Hyundai Forums banner

New bulbs changed headlight pattern?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Bearcats 
#1 ·
Hello, I have have been using the OEM headlight bulbs in my 2011 Sonata until last week when one of them went out. I decided to replace both of them with the "SilverStar zXe" as I wanted something brighter and more white. The brightness and color are better (not as much as I hoped) but now I've noticed that the "coverage" is not the same as before.

My understanding is that the drivers side should be filtered slightly so that it does not blind on coming traffic and then the passenger side is more for distance. Here is an illustration of what I think is supposed to be correct:

And here is what my headlights look like now after putting in the new bulbs:

It seems as if things are reversed, and there is a weird vertical bright spot on the passenger side and less coverage in the distance. Since these headlights have projectors, I don't believe there is any kind of adjustments I can make, the only thing I have not tried is swapping the bulbs, but since they aren't directional I don't think that would make any difference.

Here are two more pics of the lights up against a wall:

Does anyone know if this can be adjusted? I'd like to make the passenger side bulb have the same kind of fill as the drivers side.

Thanks,

Scott

See less See more
#3 ·
vote is for improperly seated bulb

I've gone thru 4-5 different brands and haven't ever had any beam alignment changes

Swap bulbs from left to right and right to left. Sometimes, although rare, the bulb filament is defective.

#4 · (Edited)
Verify bulb properly index to socket of lamp...

Quite common for somebody to do with H7 bulb (if indeed H7 equipped),, that flat and tab have a purpose

Attachments

#5 ·
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
I will take another look inside the passenger side assembly to confirm the bulb is installed in the right orientation. If it is, I'll swap the bulbs and see if the issue follows to the other side. If it does then I know its the bulb.
Also thanks sbr711 for that clear photo!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.