when I try to put
the car into P, after a long or a short drive.
It is necessary to have your foot firmly on the brake to shift OUT of Park......and I think the same thing is true for shifting INTO Park.

Given the circumstances that you report, the "service" people are morons if they didn't discuss that with you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is necessary to have your foot firmly on the brake to shift OUT of Park......and I think the same thing is true for shifting INTO Park.

Given the circumstances that you report, the "service" people are morons if they didn't discuss that with you.
Trust me, my foot is firmly pressed all the way down on the brakes, and it still does that intermittently. I gave up on their service department as soon as the representative told me they couldn't duplicate the issue. Their tone was very rude and condescending.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Got another dealer nearby? Like doctors, always wise to get a 2nd opinion if you're not feeling too good about the first one.

And when you say "Dealer," so you mean the Service Manager, service writer. or the idiot that sold you the car? Go see the General Manager if the service department personnel don't help. (And let them know you're going. It could save you a trip to the GM.)
Yes, there is another dealer near by. I definitely will bring the car to get a second opinion. The service rep was very rude when I called to get an update. Talked to me as if I was wasting their time, trying to freeload something. I was so pissed I even spoke to the fleet manager, who sold me the car, about their service dept. I also wanted to talk to their General Manager. He just told me he would forward my complaint to the General Manager and would take care of it. Now I don't know what "take care of it" means, I suspect it will just end with no resolution. So far I haven't heard anything from them regarding my complaint. And I don't anticipate any call backs since it has been a few days after the fact. I just hope I better not have purchased a lemon. Otherwise, the dealer is going to be hearing from my lawyer.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I know at times if I'm in a hurry or over-eager to move the shifter anywhere between D, R and P it sometimes gets stuck or won't go past N. Especially going from D to R. Not sure why but I find if I just slow down a bit, make sure the car is stopped and my foot is on the brake, then it works fine.

Trying to force it or shift it too quickly, I find it usually won't go. It needs a light touch. ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know at times if I'm in a hurry or over-eager to move the shifter anywhere between D, R and P it sometimes gets stuck or won't go past N. Especially going from D to R. Not sure why but I find if I just slow down a bit, make sure the car is stopped and my foot is on the brake, then it works fine.

Trying to force it or shift it too quickly, I find it usually won't go. It needs a light touch. ;)
Thank you for the info. I'll definitely take it easy on the selector.:)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Take it back!!!! Get a freakn lawyer.. Not kool.. I hope you guys work it out with dealership:mellow:.. I'll be freakn out right now that happens to me:(

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

Same experience here.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Another suggestion is to make sure to use your e-brake when parking too. I found that it makes a huge difference compared to only using the tranny to keep it in place.

Just a thought though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Take it back!!!! Get a freakn lawyer.. Not kool.. I hope you guys work it out with dealership:mellow:.. I'll be freakn out right now that happens to me:(
I honestly want to take it back, but my experience with the service I received made me reluctant. I will try the dealer closer to my house to get a second opinion. By the way, the car wobbles between 40-60 mph since day one. The dealer also said they could not duplicate the issue. Not a big deal as the tires just need balancing.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Another suggestion is to make sure to use your e-brake when parking too. I found that it makes a huge difference compared to only using the tranny to keep it in place.

Just a thought though.
+1

Should always use your "parking brake" when you park. ;)

It will also keep it in good working order. Have seen so many cars where people did not use it and when they needed it, it either didn't work, was seized, broke the cables, or would not release once applied.

·
Registered
103 Posts
We too have experienced similar issues only when trying to shift in a hurry. Slow and methodical all is well, i think the internal safety in the shifter console is TOO sensitive and needs a slight pause to drop past the detent to allow N to R movement.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thank you too all who have responded to the thread. I have filed a formal complaint with Hyundai of America regarding my experience an the issues i have with the car since day one. They(dealer's name will be kept anonymous)have probably one of the most poorly managed service dept i have ever experienced. The first day I got my car, the car was dirty, and the wheels weren't even cleaned. Secondly, when I picked up my car from the diagnosis for transmission and vibration issues, front driver side fender and hood had black water spot marks all over. Thirdly, when I had asked for a shuttle to give me a ride to pick up the car, the service rep pretty much declined my request and insinuated, "Its your problem to arrange your own transportation, not ours." I was so furious, I didn't even want to waste my time with those idiots. To add insult to an injury, no one had the courtesy to call to inform me that my car had been ready. I had to call to find out for myself. I am now taking my car to a different dealer, which, I have high hopes for. We shall see whether the management will contact me to offer an explanation or an apology. Will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thank you too all who have responded to the thread. I have filed a formal complaint with Hyundai of America regarding my experience an the issues i have with the car since day one. They(dealer's name will be kept anonymous)have probably one of the most poorly managed service dept i have ever experienced. The first day I got my car, the car was dirty, and the wheels weren't even cleaned. Secondly, when I picked up my car from the diagnosis for transmission and vibration issues, front driver side fender and hood had black water spot marks all over. Thirdly, when I had asked for a shuttle to give me a ride to pick up the car, the service rep pretty much declined my request and insinuated, "Its your problem to arrange your own transportation, not ours." I was so furious, I didn't even want to waste my time with those idiots. To add insult to an injury, no one had the courtesy to call to inform me that my car had been ready. I had to call to find out for myself. I am now taking my car to a different dealer, which, I have high hopes for. We shall see whether the management will contact me to offer an explanation or an apology. Will keep everyone posted.
I'm saddened that you are having this experience :mad:

This is a prime example that a dealership can make or break a brand.

I personally have had excellent dealings with my local service center, they try to wash the car anytime we show up lol and we always get calls the day after any service is done.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm saddened that you are having this experience :mad:

This is a prime example that a dealership can make or break a brand.

I personally have had excellent dealings with my local service center, they try to wash the car anytime we show up lol and we always get calls the day after any service is done.

I envy the great relationship you have with service dept. IMO, they are the front line for any car brand. It's the overall after the fact(purchase) experience that creates the total brand loyalty. I still haven't given up hope on Hyundai.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I envy the great relationship you have with service dept. IMO, they are the front line for any car brand. It's the overall after the fact(purchase) experience that creates the total brand loyalty. I still haven't given up hope on Hyundai.
The local Volvo Commercial dealer we work with has such bad service and warranty handlings they have turned MANY away from the volvo hd trucks in this area. I've seen a fleet of 50 trucks switch brands after a year of ownership :eek:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The local Volvo Commercial dealer we work with has such bad service and warranty handlings they have turned MANY away from the volvo hd trucks in this area. I've seen a fleet of 50 trucks switch brands after a year of ownership :eek:
wow,
I am speechless. ...:eek:

·
6,836 Posts
Belated :00000732: elantraltd13. I'm in agreement with the "go to another dealer." I didn't go to another dealer because they were bad, but because I moved and realized that the dealer closer to home actually put me more at ease. They took care of my car every time with no hassle, including that peeling steering wheel issue.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Cannot help but wonder if it has one of the faulty brake switches in it...?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts