Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in January I had a crankshaft position sensor go. In doing research on that several forums recommended replacing the camshaft position sensor since they typically go around the same time. I purchased my crankshaft sensor from the dealer and had some issues (they said they had it in stock after driving 2 hours they didn't, etc.) so I didn't want to go through the same thing with the camshaft sensor and looked online for a replacement.

I found one on Rockauto from Standard Motor Products. I put it on the shelf to do at the same time I replaced my valve cover gasket since it's right next to it...and as things go I finally got around to doing that last week and replaced the sensor at the same time (old sensor was working fine just trying to be preemptive).

I started the engine a couple times to make sure I didn't have any leaks from the gasket and to my surprise my CEL came on...my code reader said it was a P034 camshaft position sensor malfunction. Thinking maybe Rockauto sent me the incorrect sensor I pulled the new one out and compared it to my original sensor and they were exact, even down to the small writing on it 39350-23500, only thing it's missing is the small H in the circle.

So I reinstalled the old sensor, restarted the car a couple times and the CEL went out. Put the new sensor back in CEL came back, finally put the old sensor back in.

The next day I called Rockauto and complained they had sent me a defective sensor, they told me sorry I was out of the 90 day/3000 mile warranty and there was nothing they could do for me since they had sold quite a few of these sensors and hadn't had any returned as defective. I asked for the manufacturer's phone number and they gave it to me.

I called Standard Motor Products and was transferred to the Quality Control team. I spoke to David and explained the issue I was having and that even though I was out of warranty could he help me out. He said that SMP does not manufacture this sensor and in fact it is the same manufacturer as the OE and that they don't see any problems with this sensor. However, he said that he was very sorry for the inconvenience and would ship me out a new sensor immediately.

That's the kind of support I like to see from a company!

So, I got the sensor today and installed it and it still sets my CEL!!!!

Anyone have any thoughts as to why this would happen? I now have two sensors that I guess are good but for whatever reason won't work with my 2001 Elantra...I would put it down to junk manufacturing but why aren't other reporting problems?

Thanks for any help!!!

Frank

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
So what codes are you getting?

Did you clear the codes each time you changed something? The cel doesn't go away by itself.

Does it run good with the new sensors? I'd put the new sensors in and clear the codes.

The reason you replace these sensors in pairs is because sometimes you get a code for one when the problem is the other sensor, not because they go bad at the same time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

I'm getting "P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction" when I have the new camshaft position sensor installed.

Yes, I did clear the code and yes it (and the CEL) does come back anytime the new camshaft sensor is installed. When I put the original sensor in and clear the code the CEL doesn't come back on, no matter how many times I start it.

If I don't clear the code and put the original sensor in and start the car 5 times the Check Engine Light goes out.

The car seems to run OK with the CEL on and the new sensor installed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.